Preparing to retire in Thailand

autanic

Money wont matter, facilities wont matter, its all about "attitude" If you dont have the right attitude and approach it wont matter what you have or dont have as it will all come crashing down anyway.

If you can relax, go with the flow, accept that certain things are just the way they are and learn to adapt to your environment and make necessary adjustments and compromises then you'll be just fine.

You have to "unlearn" many things, if you cant, you will be miserable and the initial excitement and anticipation will soon fade and you will become irritated, uncomfortable and moaning constantly at every opportunity.

Its been said many times "dont spend any more than you can walk away from" Best advice is RENT initially for a few years whilst you get settled and see if its for you.

I think CharlieH you have just cleared up around 99% of all the entire posts ever posted on Thai Visa. Attitude is of the paramount importance. I have read and written some "moan posts" about how this is annoying and that is just not right, but attitude is what makes a home or just a house somewhere in South East Asia.

You know I look around at this Country and I see shockingly nice landscapes, opulent homes, welcoming people, gorgeous girls and I think to myself what a wonderful world. No really I do, I mean you only have to turn on the news back home in England to feel like sitting down with a bottle and getting wasted like the vast majority of the population. There is something special about Thailand and I think CharlieH, you are right it is my attitude towards it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can my old man be wrong your logic us so flawed ok so I rent the house out 2 bed village location I guess 7500 tops then I have to rent somewhere to live !!!! Awaiting response

Read below or don't. There's also a second follow-up paper. I spent most of 2000-2008 trying to get people to understand basic economics. I'm not going through that again.

http://www.andrewfarlow.com/part1ukhousing.pdf

Not interested in the jargon crap question is if I rent my house out here how do I make money as I have to have somewhere to live so ergo I have to rent 7500 rent from house if I'm lucky 7500 to rent somewhere makes no economic or common sense plus I expect elect/water would cost more in rented accom

Many posters seem concerned about planning what to do once retired.

I lived a vacuous and intrinsically pointless existence for 30 years when I was earning a living back in Europe. Now that I have retired to Thailand I still live exactly the same way, except that I no longer have to waste so much of my time working.

Suits me.

Me too - retirement to me is a license to 'chill' & Thailand's a great place in which to do it. Adjustments have to be made for sure regarding both retirement and Thailand but too much planning and your back in the harness!

The level of how good your retirement will depends on your lifestyle at home.Think about how you live where you live what you enjoy and do regularly. Then see if that is available in Thailand.If it is then you can enjoy many things you like here same as at home. If you find you cannot do those things here ,ask yourself is it worth the risk of finding other things to fill your time and get enjoyment.

I will give myself as an example.

In Canada, I sailed and raced and committed for yacht races up to the international level. Cruised the west coast to Alaska and around Vancouver Island. Crabbed,shrimped ,fished of my boats. Was active on the water. Actually was on the water just about every day.I lived near my club.

In Thailand I now live away from the water and miss it. I had to change priorities. I now have a wife and family which I didnot in Canada,I prioritized. I wanted a family and wife,so I gave up the sailing etc to get it.You may have to do the same.

What is fun for a holiday gets old quickly in everyday life.If you burn bridges at retirement age life can get harsh.

All I am saying is look before you leap.

I think that maybe 8 months here and four in the home country would be a good idea until at least you have began to understand just what it is like to live here full time but possibly suffering from the The "Thai rhapsody syndrome" nothing will stop you from getting over here Poste haste!

"Dont burn your bridges" is one of the best pieces of advice that you could hear at this moment in time until that is you know what you are letting yourself in for.

I certainly would have done things differently if I had not been a victim of the "Thailand Rhapsody syndrome"

You will not know you have made the right decision until after maybe two or three years living here and then even if you had made the right decision you would probably have a different point of view than the one you started with.

The other contingency is having good luck, without it in the woman of your choice or your ability to adapt and especially with your health you possibly could become one of the bad statistic so abundant on this forum

Having said that I know more success stories than I do failures but then again I keep out of the bars and that insidious atmosphere in the farang bars in the brightside.

This is because i learned a long time ago to stay away from those who with their plausible tongues and barrack room knowledge that would have me like them prisoners of a lifestyle that is doomed to end in disaster

Sports, Golf, cycling, running are well catered for here in pattaya and if you join those types of groups it amazing just how straight and clear your brain can become with all the banter, stimulation, exercise, fresh air and bonhomie that is so prevalent .

