I don't get why comprehensive insurance is so high here.

giddyup

Bring cost down with named drivers 2009 d max 4 door pick up 8500bht last year class 1 2000Bht excess named drivers Mrs and me only. Ps she has no licence either but that's another thread.

Also we are in Thailand not home countries you can't compare prices all countries insure in diffrent ways

Edited by Sutty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My insurance this year is 55,000 baht... I reckon my Wife has already done more damage than that !!!

My only complaint about insurance here is that they don't provide a loaner...

Previous Insurance has also been expensive - but I've been driving fairly pricey cars which are expensive to fix when the taxi driver without insurance reverses into me, or the motorcycle scrapes my wing... Other things are insured here that aren't in the UK.

I replaced a cracked Windscreen which had to be imported from the UK (it cost the insurance about THB 50,000) - in the UK windscreen insurance is extra.

My Wife has just bumped my current car and scraped / cut one of the tires - I'm getting the Tyre and alloy replaced.

---------

Why is insurance more expensive here ? My guess is that there are far more claims here for lots of minor bumps.

---------

An article in the Bangkok Post a number of years back alluded to the theory that there are lots of accidents in Thailand because there is often no excess on insurance - thus people are more cavalier with risk when cutting of another vehicle and knowing it won't cost them anything if they were to have a bump....

---------

My theory: All of the above: More accidents, more claims per driver / car, more uninsured people, more parts to import which are expensive, more of the car is insured.

Sounds like you could save some money by teaching your wife to drive competently.

There does not seem to be any option to choose a higher deductible which would lower the cost of the insurance. I also see people here who see no big deal in filing claims to repaint areas with small scratches, which to me, is just part of the normal wear and tear of owning a vehicle.

Geez, what an eye-opener.

Guess I'll stop complaining about my 996-baht per year comprehensive policy for my 2-year old Toyota Hilux.

First class fully comprehensive insurance for THB 996 a year? Really? Please tell everybody the name of the insurance company, I also have a two year old Hilux but am paying THB 18,000. I think you mean compulsory insurance?

I think the costs are comparable for what you get.

As observed by other posters, Thais tend to claim for just about everything (especially if the car is new), and it is often accepted by the insurance company, which helps push up costs. Most policies don't have any excess unless you ask for it. We got a puncture in the sidewall of the tire which was replaced by insurance at 6000 Baht. There was a small star in the windscreen and my wife insisted we get a new windscreen at a considerable cost to the insurance company. In Australia, you would never get away with such claims, or the excess wouldn't make it worthwhile claiming.

I think the costs are comparable for what you get.

As observed by other posters, Thais tend to claim for just about everything (especially if the car is new), and it is often accepted by the insurance company, which helps push up costs. Most policies don't have any excess unless you ask for it. We got a puncture in the sidewall of the tire which was replaced by insurance at 6000 Baht. There was a small star in the windscreen and my wife insisted we get a new windscreen at a considerable cost to the insurance company. In Australia, you would never get away with such claims, or the excess wouldn't make it worthwhile claiming.

Is it normal here to claim for punctures - or for policies to cover it?

I also had my windscreen replaced after it got a stone chip and then crack - and found my premium increased at next renewal because of it.

My insurance this year is 55,000 baht... I reckon my Wife has already done more damage than that !!!

My only complaint about insurance here is that they don't provide a loaner...

You have the wrong policie or insurance company as loaners are available with some companies

Name the Companies then.

its probably because the standard of driving/roads etc is so poor that you will inevitably have an accident here in Thailand(call me cynical). Compare this with Australian driving/road standards, and I suggest the answer becomes abundantly clear

Guess I'll stop complaining about my 996-baht per year comprehensive policy for my 2-year old Toyota Hilux.

First class fully comprehensive insurance for THB 996 a year? Really? Please tell everybody the name of the insurance company, I also have a two year old Hilux but am paying THB 18,000. I think you mean compulsory insurance?

Indeed LOL.

@Fookhaht: no way you have 1st class I'm afraid - just Por Ror Bor for that money. Not so sure that's a great idea on a 2yo car either.

Indeed LOL.

@Fookhaht: no way you have 1st class I'm afraid - just Por Ror Bor for that money. Not so sure that's a great idea on a 2yo car either.

Yep, he's got 3rd party cover only.

Maybe he's playing the Thai game and hoping that the person he hits or hits him will have 1st class (comprehensive) insurance and the BIB will sympathise with his damages, and have the other party pay for his repairs.

