British woman injured and valuables stolen in daylight Phuket snatch and grab theft

snoop1130

British woman injured and valuables stolen in daylight Phuket snatch and grab theft
The Phuket News

1452507264_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- A 26-year-old British woman had over B100,000 worth of valuables stolen and suffered serious abrasions to her arms and legs when shewas the victim of a snatch and grab theft on Phra Phuket Keaw Rd in kathu at 5:40pm last Thursday (Jan 7). Police are continuing to hunt fortwo suspects involved in the incident.

The woman, Dalia Hilmi, the Lifestyle Editor at The Phuket News, was riding home from Chalong Pier after a trip to Koh Phi Phi Don when two men on a motorbike viciously grabbed a bag she was carrying.

The force of the grab caused Miss Hilmi to fall from the bike and left her with serious abrasions to both her arms and legs and also a burn to her neck caused by the strap of the bag.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-woman-injured-and-valuables-stolen-in-daylight-phuket-snatch-and-grab-theft-55744.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-11

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These very dangerous bag snatches where both the thieves and victim are on motorbikes have been going on for years in Phuket. It seems to be the signature crime there. This type of robbery should be treated at the very least as aggravated robbery and get a minimum of 6 years' imprisonment. However as the attackers are locals, often the police are not really interested and then the courts treat them leniently.

Does the government really think folks will just keep coming if they continue to ignore these terrible problems? Word is getting out that Thailand continues to be a dangerous, often lawless tourist destination with police who don't really care. Maybe we'll have another "crackdown" ala the crackdown on drunks over the New Year holiday which is now long forgotten.

These very dangerous bag snatches where both the thieves and victim are on motorbikes have been going on for years in Phuket. It seems to be the signature crime there. This type of robbery should be treated at the very least as aggravated robbery and get a minimum of 6 years' imprisonment. However as the attackers are locals, often the police are not really interested and then the courts treat them leniently.

How many, male and female, have been kicked off their motorbikes, particularly along the coast road, at night, and then robbed, but died from their injuries.

It's reported as a motorbike accident, when in fact, it is a murder.

I have travels to most countries in the world. And I can sy without a doubt. Phuket has to be the number one crime rate against foreigners in the world. Serious crimes murder rape robbery. Every single day. What has changed in the last ten years? It's gotten worse. What are police doing. Nothing so shut the island off to visitors. It's just too dangerous. Really it's the only answer.

Post removed.

Can we please resist the urge to comment or "blame" the Burmese every time there is any type of incident. Its getting really old and its against forum rules.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

So phuket is now the most dangerous place in the world, with the robbers not getting punished and motorbike accidents really being robberies.

Good info here.

Don't forget all the "suicides" and scams, extortion, corruption, drug abuse, and the many diving deaths.

Edited by NamKangMan

I feel really sorry for the poor girl.

But who in their right mind, would drive around with a 100.000 thb Louis Vuitton bag? It is a clear invitation to robbers who can spot the difference between a fake and and original.

Reminds me of foreigners who wear heavy gold buddha amulets.......

I have travels to most countries in the world. And I can sy without a doubt. Phuket has to be the number one crime rate against foreigners in the world. Serious crimes murder rape robbery. Every single day. What has changed in the last ten years? It's gotten worse. What are police doing. Nothing so shut the island off to visitors. It's just too dangerous. Really it's the only answer.

Such a pity there hasn`t gone out any travel warnings about "the most dangerous place for a foreigner to visit",then coffee1.gif ..........................................

Fascinating. And have you ever visited Phuket? Or just visiting the Phuket forum to post nonsense?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885776-finnish-tourist-slashed-while-fighting-off-bag-thieves-in-phuket/?p=10297627

paradise dream holiday, and before anyone gives the same bull about every city in the world has crime worse than this, smart people tend to stay away from those areas, we are talking about tourists in a tourist area, same goes for pattaya or anywhere else, if the local authorities were to mark out safe zones for tourists - where exactly would they be

Does the government really think folks will just keep coming if they continue to ignore these terrible problems? Word is getting out that Thailand continues to be a dangerous, often lawless tourist destination with police who don't really care. Maybe we'll have another "crackdown" ala the crackdown on drunks over the New Year holiday which is now long forgotten.