The bars on the other hand, apart from the sporting bars that is are not IMHO conducive to either good healthy lifestyles or indeed positive thinking

In other words Boredom is the main problem when you come to live over here permanently but if you have a plan to beat that boredom then you will find the time like many on here to do all those things you didn't have time to do where you came from.

Two replies that I can personally identify with. Didn't scout it out to see just exactly what's NOT available here to keep myself entertained mentally and physically. I have to accept that living here full time is not for me. I am bored, need more to do.

Thanks

Edited by Nowisee

It's more something in between. There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the renting vs. owning coin. It's not purely emotional (from my tenant's point of view) when I tell them I'll be tearing down their buildings next year to build something else.... so please move your businesses and families somewhere else. True, if you're single or live a kind of life than can readily be moved in suitcases, then renting is a lot easier and of course less binding.

People that rent don't have large furniture in LOS. They buy furniture that dismantles easily and is lightweight. It's available in any market or large shopping centre in LOS. Everything can be moved in a single trip on a pickup truck. The largest items I had to transport when moving was the refrigerator and the motorbike. That still left room on the back of the ute for a sleeping space for the worker.

Absolutely and some people are used to or content with moving periodically when told to. Some landlords never rebuild or sell up and are content to have lifelong tenants.

At the same time, a lot of people find it inconvenient and in some cases disastrous to have to completely dismantle their lives, businesses, and customer base and attempt to reassemble it somewhere else.

How can my old man be wrong your logic us so flawed ok so I rent the house out 2 bed village location I guess 7500 tops then I have to rent somewhere to live !!!! Awaiting response

Read below or don't. There's also a second follow-up paper. I spent most of 2000-2008 trying to get people to understand basic economics. I'm not going through that again.

Great thundering bashibazouks, there's a man getting paid by the word ie why use a few when you can go on yabbering for pages and pages to say what could probably be said in a sentence. I barely made it to the end of the first page before wanting to fetch the razor blade. Needless to say, I looked at how far to get to the end and gave up- life is too short.

IMO, the only thing I need to know about economics is that you need a lot of money to make money, and the less well off will always be screwed. How to make a lot of money in the first place? Looking at the really rich guys, they are probably all crooks ( George Soros anyone? ) or descended from crooks. Honest guys, ( like nice guys by women ) usually get the shaft.

I also consider any investment in stocks, shares to be gambling ( sub prime anyone? ). During the depression who was manipulating the stock market- hint, it wasn't the average guy putting everything he had into the market.

Our lords and masters in the government are never short of a new way to screw the little man. Sub prime was used by the banks to make money from crap, and when it all turned out badly as was inevitable, not only did the government morons allow the bankers to get away scott free, but they took the taxpayers money to bail them out and then destroyed people's savings by bringing in zero % interest on savings. Biggest scam in centuries.

So don't try to tell me about economics, thanks.

He was yammering on about housing as an investment, but what we need to remember is that the government controls housing prices by restricting house building, whether by unnecessary and expensive regulation, by deposit size regulation or by not allowing houses to be built. It's really simple- not enough houses and the prices go up.

In NZ we have a situation where young people can't possibly afford to buy a house, unless daddy is phenomenally rich and generous. No problem for the rich though, so they buy up all the rentals and jack up the prices till they are unaffordable and people are having to live in cars.

Economics, ecoshnomics, bah humbug.

"Those who CAN'T, teach (write).......Those who CAN, do"

Those who can do, those who can't teach, those who can't teach teach gym, and those who can't teach gym teach teachers. Ho, ho, ho.

"I'm a self-made man".

"Well, it's nice of you to take responsibility".

I know, I know, I know. Most people look at the sentence I'm about to type and think it's thought. Here it is - "It's as cheap to buy as it is to rent, rent's just dead money, you've got to get on the ladder, in a few year's time the mortgage will seem like nothing.....", yanw.

There's nothing anybody can do. Not on the internet anyway. Not really in a classroom either. Plato was right. It's only a tiny minority who have any real taste for thinking.

. Plato was right. It's only a tiny minority who have any real taste for thinking.

Well.....I guess that leaves you OUT.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This will be the bit where I return to the "cave" and an mocked by the prisoners who sit facing the wall.

