Finnish tourist slashed while fighting off bag thieves in Phuket

webfact

Things like these are the reason I stay the hell out of tourist areas! OK, there are crimes here too but just some things to compare to: I have never locked my bicycle here in the north sins I moved from BKK (not even at Big C or Tesco) and still it's standing there when I get back, when I go to the market I just do as all people around here and just leave what I buy on the bike,motorcycle or pickup and the only thing that's ever got lost was 2 bottles of beer that two 14 years old boys stole and I have friends that doesn't even lock their doors...

Today the whole newsthread is full of attacks against foreigners....i hope this trend stops soon.

It will be worse...the average Somchai do not financially benefit from the "Happy" slogan in Bangkok.

. Yes I agree,it will get worse, a lot of people have lost their livelihoods for various reasons over the last 12 months so they are resorting to other means to survive so people need to take special care, bag snatching has been around fore quite a while but it seems to be getting a bit more violent of late.

Really, you think the people that did this are poor, needy, recently unemployed, down on their luck with no money to pay for their next meal?

I very much doubt it.

Today the whole newsthread is full of attacks against foreigners....i hope this trend stops soon.

It will be worse...the average Somchai do not financially benefit from the "Happy" slogan in Bangkok.

. Yes I agree,it will get worse, a lot of people have lost their livelihoods for various reasons over the last 12 months so they are resorting to other means to survive so people need to take special care, bag snatching has been around fore quite a while but it seems to be getting a bit more violent of late.

Really, you think the people that did this are poor, needy, recently unemployed, down on their luck with no money to pay for their next meal?

I very much doubt it.

Depends on your definition of poor of course, but in my view yes, add uneducated, not next meal, next shot.

things appear to be getting desperate for these bag snatchers in Phuket 1 dead lady 2 badly injured ladies where will it end .

It's not going to stop, and will only get worse, until the cops take a PROACTIVE approach to things, instead of a REACTIVE approach.

I believe the cops have finally settled on an INACTIVE approach to this issue.

I very much doubt it.

Exactly. That poor Scottish lady ( a few years back) who had a bag snatched on Soi 22 sukhumvit was dragged down the road and had her head smashed against a pole and died. My mates wife's handbag was snatched at ASoke Junction in 1995 ( mega surprised then!)

As stated earlier, we are now deemed an open target..the less the police do the more it will be done.

Can't get over people coming on here and stating she should do this or have done that, the women is on holiday, in a country perceived to be safe..she took her handbag with her..most women do!!

...do you really think a fanny pack is the answer......

...these are savages you are dealing with....

...imagine they want to slash your fanny pack off...you will be gutted....if 2 are not enough for the job...they will be 3...or 2 motorcycles....

..rarely...if ever caught...apologize...released....

...robbery with a weapon...or attempted murder.....

.....5-10 years....that is what they should get.....

...need more prisons...build them.......

...and get the police to 'want to catch the criminals'.....

...we risk our lives simply walking down the streets....like civilized human beings......and we are blamed if we are attacked...robbed...or killed...

..what a load of crock...

As I said on the other thread, knife-wielding bag snatchers attacking women from motorbikes 2-up is Phuket's signature crime. Police are useless, too busy "self-funding" and reluctant to upset the locals.

You are mistaken. There are no police on Phuket. There is a RCD (revenue collection department) that wears police uniforms. The uninformed think they do police work. The rest of us know better.

need to carry pepper spray in your pocket, and let em have it !!

Women would most likely have the pepper spray in the purse being stolen and with thieves on motorbikes, it only takes a couple of seconds.

that's why I said pocket !

I said most women would keep it in their purse, because they would. However, let's say she kept the pepper spray in her pocket. So, in the one or two seconds of the passing motorbike, she is struggling with the thief for her purse with one hand and reaching into her pocket with the other--hmm, good plan.

Women would most likely have the pepper spray in the purse being stolen and with thieves on motorbikes, it only takes a couple of seconds.

I said most women would keep it in their purse, because they would. However, let's say she kept the pepper spray in her pocket. So, in the one or two seconds of the passing motorbike, she is struggling with the thief for her purse with one hand and reaching into her pocket with the other--hmm, good plan.

they could always carry a rattle snake around in the bag w00t.gif

Again, another senseless attack however: do not tourist read about the do's and don't of traveling overseas, especially in today's world.

Yes, they read the glossy travel brochures about a Tropical Paradise!

Out late,coming back ALONE in the dark.Why ask for trouble.When on a visit to a foreign country learn about the ins and outs of surviving while there.When in Thailand do not wear any necklace that even looks like it may be gold,do not wonder alone late in an unfamiliar area,carry only what you need to spend on you with a COPY of your passport and visa.USE common sence.Things still may happen to you even in this manner but show diligence not ignorance.

Well that sounds just like the carefree Tropical Holiday we should all enjoy.

Maybe stay at home behind a securely locked door would be better for you?

Perhaps it's time our Embassy's gave stern travel warnings and the world press repeat them regularly?

So hopefully the victim only loses her bag and is not injured whilst struggling to get the pepper spray aut of her pocket.

(BTW as far as I know, woman's clothing does not have pockets - it would spoil the lines.? OK some shorts might.)

So the victim reports what happens to the BiB and is promptly arrested for carrying an illegal pepper spray?

Thiis is a lose lose situation for the tourist and

win win for the thieves and their handlers.

Many years ago on holiday in Spain.

Just after arrival, I changed pounds to pesatas and was on my way back to the hotel and my pocket was picked.

I reported this to the police at 10am.

They said I should come back at 5pm and they would have my wallet with everything intact, credit cards etc,

only the money would be gone.

I asked how they knew this.

They said that since I was a big spender, the thieves would leave the wallet in a place known to the police........

I would have my credit cards and could quickly get more funds so the holiday would not be a total disaster.

Hand in glove if you know what I mean!

agree on only the essentials bit, why oh why do ladies have to go out at night carrying everything except the kitchen sink, message to all ladies,sit down NOW, empty your bag on the table, and think, "do i realy need this", NEVER carry your mobile in your bag probably costing 20,000 baht.,and what lady spends 10,000 on a night out, us men do he he.

agree on only the essentials bit, why oh why do ladies have to go out at night carrying everything except the kitchen sink, message to all ladies,sit down NOW, empty your bag on the table, and think, "do i realy need this", NEVER carry your mobile in your bag probably costing 20,000 baht.,and what lady spends 10,000 on a night out, us men do he he.

Agreed!

I just posted this on the Danish lad robbed of 20,000b and an iPhone.

My solution?

Have two wallets.

The main one to leave at home when you go out on the town.

The party wallet has photo copy of DL, PP Visa and limited cash and a condom or two!

No credit cards etc.

Same for the ladies n their handbags.

The only trouble is that say 5,000-10,000b is still big money to these thieves

so it won't stop them.

It just makes it easier to give up without a struggle.

Edited by laislica

why would anyone go out with 10000, baht that is £180 english, i can get through 5000 and that is buying more lady drinks than is good for me he he, my phone (if i carry) it is in a cASE on my trouser belt, covered by my shirt. still the little shites like to target ladies mostly,

They caught the 2 guys. They robbed a Chinese tourist before this attack but her bag had nothing in it.

Just wait a bit and the claims will be here that these 2 are just scapegoats and not the real robbers.

Yes, I agree. Why can't they report about interesting things like football and local celebrities.

I'd opt for videos of barbers cutting hair.