Huay Tung Tao now 50 baht for "foreign tourists"

taotoo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously a few baht is neither here nor there.

Perhaps the annoyance at dual pricing is because after long term residence it would simply be nice not to be discriminated against......to feel at home.

I guess that is amplified when one pays income tax without some important benefits that that tax contributes to, meaning one is essentially contributing more.

I'd say there's a genetic aversion to unfairness, certainly to others and this may be an example of an aversion against unfairness to oneself.

Ok the average thai probably makes 12000 baht A month.i was making 200000 baht A month til I retired.Now I still have A 50000

Baht A month income.So for that I don't have any problem paying more.And when I go to A restaurant or taxi etc I give 15-20%

Tip.The average Thai don't make big money.I'm in their country I don't mind helping out.

Do you offer to pay 150% extra when you go shopping?

Edited by MESmith

Ok the average thai probably makes 12000 baht A month.i was making 200000 baht A month til I retired.Now I still have A 50000

Baht A month income.So for that I don't have any problem paying more.And when I go to A restaurant or taxi etc I give 15-20%

Tip.The average Thai don't make big money.I'm in their country I don't mind helping out.

When I stop at the petrol station and see diesel at 20bht/l I always say,

'I'm a very rich foreigner and in my country earn 100x your wage, let me pay 100bht/l'

When I stop at the petrol station and see diesel at 20bht/l I always say,

'I'm a very rich foreigner and in my country earn 100x your wage, let me pay 100bht/l'

I make it easier for them. I just indicate for them to bill my credit card twice. I feel everyone will respect and love me more if I do this.

Perhaps the annoyance at dual pricing is because after long term residence it would simply be nice not to be discriminated against......to feel at home.

I guess that is amplified when one pays income tax without some important benefits that that tax contributes to, meaning one is essentially contributing more.

I'd say there's a genetic aversion to unfairness, certainly to others and this may be an example of an aversion against unfairness to oneself.

it's 1 GBP and not worth inconveniencing the queue of cars behind you. we know they are xenophobic so here's a book recommendation for you. have a nice day

post-233765-0-86456600-1452653640_thumb.

Edited by LannaGuy

it's 1 GBP and not worth inconveniencing the queue of cars behind you. we know they are xenophobic so here's a book recommendation for you. have a nice day

Ah yes, Richard Carlson, PhD. He got that degree from a 7th day adventist La Sierra University that teaches creationism, and whose highest degree awarded is an EdD. Similar to John Grey PhD the "Men are from Mars" guy, whose PhD is actually a correspondence course, non-accredited. Popular books, basically pablum, ok if one is a bit obsessed. Obituary: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/richard-carlson-430230.html

Ah yes, Richard Carlson, PhD. He got that degree from a 7th day adventist La Sierra University that teaches creationism, and whose highest degree awarded is an EdD. Similar to John Grey PhD the "Men are from Mars" guy, whose PhD is actually a correspondence course, non-accredited. Popular books, basically pablum, ok if one is a bit obsessed. Obituary: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/richard-carlson-430230.html

his point is valid and it sold millions and spent an eternity on the New York Times Bestseller list but perhaps you have done the same?

my point IS 1 pound is not worth holding up a queue of people who want to have a nice day out - back on topic please

Edited by LannaGuy

Look at the behaviour of many so-called “Farangs”, we have made it too easy for them. Not surprised operators of Huay Tong Tau are cashing in on the massive Fleecing which is Thai tourism.

• A general failure to integrate and adapt to local conditions, inability to bargain with merchants, paying double for transport almost as a matter of course.

• Voluntarily throwing “tips” around as to remain in ones' comfort zone.

• Stuffing gullet with “Sunday Roasts” and imported beverages when good local tucker is cheap and plentiful.

• Patronizing various overpriced attractions not to mention the truly ridiculous things like going into a cage with a tiger. Falling for scams that have been well publicized and written about for years such as renting Jet Skis and Gems.

• Purchasing homes, land and gold for ugly Isaarn slappers with whom no Thai man would have for free. Paying Sinsot for women with little to bring to a marriage but bastard brats, bad habits, questionable judgement, and bellies hanging down.
Sorry this time I am just going to have to blame the victim.

his point is valid and it sold millions and spent an eternity on the New York Times Bestseller list but perhaps you have done the same?

my point IS 1 pound is not worth holding up a queue of people who want to have a nice day out - back on topic please

Ah yes, back on topic, and what topic is that? Treating this as a "little thing" that should be ignored, and validating this by a popular writer. Well, indeed, popular writer but popularity is no guarantee of actual insight beyond the trite and simplistic. There are a host of examples, beyond the one you recommend, and the other I mention, for example that great bestseller Kahlil Gibran: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v20/n17/robert-irwin/i-am-a-false-alarm

No, indeed, the point is that racist/nationalist/xenophobic pricing is indeed wrongheaded and there is a definite need to have those in charge of pricing come to the same conclusion and refrain from it. If ability to pay is what is being targeted, there are many well-to-do Thai people who benefit based on their nationality. It really is only an excuse.