It's a shame that the "Singingpig" property website is defunct. You'd have loved it.

Here or there.....it just doesn't make much difference where you retire as for things to do. That being said the weather is great here and the people wonderful.

Some things here in Thailand are cheaper and some things are more expensive. It just depends on whats important to you. Housing is cheap, Hospital care is reasonable, western food is expensive....etc.

You choose. Here or there?????

The execution of your retirement plan is important; regardless if it's in Thailand or your home country :

Ensure you have prepared appropriately for the following area's:

- Medical coverage - do you have health care insurance / don't go blind hoping you never have a health concern

- Retirement income - live comfortably not on a shoe-string budget

- Housing - renting or buying is cheap

- Food - you don't need to eat at a 5 star restaurant every night / every meal

- Exercise - in retirement this should be a major highlight which will reduce above medical costs

- Faith - regardless if religion, regular practice keeps the mind strong

- Touring - Thailand has a lot of beautiful tourist area's; enjoy.

- Bar scene - limit the frequency as karma will haunt you

Here or there.....it just doesn't make much difference where you retire as for things to do. That being said the weather is great here and the people wonderful.

Some things here in Thailand are cheaper and some things are more expensive. It just depends on whats important to you. Housing is cheap, Hospital care is reasonable, western food is expensive....etc.

The execution of your retirement plan is important; regardless if it's in Thailand or your home country :

- Medical coverage - do you have health care insurance / don't go blind hoping you never have a health concern

- Exercise - in retirement this should be a major highlight which will reduce above medical costs

Bullshit. You are controlled by your Thai girlfriend, or maybe boyfriend ?

There is strikingly more negativity from retired expats in thailand then you would hear in the states.

May want to consider that before making a retirement move.

You seem to post so much, but you don't even live here ?

Can you define 'Audacity ?

I'm sorry, is that the correct spelling ?

I am not from the U, S, of A.

There is strikingly more negativity from retired expats in thailand then you would hear in the states.

You seem to post so much, but you don't even live here ?

Can you define 'Audacity ?

I'm sorry, is that the correct spelling ?

I am not from the U, S, of A.

This board is a great outlet for the free speech i take for granted in the states, or at least it approximates that in some ways.

The retired expats in the US are generally "undocumented immigrants" on the public teat.

Hi Autanic -

Where exactly is it safe to live after your second triple bypass?

Yes, it is important to both plan ahead for future expenses and for what will hopefully be a joyful retirement. If you feel you are sacrificing something in leaving your home country, then balance that against what you feel you are gaining in moving away. It seems most enjoy retirement here and would not trade it for any inconveniences they might encounter… nothing much seems sadder than some of the miserable posters on this forum. I do think they are just a very small vocal few and everyone I know is quite happy here…

Maybe make a list of plus and minus - but only you can make that decision…

I don't know how much if any time you have spent here, but after a month you should know if you like it enough or not...

5 star restaurant- do you mean places like The Dukes, or Sizzler, or places with even more mind numbingly expensive meals?

It's THAILAND, there are excellent restaurants everywhere that provide great food at an entirely reasonable price. It's never necessary to ever go in one of those places selling western food to eat well.

I actually don't get why people move to Thailand and then routinely eat the same food as they did back home, but much more expensive because it's THAILAND and western food is always more expensive than back home. Nothing against the occasional restaurant meal- even I do that, just not as a regular thing.

5 star restaurant- do you mean places like The Dukes, or Sizzler, or places with even more mind numbingly expensive meals?

It's THAILAND, there are excellent restaurants everywhere that provide great food at an entirely reasonable price. It's never necessary to ever go in one of those places selling western food to eat well.

I actually don't get why people move to Thailand and then routinely eat the same food as they did back home, but much more expensive because it's THAILAND and western food is always more expensive than back home. Nothing against the occasional restaurant meal- even I do that, just not as a regular thing.

I most always eat at home, and domestic groceries are pretty darn cheap here.

It is a personal thing but I personally will never buy a home here. I have lived here for 9 years and yet to me to buy a home would be like saying OK I am ready to die.

And you accused me of a strange post on the subject of AA !

To me it is a personal thing. Nothing wrong with having personal opinions based on observations. I like to own my things not let them own me. I know many people here who figure they have arrived they own their own home. No place else to go. Great for a family man I was like that when I had a family.

