Just saw an accident

Iamnotarobotatall

Sai 3, Soi 21 (Soi PP)
near the junction of Soi Buakhao

I saw it with my own eyes. I turned over the corner, walked even less than 10 meters and saw motorbike with a basket (or wahtever you call this extension) coming while one young foreigner was walking down the street on the side. He didn't do anything wrong, he walked straight and I was wondering why the motorbike is not turning away and if there will be an accident. And there was. The basket hit the guy and he flew over it, breaking his scull. I took my camera and took the photos.

But the driver will not be quilty, right? He is Thai.

post-251793-0-94814900-1452045332_thumb.

Edited by Rimmer
Photos removed

Ouch... If the injured party was breathing, then it would be best not to move him and wait for the medical services to arrive.

This is a good reminder to us all.... Never assume another vehicle has seen you. Always be the one to take avoiding action (moving out of the way) first. Especially when walking.

I'm by no means suggesting the injured party is in the wrong in this incident. But I have seen many foreigners walking down the road in front of cars, I'm thinking what's wrong with these ppl, don't they care if they get run over?.... Some seem to have this sense of 'road entitlement'.... That said, many Thais have no regard for Padestirans at all....

Eyes in the back of the head... Look both ways when crossing a one way street... Assume you are not visible....

If I go to the police, how can I help?

The driver wasn't drunk, definitely.

But the victim was. But he was walking OK, straight, on the side. Didn't try to cross the street. There was enough time to stop. I managed to think about it. There was plenty of time for that. Driver could stop.

When I was last time in the Police department, it was when I catched a thief. A lady was cleaning my room and tried to steal my money. I was told in the police that this is not a crime. She walked away.

Ouch... If the injured party was breathing, then it would be best not to move him and wait for the medical services to arrive.

This is a good reminder to us all.... Never assume another vehicle has seen you. Always be the one to take avoiding action (moving out of the way) first. Especially when walking.

I'm by no means suggesting the injured party is in the wrong in this incident. But I have seen many foreigners walking down the road in front of cars, I'm thinking what's wrong with these ppl, don't they care if they get run over?.... Some seem to have this sense of 'road entitlement'.... That said, many Thais have no regard for Padestirans at all....

Eyes in the back of the head... Look both ways when crossing a one way street... Assume you are not visible....

I saw the original picture, the guy was in the three quarter prone position, which where he should be. What I object to is that someone should have stayed near him even if he was apparently dead.

the victim didn't die there. he wasn't really conscious but he moved a bit from time to time. he rised his body even a bit. and his friend was there and they thais were around. ambulance motobike came too and later a police arrived. I would say he will survive but you never know how the broken bits off the scull affect the brain. tricky.

I know a Thai lady who told me she lost her daughter one new years walking on SBK hit by a MC. This is another reminder to always walk on the right side of the road so one can at least see the oncoming traffic.

.........assuming the traffic is on the correct side of the road - which 25% or so of the m'bikes are not :(

I know a Thai lady who told me she lost her daughter one new years walking on SBK hit by a MC. This is another reminder to always walk on the right side of the road so one can at least see the oncoming traffic.

I can only agree with you , always walk against the oncoming traffic , do not trust that other drivers will see you in time.

Always walk facing traffic, always assume the driver is an idiot/drunk/half blind and be ready

to move out of the way. Even if you have the right of way, don't die defending it. I hope

the guy is OK and makes a full recovery. sad.png

I avoid walking on soi Buakow as much as possible. It's just too narrow and Thai (men) feel the need to overtake constantly. They just cannot wait to arrive 5 minutes later at their destination. So the soi is full of speeders and overtakers brushing by so close, I can tell if the driver shaved that morning or not.

When on foot, I walk along 1st, 2nd, or 3rd roads which all have sidewalks. I wear headphones playing Led Zeppelin very loudly so I don't hear any horns, mufflers, or suit sellers. Then I walk along certain roads to soi Buakow closest to my destination.

That's a snippet from my survival guide.

Doesn't work in Thailand, they drive on both sides of the road.

Don't confuse Thais with people who use common sense.

Well said.

Always walk facing traffic, always assume the driver is an idiot/drunk/half blind and be ready

to move out of the way. Even if you have the right of way, don't die defending it. I hope

yes, best advice, always walk facing the traffic

yes, best advice, always walk facing the traffic

and dont use pedestrian crossings, people get hit on them all the time

Pics have been removed so I did not see what some comments referred to.

Sometimes these motorcycle + sidecar delivery vehicles whiz around without any regard, driven by young males in a hurry. Had one scare the hell out of me only last week

as he raced across from the right, without looking until I beeped him..... I was on my bike too. Plus driving around soi Buakhao is hectic these busy days, at that very junction I had a truck pull out in front of me as I tried to turn into that street from soi Buakhao... driver on the phone yelled at me!

Those sidecars swing out and can surprise you...... drive slowly out there.

I hope the victim will be OK.