Easy way to Sihanoukville from Pattaya

JarekN

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if there have been any updates on getting to Sihanoukville from Pattaya. I am traveling with my parents so would prefer to stay away from minivans and make the trip as comfortable for them as possible. Are there any direct comfortable buses (with on board toilet) and what are the costs or is there reasonable priced taxi service?

Thanks!

I did the minivan route a long time ago with an overnight on koh kong!

Easy it was NOT!

There are roads now so I expect it is a lot better. Bookings made on Soi Post office at an agent that also handles Koh Chang.

Pretty sure you could get to Trat comfortably on a coach-bus. Perhaps you need to consider a private hire.

The most convenient way is flying (Bangkok - Siem Reap - Sihanoukville).

The second most convenient way would be taking a taxi (2000-2500 Baht to the border plus 60-80$ from the border in Koh Kong)

Whatever they tell you do NOT take the official "bus". You will have to change vehicles a million times and it is quite an ordeal (read: nightmare). It's extremely cramped, aircon is often not working and in Cambodia roads are in a horrible state... you don't wanna do this in a bus with next to no suspension.

Not a good trip. If you have to I would go by bus to trat.When eventually when in Cambodia grab a taxi. Personally I would do neither. If they haven't seen sien reap fly them there from bkk. Sihnanoukville is a hole anyway. You could take them to koh Samed and also koh Chang. Good roads to those places.

I did that trip about 3 years ago.. got the bus to the border and crossed thinking I'd get a bus on the other side.. the 'bus station' was a rocky field with a couple of run down shelters about 15 ks from the border.. you are at the mercy of the tuk-tuk drivers to get there... the 'buses' were a motley collection of rusted out vans ...departure is when they are full... I mean FULL! My daughter and I sat up front with the driver.. paying for 3 seats because normally he would have 3 passengers up there with him... The trip through the mountains was actually very interesting and quite beautiful.. it goes through one of the largest and least spoiled rain-forests left in SE Asia... About 3/4 of the way to Sihnanukville the driver announced that he was't going any further and we would have to take a 'taxi' the rest of the way.. The 'taxi'.. a small Corolla type station wagon was empty when we got started... within about 10 ks it was FULL.. at one point there were 19 people..women & babies, kids & men.. in (and on) this thing.. it had a wooden platform extending the floor out the back with the hatch propped open with a metal pole... and the driver's sidekick hanging on outside standing perched on the platform.. my daughter and I were in the passenger seat behind the driver.. sharing with two others.. a bit cramped! ..the driver wanted to put another passenger in with us.. at a premium price, I believe because he would have to sit on my daughter's lap!! I amused everyone by saying loud and clear..."No f****** way!!"....I got my way... Get this! The driver ended up sharing his drivers seat with a fat lady.. very cosey! Her squashed between him and the door! Quite interesting to watch him steer and change gears! Looking back.. it makes for a good story.. would I do it again?.. No...

At Trat I was told there is a tour bus.. but I don't know how to find it...

Things might have changed... but it was not a place to travel if you want to be comfortable...

Agree that once across border taxi is the way to ho. They normally pack about 6 passengers in but you can just buy out the other seats. Like that, not bad. Getting to the border there are both buses and minivans to Trat, from Trat take a taxi.

Alternately fly to PP and get taxi from airport to SHV.

True though that SHV not interesting as a town and beach nothing special, best out on the islands.

JarekN, When are you planning on making the trip to Sihanoukville? I have been thinking about going on Jan. 25th.

(I'm an old, retired fart that no longer needs discomfort as well - just like your parents.) Perhaps we could share the

costs? .... After reading this thread, I can either cancel my plans to go or, fly to Phnom Phen then take a bus

to Sihanoukville- ????? (PM me if you'd like.) :)

The bus from Phnom Phen to Sihnanoukville is easy. Take less than 4 hour one stop. Easy trip. On way back you can ask bus to drop you at airport as it's before pp city.

Get minibus.

Again I wouldn't bother with Sihnanoukville. The bars are rubbish compared with anywhere in thailand. The beach has a nice local feel with many Cambodia families. Good to chill. Other than that it has zip. Even for backpackers it only has cheap food and accom to offer.

I did this trip last month.

