I was just shoulder barged by a Thai lad.

condo bought

I was up in Future Park, wandering along minding my own business. I stopped at a window for a look, about 5-10 seconds later - 'Bang!' shoulder charged, turned around to see 3 younger Thai guys walking off.

Was a bit of a surprise. Can't remember the last time I was shoulder charged. Actually I think I can, a big Lebo bloke in a Sydney club 15 years ago.

It made me think of the 2 Thais in CM that were caught going around slapping farangs on the head with their sandals. :D

It's kind of like that many of them don't like us, for no personal reason. :D

I get that feeling sometimes from some Thai people. Just ignore it as long as you're not really injured. It's not worth getting into a lather over. There's xenophobia here, and everywhere.

Why you think there is xenophobia here.

I just went to Diary Queen in Big C extra this evening, and standing in queue in front of the cashier ( a new one I admit ) with my money in hand to order some ice cream, when it's my turn she pretend I'm not there however looking in my direction a few times.

This goes on for about 2 -3 minutes, after which a Thai lady comes stand in the queue behind me.

The cashier than looks as if she looks through me to ask the Thai lady what she want to order.

I then ask her quite loud if I'm invisible after which one of the regular girls jumps in and serves me.

Edited by TheCruncher

I get that feeling sometimes from some Thai people. Just ignore it as long as you're not really injured. It's not worth getting into a lather over. There's xenophobia here, and everywhere.

Why you think there is xenophobia here.

I just went to Diary Queen in Big C extra this evening, and standing in front of the cashier ( a new one I admit ) with my money in hand to order some ice cream, but she pretend I'm not there however looking in my direction a few times.

This goes on for about 2 -3 minutes, after which a Thai lady comes stand in the queue behind me.

The cashier than looks as if she looks through me to ask the Thai lady what she want to order.

I then ask her quite loud if I'm invisible after which one of the regular girls jumps in and serves me.

and did ya check ya change and look out for the promotions ....

What's a 'lebo bloke?'

Hazard a guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_Australians

Oh I see. It's a racist term?
Ah surely the argument that youve REGULARLY used when arguing in defence of using farang that its not meant with any maliciouness applies. Mate they are all derogatory terms and The use of them ignorant or not needs addressing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What's a 'lebo bloke?'

Hazard a guess.

Just wondering how Yank, Pom, Aussie, Digger, Kiwi, Geordie, Lebbo, Falang & the like can be construed as racist.

They were all being used well before all this politically correct nonsense emerged.

I'm happy to answer to... Aussie, silly farang, ya old bastard,

Yes, sometimes a slang name might be used in a racist way, but in a lot of instances no malintent is intended.

But then, just my opinion.

Wind your necks in, chaps.

That squiggle at the end of my post is a question mark. I was asking if it's considered a racist term.

Although by the defensive replies I received, I'm guessing it probably is.

not racist at all, just the way aussies talk, shortening of words is very common in the aussie language, lebo - lebenese, itie - italian, aussie - australian, footy - football(real racist hey), frangi - frangipani, barbie - barbeque etc etc. Admittedly the way it is said can infer racism but in the greater majority of cases it is not meant in any derogatory way at all, using slang is just common in every country. I still use aussie slang ocassionally, noah - shark(noahs ark), china - mate(china plate), frog & toad - road, just a matter of prospective and probably which era you grew up in.

What's a 'lebo bloke?'

Hazard a guess.

In Australian, various racial groups often refer to themselves using these terms. It's not uncommon to hear terms like this, nor isn't it necessarily racist, although things always need to be taken in context.

I use to go out <deleted> and my best mate was a leb, however I didn't refer to him as a leb, I normally called him a word which rhymes with runt. As for the girl, she was proud to be a <deleted>, her father had a lovely 3 speed Charger and his new wife was a chink. I ever recall anyone getting upset by being called a <deleted>, unless of course they were a chink or a leb, in which case you better have your mouth guard in.

It's the Australian way.

Also, it's not uncommon for folk to bump into each other, especially in crowded Thai shopping malls, perhaps the OP is just thinking he was shoulder charged......surely 3 young guys shoulder charging him would of seen him go arse over tit ?

Edited by neverdie

Wind your necks in, chaps.

That squiggle at the end of my post is a question mark. I was asking if it's considered a racist term.

Although by the defensive replies I received, I'm guessing it probably is.

not racist at all, just the way aussies talk, shortening of words is very common in the aussie language, lebo - lebenese, itie - italian, aussie - australian, footy - football(real racist hey), frangi - frangipani, barbie - barbeque etc etc. Admittedly the way it is said can infer racism but in the greater majority of cases it is not meant in any derogatory way at all, using slang is just common in every country. I still use aussie slang ocassionally, noah - shark(noahs ark), china - mate(china plate), frog & toad - road, just a matter of prospective and probably which era you grew up in.
Yeah but it ain't the era you grew up in mate and in todays world any words based on race with derogatory connotations is racist. And it ain't any good decrying those peoples views, if its perceived Its there and therefore racist. The quicker people on this forum got to grips with that the better

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

zey dont like us. zey is tchantching ze gole posts effry now and zen. zey chust vant our munny butt vee kant own land. purhaps vee shood leaf zis kountry und settle zomevhere else preferably at ze côte d'azur, e.g. Monte Carlo vhere it is less ekspensif and vhere vee kan own land and hauses?

What's a 'lebo bloke?'

Hazard a guess.

Just wondering how Yank, Pom, Aussie, Digger, Kiwi, Geordie, Lebbo, Falang & the like can be construed as racist.

They were all being used well before all this politically correct nonsense emerged.

I'm happy to answer to... Aussie, silly farang, ya old bastard,

Yes, sometimes a slang name might be used in a racist way, but in a lot of instances no malintent is intended.

But then, just my opinion.

I agree with you 100% I feel terms like this is like nicknames for friends. It is simply a more relaxed way of talking.

I call myself a canuck or canucklehead or gringo or farang. means nothing just a word to recognise an individual. Many of my friends in life are japs,wops,kruats etc. and never in the whole time we have known each other has it been a problem to use those terms in each others presense.