'Whiteness Helps You Win,' whitening cream ad tells Thai women

webfact

'Whiteness Helps You Win,' Whitening Cream Ad Tells Thai Women
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14522326741452232688l.jpg
A screenshot from the commercial for “Snowz” whitening product. / Youtube

BANGKOK — A commercial featuring light-skinned woman mocking a woman with dark skin for her lack of ‘whiteness’ has drawn criticism from a number of internet users in Thailand.

The commercial, made for a skin whitening product called Snowz, is the latest public display of the Thai obsession with light skin - an obsession some denounce as racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIdL3OqP4Lo

The advertisement was uploaded to Youtube by cosmetic company Seoul Secret on Wednesday. In the beginning, actress Cirin ‘Chris’ Horwang appears with her light skin seeming to glow and tells the camera:

“Do you know something? Before I got to where I am right now, the competition was very high. It’s not easy to stay here for a long time. And once I stop taking care of myself, everything I have dedicated, [and] the whiteness I have invested in, will be gone.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1452232674

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-08

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is appalling for a company to exploit the obsession with white skin and all the prejudice displayed towards dark skin.

However they are probably correct in their claim that pale skin helps some get what they want in any society that holds such views.

Such a depressing situation.

Edited by Bluespunk

come on, you have to be joking, whiteness does nothing for me at all, I much prefer my wifes natural skin colour. All this is, is a bullsh*t add to make the gullible thai women think it helps them get a husband and to buy these crap products. Skin colour makes no difference what so ever, it who the person is that counts, this appeals to those women that are self obsessed only, any with half a brain knows it is bullsh*t.

Hilarious! And the western white women are lying in tanning booths and in the sun, trying to get dark!

People who feel the need to impress others by being someone and some thing they are not are dark anyway... they have a great big empty black hole running through the middle of them.

Edited by Blackfish64

Some of the most racist people are locals living in countries where people have dark skin. I worked in Angola and if you are black - you sweep up and clean - If you have Portuguese DNA and mulatto - You tell the black person to sweep and clean.

One of my best friends lives in Rio and his wife is as black as a bin liner as he puts it and he is Celtic white/fair with blue eyes. When they went out with their kids most people think it his nanny/cleaner that is with him, and his real wife must be back home or working. His wife had a job in a designer shop in a mall and she was only allowed to stay in the back stock room. He put a stop to that and got her to quit.

The whole srtucture here in Thailand is all based on skin colour and ethnic background. Those bloody awful sopa operas are full of "over white" women.

If the big name comsetic companies like Nivea and Dove (prounoced DOAVE here ) had adverts like they show here shown in the west they would be taken to court.

The power of television to brainwash a population is incredible. Drive fast like a maniac. Honda/Toyota/Izuzu could never get away with thier mental advertising they do here showing people racing through deserted city streets.

Thais are also told utter nonsense that feeding their kids some bloody stupid milk substitute with A+ in it makes the kids into Rocket Scientists - not with the education system here it wont, with kids leaving at 12 unable to read or write or their own lingo.... The present Gov need to get a grip of the Television people here it could go a long way to sorting out a lot problems.

It shows how immature and incredibly stupid homo sapiens really is.

We are not a race. We are a species. The End

We have a long, long way to go, and we have barely even begun.

I suffered no delusions about peace on earth in the last century, nor do I suffer any in this new century.

I seen one lady with skin so white it was like porcelain,

very creepy.

regards Worgeordie

I love the women who paint themselves up white like this. Makes me laugh as they announce themselves from miles away: high priced, high maintenance--no return on your investment!

a) Sad! Very, very sad!

b ) No, it is not (even remotely) the same, as western women, trying to look tanned! Because in "the old countries" you will not be treated as "second class" if you are not tanned! In the west "having a tan" is some kind of fashion- statement! In Thailand, being tanned makes you a 2nd class human being! Big difference!

c) I frequently have to chuckle, when I see these women with their goulishly white powdered faces...and with a tanned cleavage, arms and legs!

Someone should remind Thailand, that it is the 21st century...

I suffered no delusions about peace on earth in the last century, nor do I suffer any in this new century.

My half-half daughter got chicken pox when I was working overseas......she was two & they were staying at the in-laws place in Surin (Prasat).

The relatives were aghast.....a FARANG??? With Chicken Pox???

They thought it only happened to Thai people.

My wife got madder than a hornet over that one and explained it to them in two words "She's HUMAN!"

They utterly adore her light skin and curly blonde hair though.

==================================

This ad/article above is sickening and racist.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, there is some hope.

tan-header.jpg

No more crazy whitening trends like salmon sperm soap and gluta injections.