After a leisurely breakfast take a taxi to Trat (about 4hours) and I recommend you stay overnight; I stayed at the Trat Centre Hotel.

In the morning get a taxi to the border, hotel can arrange this, but I actually chartered a baht-bus, from the bus station, for B800, just over 1 hour drive.

Crossing the border took a total of about 1 hour for paperwork for both sides. Have your pictures taken in no-mans land, with the sea and flags in the background.

On the Cambodian side, right at the border post, there were plenty of taxis to rent, we rented a nice Lexus for B3,000 (would not take US dollars) and that took us all the way to Snooky in comfort. I suggest you print a map of your hotel’s location. The roads and bridges are much improved now and I think we did it in 4 hours; it is a lovely drive through the National Park.

As others have mentioned you can always fly in one day.

The reason why I wanted to go there was cause of the beach/water being fairly nice. But after further talking we decided to scrap that idea... Will just take the new VIP bus to Hua Hin, which is how I got to Pattaya, it has 3 seats across and is very comfortable :)

Thanks for all suggestions :D

Curious which place you'd recommend for water/beach? Most places I have been to in TH are overrated, the water is polluted/beaches nothing special or the accommodations are just way overpriced...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend money and over 10 hours to arrive at an overrated place. Cambodia is not much for beaches. Reminds me of phu quoc. Another ordinary joint.

I made the trip several times in 2015, the last time at the end November.

I strongly recommend getting an E Visa for Cambodia to avoid 99% of the hassles and scams at the land border. You pay $40 for the E Visa vs the $30 regular price but the Cambodian immigration officers won't accept $30 and you wind up paying them more than $40 in Thai Baht anyway.

Cambodia E Visa - Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation

There is a bus to Trat you can catch on the inland side of Sukhumvit at the corner of Pattaya Klong (Central Pattaya Road). The bus stop is just a bench on the sidewalk to the north of the regular covered bus stop. Ask around and you will get pointed to the right bench. I caught the 6:10 am bus so that I would have time to make the trip all the way to Sihanoukville in a single day.

Be sure to have a ball point pen in your pocket and fill out your Thai exit card on the bus to Trat.

There are restrooms and a food court at the Trat bus station.

At the bus station in Trat you change to a van/minibus to Hat Lek - the Klong Yai border crossing. You will arrive about 12:30am - 1:00pm. With an E Visa it take only about 30 minutes to cross the border.

Ignore the scam of them telling you that you have to have your temperature taken and pay for a health certificate. Just waving a folded up piece of yellow paper and telling them you already have one works.

Just get a Cambodian entry/exit form and fill it in then go straight to the Entering Cambodia window.

After you cross the border you have several options.

1. You can catch a van to Sihanoukville at the border. The cost was $20 last Spring.

2. Buy seats in a private automobile. They will ask for $75 for a small car but if you bargain hard you can get it for about $60-$65. A SUV runs about $80-$100 and will seat 4 (three in the back seat isn't very comfortable but to be expected).

3. There used to be an afternoon bus but I don't know if it is running now or not. If you want to risk it you can take a tuk tuk or private car/taxi to the bus station (an open field with a couple of sheds). The cost will probably be $15 for a taxi. The bus will be $15-$20.

4. Stay overnight in Koh Kong, an utterly boring place. Asean and Kaoh Kong City are reasonable hotels, clean and cheap at $15-$20 for AC and hot water shower rooms. Otto's is a good place to eat dinner. You can arrange for a tuk tuk to pick you up and take you to the field that is the bus stop the next morning - $5-$6 for two people is about right.

Returning is easier. Your hotel can book you a private car to the border. Your hotel will also be able to book you a trip by van/minibus (possibly bus to the Thai border) all the way to Pattaya. After you cross back into Thailand you will have to find the van service in Hat Lek that takes you all the way to Pattaya. You will change vans but at least it is in an air conditioned waiting room in downtown Trat.

As of Dec. 8, 2015 there were no large buses from Trat to Pattaya, only vans/minibuses. You catch a van/minibus to Trat then change to a different van/minibus at the bus station. You might as well just use the service that takes you all the way to Pattaya.

