Thai flag to fly the highest atop record-shattering pole

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly can a pole cost 250 million baht? What is it made from? Gold encrusted with platinum with jade on top i guess. Who is footing the bill for this ridiculous venture

When he came up here on his recce the Tuk Tuk driver who picked him up from the airport told him that the flagpole shop was closed for a special holiday, but luckily he has a brother who....

With the smoke haze that is a bane of the North, how many days of the year will you be able to see the flag 189 meters high

Methinks this yahoo is smoking some of that haze, especially if he thinks that :

He made Trident, which has put up seven of the world’s 10 tallest poles, promise to never build another tallest flagpole for any other country

The Trident guys were smart: They promised not to build one for another country, but didn't say anything about private citizens ;)

IMHO, it would be a more unifying project if it were to fly all the flags of the ASEAN countries.

In a world of 'me, me, me' I just see this as nationalistic action that will divide, not unite.

How about flying the flag of each ASEAN country (10 countries) for 1 month at a time? Be nice to see the Myanmar flag flying up there for a few weeks,.

We don't need no nationalism and we don't need no patriotism - we need to be proud that we are all citizens of Mother Earth (well, except for that nutty Martian politician...)

5 year olds in the West have similar ideas to many Thai 'leaders'.

I just asked my 5 year old and she thinks it's a good idea. She would also like to see a Frozen fun park on ice in Chiang Mai with a real Elsa to make Thai people happy. I smiled and said sure, I'll pass the idea on to the Governor.

There's no point. Let it go..

• 1 month later...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Village_(North_Korea)

In the 1980s, the South Korean government built a 98.4 m (323 ft) tall flagpole with a 130-kilogram (287 lb) flag of South Korea in Daeseong-dong (37°56′30.24″N 126°40′48.07″E).

The North Korean government responded by building a taller one, the Panmunjeom flagpole, at 160 m (525 ft) with a 270 kg (595 lb) flag of North Korea in Kijŏng-dong, 1.2 km (0.7 mi) across the demarcation line from South Korea (37°56′42.99″N 126°39′18.78″E), in what some have called the "flagpole war". The flagpole was the second tallest in the world at the time, after the flag of Azerbaijan in Baku at 162 m (531 ft).[11][15][16] It is now the fourth tallest flagpole in the world, after the Dushanbe Flagpole in Tajikistan, at 165 m (541 ft), and the Jeddah Flagpole in Saudi Arabia, at 170 m (558 ft).

The flagpole is designed to be an advertisement for the greatness that is North Korea.

post-145516-14580315197125_thumb.jpg