With skin color defining beauty in Thai culture for so long, the dominance of the whitening craze era looks like it is facing a serious challenge now that a local magazine has set itself a goal to promote a natural, sun-kissed complexion.

TAN, a new bilingual magazine founded by renowned Thai musician and rapper Joey Boy, will hit the racks Tuesday as it promotes the beach and travel culture.

Full Article - bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/11/ditch-whitening-new-thai-magazine-celebrates-beautiful-tanned-skin

Edited by jaywalker

the best thing is where/when they bleach their skin at some dodgy clinic, then get this terrible ACNE (caused by the treatment), and then go to acne treatment clinic. costs them a lot of money which they lend from some dodgy loan shark or bank. utter idiotic / mongoloid / TIT.
giggle.gif

Hilarious! And the western white women are lying in tanning booths and in the sun, trying to get dark!

People who feel the need to impress others by being someone and some thing they are not are dark anyway... they have a great big empty black hole running through the middle of them.

Or is it perhaps that "the grass is always greener elsewhere"? The main reason why many retired farangs are in Thailand. Climate, cost of life, woman etc.

Perhaps It may not be the need to impress others but merely the wish to be different, special in some way: different skincolor, clothes, haircolor...

Edited by EricBerg

My half-half daughter got chicken pox when I was working overseas......she was two & they were staying at the in-laws place in Surin (Prasat).

My wife got madder than a hornet over that one and explained it to them in two words "She's HUMAN!"

tan-header.jpg

With skin color defining beauty in Thai culture for so long, the dominance of the whitening craze era looks like it is facing a serious challenge now that a local magazine has set itself a goal to promote a natural, sun-kissed complexion.

TAN, a new bilingual magazine founded by renowned Thai musician and rapper Joey Boy, will hit the racks Tuesday as it promotes the beach and travel culture.

Full Article - bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/11/ditch-whitening-new-thai-magazine-celebrates-beautiful-tanned-skin

And the woman in this photo is so much prettier than the one in the OP in my opinion.

tan-header.jpg

And the woman in this photo is so much prettier than the one in the OP in my opinion.

Yeah, she could probably make me write bad checks.

I would utterly ignore/not even see that pasty skinned woman in a crowd.

Jaywalker: I feel like a bit of Thai bashing right now!

Thai Media: Resistance is Futile.

(Been watching too much Star Trek recently).

Utterly despicable racist bastards!

Edited by jaywalker

Even more laughable is that the "whitening" ingredient is usually only sunscreen. Most whiteners have a SPF rating of 30 or 50+.

You obviously didn't hear about the magical effects of chlorine and salmon- semen...coffee1.gif

Don't just rag on the Thais. Determining pecking order based on skin color is the depraved human condition.

In the West, the tanned look still exudes health and wealth to the lily-white who can't afford expensive vacations to sun-drenched beaches or regular tanning sessions at the spa.**

On the other hand...

Long ago, I did a summer of charity work among teenagers in the poor black area of a large North American city. Among the blacks, the insults and ranking of beauty/ugliness, based on skin color, was merciless.

When I started my summer, they all looked "black" to me; but in short order it became very apparent that the subtle degrees of "blackness-to-whiteness" was a finely-defined continuum which determined the pecking order among the 100 or so black teens I worked with. The shock wore off, and I had to ignore their internal ranking in order to treat everyone equally--which was appreciated by the darker-skinned black teens who bore the brunt of the insults.

When I entered a classroom of older Thai teens, over a decade ago, it was like deja-vu, and there's been no change since. sad.png

**Love this poster that lambasts the white person's obsession with tanned skin...

post-108400-0-88915200-1452243989_thumb.

Edited by Fookhaht

Jaywalker: I feel like a bit of Thai bashing right now!

Thai Media: Resistance is Futile.

(Been watching too much Star Trek recently).

Utterly despicable racist bastards!

From the article:

"The segment almost immediately prompted a torrent of negative comments online from users who feel the advertisement verges on racism and skin color-based discrimination. Apparently in response to the criticism, Seoul Secret disabled the comments section on the video Friday morning."

I'm pretty sure these negative comments came from Thais, most of whom are just as appalled as any of the posters here. So you can get off your high horse already.

Blackfish you are right, I think the Thai girls with their natural colour are gorgeous, the ones with the white faces look like Coco the clown to me. As a former employer, my choice back in the UK would be a natural colour Thai girl, the most important quality would be the ability to speak and have a good grasp of English. If you are employed to answer the phone and assist in the business offices no one is going to see or care what colour you are. I guess this works both ways.