I guess that's exactly what the gov't thinks. This and other Thai governments have been ignoring these crime problems for years and each one boasts that under his or her leadership, tourism has never been better. How can you boast about luring more tourists than ever before and admit to a big problem of violent crimes against them existing? Better just to fudge numbers and not officially report incidents.

Edited by Inn Between

First off, I am sorry this happened to her, but...

"...Dalia Hilmi, the Lifestyle Editor at The Phuket News..."

So she presumably lives here and yet still drives around with a tempting bag easy to grab and with that much in valuables in it. She either hasn't lived here long or she doesn't pay attention to the news in her own paper.

So she presumably lives here and yet still drives around with a tempting bag easy to grab and with that much in valuables in it. She either hasn't lived here long or she doesn't pay attention to the news in her own paper.

In 2016, it's not that difficult for an average western tourist to be carrying on them around 100,000 baht worth of property, not including jewellery.

Whether it be a girl carrying a handbag, or a guy with a small backpack, it would not be uncommon for them to be carrying the latest smartphone

and / or a tablet, a camera of reasonable quality - with a large memory card, obviously some cash - Thai baht and / or home currency - probably at least 5000 baht, a pair of brand name sunglasses (yes - I know she is wearing some in the photo) and a good leather purse / wallet. Women would then have some brand name cosmetics as well.

There could be other incidentals as well, such as, a power bank charger, medication, the hotel key, that now has to be paid for, sunscreen, souvenirs, possibly a watch taken off for a swim etc.

Nothing unreasonable about a tourist carrying any of the above in a "World Class Tourist Destination" when going sight seeing, to the beach, and lunch - all in the same outing.

I would suggest an expat would carry similar, probably minus the camera.

Add the value of the above up, and you would be near 100,000 baht, if not over.

Anyway, as the easy farang money dries up on Phuket, and more and more locals get hooked on yaba and ice, you can expect a sharp increase in these crimes here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Every embassy issues common sense advice to travellers. Leave your valuables in the hotel safe. Do not walk in unlit areas at night. Be aware of pickpockets and bag snatches.

No excuse for criminals.

Well this one was not walking and it was still daylight.

Did she live in a hotel?

The real solution is surveillance and effective policing, too late to stop them getting onto the island at the bridge!

Yeah....great Phuket promotion from the lifestyle editor at Phuket News...dont go here if you have any valuable....your life ....never mind, life nothing worth here

Seems like crime pays in LOS

I see so many women riding motorcycles with their bag slung over the shoulder, including my g/f, who I constantly warned.

She laughed it off until one day a few months ago she was forced of the road and threatened to hand her bag over.

Now she keeps it under the seat, which was the advice I previously suggested.

Police told us these types of crimes always increase after prisoners are pardoned each year and released.

The main perpetrators are the 'Yabba' addicts, looking for a quick buck to buy their fix.

Sorry to see the results of another robbery. This woman works as a Lifestyle writer, I'm sure she'll have a lot to say. But, its possible it could of been avoided by her. She wore the bag around the neck, why did she not place it in the storage area? And who walks around with 100,000 baht of stuff in Phuket or Pattaya.

She of all people who lives there and writes about events in Phuket could of used better judgement. Many tourist, especially the men wear jewelry, watches and carry expensive phones and go to walking street of Bangla road to show off thinking they find a very special girl. I dress like a slob, carry only 50 baht notes and always get the girl I want.

Sorry to see the results of another robbery. This woman works as a Lifestyle writer, I'm sure she'll have a lot to say. But, its possible it could of been avoided by her. She wore the bag around the neck, why did she not place it in the storage area? And who walks around with 100,000 baht of stuff in Phuket or Pattaya.

She of all people who lives there and writes about events in Phuket could of used better judgement. Many tourist, especially the men wear jewelry, watches and carry expensive phones and go to walking street of Bangla road to show off thinking they find a very special girl. I dress like a slob, carry only 50 baht notes and always get the girl I want.

Of course ! Because you are the handsome man.

Please don't blame the victim, these snatches tend to occur more often when we end up with tougher economic times. Also, many times, the perpetrators come from out of the area.