Lottery in UK

Seems that now if you buy tickets on line while outside UK you can and probably will be refused payment if you win. Maybe in force for a long time but I only found out recently.

You have to be in UK to buy and play. You must also as far as I'm aware have a bank account in UK.

If you dont have the above and get someone to buy the ticket for you and collect on your behalf then pass you the money they will be liable for tax on the money they 'give' you.

Funny old game innit.

Anyone know what would happen if you bought a ticket when you were in UK, on holiday from here, or wherever.

Would they pay out or not? My feeling is 'not'

These questions are just from an ongoing pub discussion by the way.

You have to be present in the UK to buy a ticket so if you are on holiday in the UK, and you buy/win, you would be paid out.

If you bought a ticket in a shop for a draw after you left the country ( I think it's a maximum four draws for euromillions, eight for lotto ) you would be paid put as you physically bought the ticket in country, even though you have left the country.

If you have an account, you can buy tickets for euromillions four weeks in advance, or eight weeks in advance for lotto. If you do that, leave the country, and win - you will still be paid out.

If you play by direct debit, debited from a British bank account, and set up while in the UK, there is no time bar - you can play forever as long as you don't try to change your numbers or any other part of your play, such as increasing or decreasing how many entries you buy, from overseas.

The key to all this is that you have to be in the UK to start the ball rolling.

I'm 95% certain this information is accurate.

The number of balls changed from 49 to 59 in October 2015 which according to Dr. John Haigh (Emeritus Reader in mathematics at Sussex University) altered the odds of winning the jackpot from 14 million to 1 to 45 million to 1 but there's some improvement in other prizes and when a rollover collapses as it were the odds of winning it are 6.5 million to one.