Not a good trip. If you have to I would go by bus to trat.When eventually when in Cambodia grab a taxi. Personally I would do neither. If they haven't seen sien reap fly them there from bkk. Sihnanoukville is a hole anyway. You could take them to koh Samed and also koh Chang. Good roads to those places.

Siahnoukville is a hole?

I don't know whether this service is still running but there used to be a Soviet style "cigar" boat running from Sihanoukville to Ko Kong. Not for the faint hearted if the sea is rough but seemingly safe. Not sure if that is still running.

Siahnoukville is a hole?

Tell me wwhat's good about Sihnanoukville.

Also balanced against time etc for the OP to take his parents. Take hua hin for just one example. Could take them in a taxi or minibus from victory monument. Has good beach nice relaxed bars if that's your gig. Some good music. Has a thai big music venue if you want to see something more thai . Has great golf courses if only for views and lunch. Has 5 night markets. Is close to cha am and other chilled places.

Sihnanoukville has sweet........... all.

Lousy bar seen. Beach so so. Pretty much sums it up. Oh forgot weed readily available. Take the family

There is no boat service from koh Chang . Nor from Pattaya to hua hin. Taxi for the latter is 2500. Easy trip.

Op you could take parents to hh then onto Pattaya. Take them for lunch on beach at bang suray. Lovely spot. Not far in taxi.

I don't know whether this service is still running but there used to be a Soviet style "cigar" boat running from Sihanoukville to Ko Kong. Not for the faint hearted if the sea is rough but seemingly safe. Not sure if that is still running.

Stopped running after the road / bridges finished.

Ps: what I know they were M'sian River boats, but in Cambodia used on the Sea ;)

I went to Si'ville last a few months ago--I flew to PP where the visa counter took USD and is located in the terminal just before immigration, so no problem--stay a day or two in PP, some decent French restaurants, bread, cheese and wine--all far cheaper than in Thailand; then take a private taxi to Si'ville ($40)--no hassle, no problem--hotels, food and drinks are much cheaper in Cambodia--a beer is just $1 in the tourist bars, $0.40-$0.50 in local places. Do the overland hassle to the border; the border hassle, then overland to BKK hassle on the way back--see which way is best.

I'd agree the land route is quite "an adventure". Have done it two times though, last time about 6 months ago. Went from Koh Chang to the border by minivan, but should be available from Pattaya as well. The border crossing did not take an hour as some here have claimed - last time they didn't even try to charge us $5 extra which seemed to be the standard practice first time I went. Took maybe 15 minutes to cross the border, 10 minutes by "taxi" (some guy with a car) to Koh Kong "bus station". True, it is a dirt field, but no rusty run down mini vans in sight. Got on a decent bus (about as good as the lower end of the scale when compared to Thai buses), and waited maybe 10 minutes until the bus left. Again, no, it was not jammed full - think there were about 10 people on the bus, i.e. not even half full. The biggest annoyance was that the bus didn't really go to Sihanoukville, instead it went to Phnom Penh, so we had to get off at the intersection, grab some food at a restaurant and with some luck, smiles, and waving of dollar bills, we managed to buy two tickets for another (quite nice) bus that was parked at the restaurant near the intersection.

If money is not an issue I'd never recommend doing it - just take a flight to Phnom Penh and go to the Soraya Bus Station for an easy 4-7 hour bus ride to downtown Sihanoukville. If you're feeling adventurous and want to save some money, try it. It's not easy or super comfortable, but in my experience it's not as bad today as some of the above posters seem to have experienced years ago.

hasn't been running for the past three years .

The OP earlier stated Sihnanoukville rubbish town is off the agenda. Bright lad. Take your folks to good stuff in los. Sien Reap is about all Cambodia has to offer. Killing fields is a stern reminder. Boat cruises sorta ok. Beaches forget it

The OP earlier stated Sihnanoukville rubbish town is off the agenda. Bright lad. Take your folks to good stuff in los. Sien Reap is about all Cambodia has to offer. Killing fields is a stern reminder. Boat cruises sorta ok. Beaches forget it

Keep your valuables well looked after

Sihnanoukville, go to the brewery on Thursday,,,free beer

Consult with your parents, take them to the killing fields, as

a grown man i never cry but that place brought a tear to my

eye

Archived