Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

I'm a tech guy. I realize its much more complicated to create a fully self driving car than an airplane. But judging from the huge steps forward the developers have done in the last couple of years, I believe we will have fully autonomous car within the next few years.

To accomplish such a car to drive in Thailand is not impossible. It's just to record human behavior - while at the same time record sensor data, analyze it, and implement algorithms that follow the same patterns as the human would do.

You concede that driverless aircraft is much simpler than driverless cars, and there is still no such thing as driverless aircraft. is still no such thing as a driverless airplane.

It is really no more difficult to develop a driverless car in Thailand than it it would be in the US or anywhere.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google ain't kidding around.

According to this they're about 95 percent done for fully driver-less cars.

But the last 5 percent is VERY HARD.

The prediction in the article is UNDER FIVE YEARS to get that last 5 percent done for U.S.A conditions anyway.

When I share my pessimism with Chris Urmson, he says I’m mistaken. What I have observed in Castle and Mountain View, he tells me, is a function of Google’s obsessive need for safety during a period of testing. Its caution comes because constantly probing for weaknesses and exposing them while avoiding risks will bring the cars closer to the moment that the general public can leave the driving to Google. -not-drive-6dbea84b9c45#.j3e2l21qh

Edited by seedy
long quote

The prediction in the article is UNDER FIVE YEARS to get that last 5 percent done for U.S.A conditions anyway.

https://medium.com/backchannel/license-to-not-drive-6dbea84b9c45#.j3e2l21qh

Yeah, they have the car, that's 95%, making it driverless is the hard part...

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

That's a gross distortion of the truth. Nice try though. If you've got a Luddite agenda about this, that's cool, but this is coming. Maybe not in Thailand though. That's the question.

There is no significant difference between making it work in Thailand and making it work in the United States.

When I share my pessimism with Chris Urmson, he says I’m mistaken. What I have observed in Castle and Mountain View, he tells me, is a function of Google’s obsessive need for safety during a period of testing. Its caution comes because constantly probing for weaknesses and exposing them while avoiding risks will bring the cars closer to the moment that the general public can leave the driving to Google.

https://medium.com/backchannel/license-to-not-drive-6dbea84b9c45#.j3e2l21qh

That's basically what I said at the very beginning - it's the "last mile" that's the toughest. In Thailand, under today's conditions, impossible, IMHO.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

That's a gross distortion of the truth. Nice try though. If you've got a Luddite agenda about this, that's cool, but this is coming. Maybe not in Thailand though. That's the question.

There is no significant difference between making it work in Thailand and making it work in the United States.

Motorsai! smile.png

But you're right - if they can't handle Thai roads and intersections loaded with scooters that have no concept of lanes or laws, and can't keep up with traffic, there's still a whole bunch of scenarios they also can't handle in the USA and other markets.

And every single one of them is potentially life-threatening.

Edited by IMHO

One Post Edited - Forum Rule -

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Motorsai! smile.png

But you're right - if they can't handle Thai roads and intersections loaded with scooters that have no concept of lanes or laws, and can't keep up with traffic, there's still a whole bunch of scenarios they also can't handle in the USA and other markets.

The only difference is frequency, oh, and pronunciation...

One more problem will be the other drivers !

They expect the car in front of them to be "Thai" and drive like a Thai.....what happens when it follows all the rules , stops at red lights , lets pedestrians walk across the street etc ?

There will be a lot of Google cars with big dents in the back and sides :)

The best use is if ALL cars are self driving and can talk to each other , then all you have to worry about is the blue screen of death !

One more problem will be the other drivers !

They expect the car in front of them to be "Thai" and drive like a Thai.....what happens when it follows all the rules , stops at red lights , lets pedestrians walk across the street etc ?

There will be a lot of Google cars with big dents in the back and sides smile.png

The best use is if ALL cars are self driving and can talk to each other , then all you have to worry about is the blue screen of death !

It's a very valid point, and that's really the root of the problem. These cars will be developed to an incredibly high level of avoiding causing accidents themselves. But avoiding accidents caused by other drivers is already the pattern in much more civil road environments. Another reason, I'm asking the question in this thread. Will this come here (other than as a demo show) in the foreseeable future? I don't know.

Why do you think it would be significantly more difficult to develop it in Thailand than in the US?

Because things are massively more unruly here.

There is almost nothing that happens on Thailand's roads that do no occasionally happen on US roads.

What have said that gives you grounds to call me a Luddite? I am all for the technology and stand to benefit greatly from it. I just don't see it working in the next few years anywhere.

We'll see it working in communist countries long before we will see it in the United States.

Motorsai! smile.png

Might be an opportunity to sort the idiotic mess of a road system out if cars of the not so distant future need a proper road system to function properly. If motor manufacturers insist on it, then it will happen. If not, Thailand will have to rely upon its own 'technology'. I doubt any Thais will want to regress 60 or so years.

Motorsai! smile.png

Might be an opportunity to sort the idiotic mess of a road system out if cars of the not so distant future need a proper road system to function properly. If motor manufacturers insist on it, then it will happen. If not, Thailand will have to rely upon its own 'technology'. I doubt any Thais will want to regress 60 or so years.

What is wrong with the road systems?

ok.......what happens when the self driver has so many inputs that the computer says it cannot go anywhere safe and if just sits in the middle of the road ?

I do believe they will be a normal thing in 10 years , but only on some roads that have sensors in the road , the their is feedback from the other self drivers on what is around the bend.....

I really do not want to have "it" driving me at 50 mph on a twisty road and a deer jumps out......

ok.......what happens when the self driver has so many inputs that the computer says it cannot go anywhere safe and if just sits in the middle of the road ?

I do believe they will be a normal thing in 10 years , but only on some roads that have sensors in the road , the their is feedback from the other self drivers on what is around the bend.....

I really do not want to have "it" driving me at 50 mph on a twisty road and a deer jumps out......

Or a big dog followed by a small child, which one do we hit?

You're joking, right?

No, I'm not joking. While I have driven on better, I have certainly driven on worse.

I think that idea that a self-driving car that will work safely in the US will not work in Thailand (or wherever you think the roads are so much better than in Thailand) is ridiculous.

What might a self-driving car encounter on a Thai road that it would have to be prepared to encounter on a US road?

Well of course, what it does it stop. Just stop. Everywhere and all the time. Traffic jams for no reason, other than the car doesn't know what to do.

I can't wait!

I also can't wait for "Star in a reasonably priced driverless car" :P

Edited by IMHO

You're joking, right?
No, I'm not joking. While I have driven on better, I have certainly driven on worse.

I think that idea that a self-driving car that will work safely in the US will not work in Thailand (or wherever you think the roads are so much better than in Thailand) is ridiculous.

What might a self-driving car encounter on a Thai road that it would have to be prepared to encounter on a US road?

U-turns on major highways, road markings that make no sense or just lead vehicles into no man's land, no right of way, random ways to mark junctions, police changing traffic lights to deliberately generate fines and random fiddling with one-way systems and other nonsense immediately spring to mind.

Well of course, what it does it stop. Just stop. Everywhere and all the time. Traffic jams for no reason, other than the car doesn't know what to do.

I can't wait!

I also can't wait for "Star in a reasonably priced driverless car" :P

Makes me want to be a kid again throwing water balloons off freeway overpasses...

Because the cars will all be linked and communicating with each other, all the stars (or party leaders) will have VIP chips that will clear traffic for them.

Think about how great it would be for the police to be able to override the controls during car chases, or for the government to implement curfews in emergencies.