Good on ya Mate, beat the buggers at their own game!!rolleyes.gif

In the west the insurance companies will do anything not to pay out whereas here it seems the polar opposite, they are just happy that you have insurance. Also, at my last renewal they asked me if I wanted to add named drivers. If it was just me It would have saved me 2k baht in premium. If you're the only one ever driving it then its worth asking the question.

Lets not forget the Thai habit of having your car resprayed every 3 years to clean up all the dings and stone chips, claimed on the policy..

Lots of people will just wait until prior to selling and have the insurance do the whole car.

If you walk out the door and look around - are there other things not the same as Australia?

Maybe someone snuffed you away in the night and planted you here - did you not know that you were coming to another country, a unique culture - things are different… they just don't speak or act Aussie here, I guess…

Somethings are more expensive, most are less - - but really, I think you might have expected that if someone didn't tell you….

Relax and have a nice lunch for a dollar or two - can you do that in your home country?

Look how they drive and you know bah.gif

Nothing to do with how insurance works

Your premium is based on risk. If there is a higher risk of accident, the premium would be higher.

If one company operated in a western country and in Thailand, and offered the same insurance product, I would expect the premium to be higher here for the same vehicle/drivers.

Exactly because the risk the insurance company would have to pay out is so much higher here.

Indeed LOL.

Yep, he's got 3rd party cover only.

Maybe he's playing the Thai game and hoping that the person he hits or hits him will have 1st class (comprehensive) insurance and the BIB will sympathise with his damages, and have the other party pay for his repairs.

Good on ya Mate, beat the buggers at their own game!!rolleyes.gif

What a bunch of know-it-all skeptics, albeit ignorant as a buffalo.

It's COMPREHENSIVE.

They've already paid out 12,000B for a damaged gas tank when I hit an obstruction.

It's COMPREHENSIVE.

They've already paid out 12,000B for a damaged gas tank when I hit an obstruction.

No offence intended - but there is simply no way you are getting 1st class, or comprehensive, cover in Thailand for 996 Baht year.

Either you looked at the wrong bill, or you don't have it.

Simple as that, Period, End of story etc biggrin.png

I don't know about Australia; but I do know car insurance here is a pittance compared to car insurance in The Netherlands.

There same refers to Germany and the UK, let alone the USA where it is really expensive (in some states).

I just checked on line for a last year DMAX with NRMA and a 40 year old driver with no accidents etc....came to $1200 with a large excess

When I had my honda fixed - some self inflicted damage - it was 1000 baht per repair - a dent on my roof got fixed and fully resprayed for 30 bucks. Not bad. Insurance was 15K a year at that time. The excess is quite low here so I usually get repairs made each year.

I have a 2010 Ford Escape that last year (2014) I paid 20k Baht ($645) Baht for insurance, this year (2015) I changed carriers and paid only 12k Baht ($333) , so it might be time to shop around a bit more.

If you have a massive drop in policy cost like that, you might want to check the amount covered, and the deductible (excess) - even if switching insurers, that's a big drop if those two haven't changed significantly.

It's COMPREHENSIVE.

No offence intended - but there is simply no way you are getting 1st class, or comprehensive, cover in Thailand for 996 Baht year.

Well I am. THAT'S the end of the story. Sorry.

It's COMPREHENSIVE.

For a car? Impossible.

It's COMPREHENSIVE.

That's a great price don't want to appear nosey but can you tell me or pm me the name of insurance company or the Brooker you use please thanks

I have a 2010 Ford Escape that last year (2014) I paid 20k Baht ($645) Baht for insurance, this year (2015) I changed carriers and paid only 12k Baht ($333) , so it might be time to shop around a bit more.

If you have a massive drop in policy cost like that, you might want to check the amount covered, and the deductible (excess) - even if switching insurers, that's a big drop if those two haven't changed significantly.

I checked it at the time of the switch and I recall they were comparable. In addition, I think that part of the reason was that I was in the process of changing addresses from Bangkok to Buriram, plus the insurance premium has always gone down in the past because the car is another year older and is worth less each additional year.

For a car? Impossible.

No, for a nearly new Toyota Hilux pick-up truck.

I think the unbelievability on the part of some TV posters lies in the fact that they haven't stepped out of their hermetically-sealed bubble of Bangkok or the BTT (Big Tourist Traps). They should do so before implying that I am a liar or ignorant.

Sure, you're going to pay first-world expenses in your pseudo-Thai locations. Deal with it.

Edited by Fookhaht