I am retired now and no longer have those responsibilities. Why should I save money for a place I am already at. I have adult kids who are doing better financially than I am. They don't need the money. They tell me to just take care of myself.

As for your coming on a forum about I drink to much and bragging about how you can drink any time you want no problem. Yes that is a strange forum to do that in. I would expect it more from some one sitting on a bar stool feeling sorry for himself and denying what is wrong.wai.gif

It's more something in between. There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the renting vs. owning coin. It's not purely emotional (from my tenant's point of view) when I tell them I'll be tearing down their buildings next year to build something else.... so please move your businesses and families somewhere else. True, if you're single or live a kind of life than can readily be moved in suitcases, then renting is a lot easier and of course less binding.

People that rent don't have large furniture in LOS. They buy furniture that dismantles easily and is lightweight. It's available in any market or large shopping centre in LOS. Everything can be moved in a single trip on a pickup truck. The largest items I had to transport when moving was the refrigerator and the motorbike. That still left room on the back of the ute for a sleeping space for the worker.

Absolutely and some people are used to or content with moving periodically when told to. Some landlords never rebuild or sell up and are content to have lifelong tenants.

At the same time, a lot of people find it inconvenient and in some cases disastrous to have to completely dismantle their lives, businesses, and customer base and attempt to reassemble it somewhere else.

Well what you say is true. but you over looked the fact that the OP is retiring not opening a business.

It is a personal thing but I personally will never buy a home here. I have lived here for 9 years and yet to me to buy a home would be like saying OK I am ready to die.

As for your coming on a forum about I drink to much and bragging about how you can drink any time you want no problem. Yes that is a strange forum to do that in. I would expect it more from some one sitting on a bar stool feeling sorry for himself and denying what is wrong.wai.gif

It is no stranger than a reformed drinker coming on here and telling everyone he has found God, and packed in the 'demon' drink. Woopy Do, who cares, certainly not me.

I was a massive drinker for 10 years due to having a bar. I nearly lost everything, but I managed to get out.

I still drink, in fact I got bladdered last night with some good mates, however, I will have a few days off before my next drink.

It is called will power.

It is no stranger than a reformed drinker coming on here and telling everyone he has found God, and packed in the 'demon' drink. Woopy Do, who cares, certainly not me.

I was a massive drinker for 10 years due to having a bar. I nearly lost everything, but I managed to get out.

I still drink, in fact I got bladdered last night with some good mates, however, I will have a few days off before my next drink.

It is called will power.

Right, nothing strange about braggadocios blow-hard a-holes making comments here.

It is called will power.

Sounds like a wake up call to me.

Did you get any 'moments of clarity' during those trials?

It is called will power.

Interesting post. Can't say as I have seen it here in the General forum. It is how ever the general forum and if you feel compelled to bring up the subject it is OK with me. Personally can't relate to it but it does seem to have some meaning to you.

. Plato was right. It's only a tiny minority who have any real taste for thinking.

Well.....I guess that leaves you OUT.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This will be the bit where I return to the "cave" and an mocked by the prisoners who sit facing the wall.

It's a shame that the "Singingpig" property website is defunct. You'd have loved it.

Haha, i know the guy who started Singingpig and am still friends with him now. Good guy.

Shame the idiot who bought Singingpig (Phil Martin - Rapid Property Buyers) run it into the ground, taking a shedload of investors money with him. He eventually ended up in prison for fraud last year, and still has a bigger case against him coming up later this year. I met Phil Martin once at a meeting in Milton Keynes, once was enough!

Sorry for the tangent.

• 3 months later...

The one and only thing that would stop me retiring full time in Thailand is the weather. Everything else I can either change or adapt to.

Really, the lovely weather here is the main thing that prompted me to retire to Thailand.

My wife is back there visiting family and hates the hot humid weather and the traffic. The title "preparing to retire in Thailand" got me sucked in, but I dont think she would go back. She lo9ves the cool here in Oz. The traffic jam horrify her too and the accidents. More room for others if we dont go.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what you say is true. but you over looked the fact that the OP is retiring not opening a business.

Yes, scratch out the business and customer base thing. Moving because someone else is deciding for you is a non-starter for some people. To others, it may be acceptable. Myself, I've moved primary residences twice in this life (my own choice in both instances) and I can't imagine wanting to do it again.