Other countries with such dual pricing practices also discuss this issue, for example in India: http://www.thehindu.com/thread/arts-culture-society/article7783596.ece

Via the backside you can enter for free, just go to the top of Suthep mountain and down on the other side, you end up right at the lake it's a wonderful trip did it many times.

Had to smile at the first line of you post, sorry!:o

Ah. The perennial two price whinge! I am back in OZ and I can tell you that we have a many tiered price structure for all amenities. It is called taxation. The better off pay more to keep the infrastructure going. If you pay Thai taxes then you should pay Thai prices - if not then it is not unreasonable for you to pay a little extra. At the weekend I took a couple of visitors to see our local (and pathetic) little Bell Tower. For a fifteen minute visit it cost 1300BHT . HTT is better value.

And my point is,

Who gives a flying $£"k about people in the queue behind?

If they don't like waiting, they can pay the extra 20bht for me.

Me, happy to block the road and argue for an hour!

(works at police road blocks too)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

And my point is,

yup that says a lot about you unfortunately

Ah yes, back on topic, and what topic is that? Treating this as a "little thing" that should be ignored, and validating this by a popular writer. Well, indeed, popular writer but popularity is no guarantee of actual insight beyond the trite and simplistic. There are a host of examples, beyond the one you recommend, and the other I mention, for example that great bestseller Kahlil Gibran: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v20/n17/robert-irwin/i-am-a-false-alarm

No, indeed, the point is that racist/nationalist/xenophobic pricing is indeed wrongheaded and there is a definite need to have those in charge of pricing come to the same conclusion and refrain from it. If ability to pay is what is being targeted, there are many well-to-do Thai people who benefit based on their nationality. It really is only an excuse.

Other countries with such dual pricing practices also discuss this issue, for example in India: http://www.thehindu.com/thread/arts-culture-society/article7783596.ece

it certainly is a VERY little thing that you can discuss, bitch and moan at but you won't change and if you really cannot afford 1 GBP don't go there

it certainly is a VERY little thing that you can discuss, bitch and moan at but you won't change and if you really cannot afford 1 GBP don't go there

It's not about "not being able to afford".

have i said, anywhere, that I agree with dual pricing? because I don't. I am saying it's not worth the hassle for 20 baht

Edited by LannaGuy

have i said, anywhere, that I agree with dual pricing? because I don't. I am saying it's not worth the hassle for 20 baht

Tis

You gotta fight for your right to party @20 baht....

Edited by MESmith

Aux armes, citoyens, , Formez vos bataillons, , Marchons, marchons ! ! Qu'un sang impur Abreuve nos sillons !

Such is the stuff of revolutions - get some perspective

Aux armes, citoyens, , Formez vos bataillons, , Marchons, marchons ! ! Qu'un sang impur Abreuve nos sillons !

Such is the stuff of revolutions - get some perspective

Fools & their money are easily parted thumbsup.gif

I'm so happy for you. Obviously you don't mind bignoting yourself on TV either.laugh.png

And my point is,

I think you've mentioned previously your favoured mode of transport is a bicycle. Blocking the road? For an hour? Over 20 baht? Good luck with that. There's a psychiatric hospital on Chiang Saen Road, would you like a reservation?

I think you've mentioned previously your favoured mode of transport is a bicycle. Blocking the road? For an hour? Over 20 baht? Good luck with that. There's a psychiatric hospital on Chiang Saen Road, would you like a reservation?

I have a bicycle,

Actually I have 4 bicycles, 1 pickup, 3 motorcycles.

Not everyone posting on these forums is a dirt poor school teacher with only 1 mode of transport.

Sometimes, I even drive the pickup around with the bicycles in the back.

I have a bicycle,

Not everyone posting on these forums is a dirt poor school teacher with only 1 mode of transport.

I can see why you would need so many vehicles with a multiple personality.smile.png

I have a bicycle,

I can see why you would need so many vehicles with a multiple personality.smile.png

Your return of service hit the net - match point to MJMTB

I have a bicycle,

Your return of service hit the net - match point to MJMTB

I'm a golfer - he has a six foot downhill putt with 3 inches of break for a half.