Why do many Thais get aggressive on the road if I overtake them?

Out of curiosity...what is your hurry?

We are mostly retired, old fogies that dread going back home to the wife. Where's the fire?

Let them pass, put on some Jimmy Buffet and light one up. Don't become part of the circus. The only place I am going is to eat or get a beer.

It's not the Op who is in a hurry, it's the Thai who needs to get in front at all costs, no matter how many lives he endangers in the process. It's usually the motorist who is toodling along sticking to the speed limit and obeying the road rules who gets cleaned up by these maniacs.

It is the way of the world. People are racing around...late for this, late for that...or just frustrated. I would not let them bother me. Best to let them pass. It is like this in New York, California, Hawaii...and most any other place I have been. Locals in a hurry....and non locals tooling along. That is what I mean.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get the impression that a lot of the [posters on this thread are still trying to drive in Thailand as if they were in their home country. You don't make up the rules yourself...look how others drive here and adapt.

But that's what driving here is, making up the rules yourself.

If you make up the rules, how will others know them?

Not have that problem or other problems like that at all. does not matter if I drive big car or small car . if it is a rented rented car, company car or self owned car.

Come in many places with the cars like Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Nkhbon Ratchasima, Chaing Rai, Trat, and so on. So there most be something that you do that triggers this behavior.

Try watching some Thai TV news if you really want to see what's going on. The fact that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, quite frankly makes your comments ridiculous.

Not have that problem or other problems like that at all. does not matter if I drive big car or small car . if it is a rented rented car, company car or self owned car.

Come in many places with the cars like Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Nkhbon Ratchasima, Chaing Rai, Trat, and so on. So there most be something that you do that triggers this behavior.

Try watching some Thai TV news if you really want to see what's going on. The fact that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, quite frankly makes your comments ridiculous.

...and 80% of those deaths are motorcyclists....take that out of the equation and you get a death rate about the same as USA.

Edited by Loeilad

I get the impression that a lot of the [posters on this thread are still trying to drive in Thailand as if they were in their home country. You don't make up the rules yourself...look how others drive here and adapt.

If you make up the rules, how will others know them?

They don't, that's what makes driving here so dangerous. When I said yourself, I wasn't meaning myself, but Thais in general, there's just far too much selfishness on the road.

...and 80% of those deaths are motorcyclists.

So what? Do you think it's just motorcycle colliding with motorcycle, or do you think there might be cars involved?

Out of curiosity...what is your hurry?

We are mostly retired, old fogies that dread going back home to the wife. Where's the fire?

Let them pass, put on some Jimmy Buffet and light one up. Don't become part of the circus. The only place I am going is to eat or get a beer.

It's not the Op who is in a hurry, it's the Thai who needs to get in front at all costs, no matter how many lives he endangers in the process. It's usually the motorist who is toodling along sticking to the speed limit and obeying the road rules who gets cleaned up by these maniacs.

It is the way of the world. People are racing around...late for this, late for that...or just frustrated. I would not let them bother me. Best to let them pass. It is like this in New York, California, Hawaii...and most any other place I have been. Locals in a hurry....and non locals tooling along. That is what I mean.

Passing on a bend or the crest of a hill, who gets cleaned up? the innocent cyclist or motorist. No amount of patience will fix that.

Because if you get in front of them, they will NEVER get to where they are going! 5555 Ever notice how they want to be where they want to be. It's the transit between point A and point B that they can't cope with because that is NOT where they want to be. So they try to get from A to B as fast as they can.

...and 80% of those deaths are motorcyclists.

So what? Do you think it's just motorcycle colliding with motorcycle, or do you think there might be cars involved?

Thailand has about the same number of "collisions" as UK (less than the USA) but a death rate 10 times higher.

The topic is about aggressive Thai behaviour, the statistics don't support you point of view.

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

Try to see it from the other drivers point of view

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

Nonsense. smile.png

I agree and it is nonsense, The attitude problem is way worse here than in most of Europe and I have driven a lot of miles. The OP is completely correct.

Thailand has about the same number of "collisions" as UK (less than the USA) but a death rate 10 times higher.The topic is about aggressive Thai behaviour, the statistics don't support you point of view.

We don't appear to be on the same page here. Aggressive behaviour is one of the problems that contribute to road deaths. I don't know what the percentage of motorcyclists are killed in proportion to motorists, but it doesn't matter, motorcyclist exhibit aggressive behaviour as well.

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

Nonsense. smile.png

I agree and it is nonsense, The attitude problem is way worse here than in most of Europe and I have driven a lot of miles. The OP is completely correct.

I think it is a common problem of perception that i notice in many TV posters that they in fact know very little about how we as humans perceive things. In fact confirmation bias is well established and documented; to dismiss as nonsense would just be a sign of ignorance of the information availalbe to support this.

A good starting point would be to accept that "seeing is NOT believing".

Edited by Loeilad

I see it everywhere I drive.US and in Thailand.The other driver thinks he's going fast enough til he gets passed by another vehicle.

Then he wakes up and realizes he's not going near as fast as he should be going.Sometimes I wonder if these people really know

What their doing.

Of course they know. They are doing many other more important things but by overtaking them the level of importance races up the list and the right foot is rapidly depressed at the same time as the left forefinger is rapidly flicking the high beam to let you know you have turned on the aggression. You are just a minion, how dare you pass? I will get revenge. I will risk my life to get you back and I care not of all others lives too. If anyone dies it will be all your fault for having the audacity to pass me. I have every right to be texting on my phone and driving slowly and you should wait until I have finished and speed up before you do this thing to me. Where is my gun?

Nonsense. smile.png

I think it is a common problem of perception that i notice in many TV posters that they in fact know very little about how we as humans perceive things. In fact confirmation bias is well established and documented; to dismiss as nonsense would just be a sign of ignorance of the information availalbe to support this.

A good starting point would be to accept that "seeing is NOT believing".

What is it that you just refuse to accept, that Thais are aggressive, bad drivers, that the death toll is ridiculously high?

One post and a reply to it has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

please read the forum rules before you post further they can be found HERE

I have driving in many countries around the world, and the thing is that drivers agro is NOT unique to Thai

drivers, I have seen and experienced much worse, with tail gating, horn honking, light flashing, middle fingers and coming

out to physically hit you wit some hard instruments or a tool....

In my opinion, Thai drivers are way timid compare to many other places around the world...

Exactly, try Argentina, possibly the worst drivers in the world.

And lndonesia.

Was out driving with my gf(in the middle lane)& being overtaken on both sides by bikes & cars who would then cut in front of me.

l fully expected to see the idiots side-swipe each other & was poised for it.

That didn't happen but then we came to a red light at a crossroads & everyone just kept driving through it.

l stopped to the furious honking behind me & the gf shouting "go go go go go".

The cross traffic also had a red light & were stopped.

l guess that they were about to start up any second, hence the joker behind me getting frantic to get through before they did.

So l had to start up again & drive through.

Have you ever consciously driven through a red light. lts a difficult mental block to overcome.

Of course then l had to put up with the gf's repetitious, "why you stop?" until she got tired of it.

How do you explain that with everyone else believing that they are right & you are wrong?

I have driving in many countries around the world, and the thing is that drivers agro is NOT unique to Thai

drivers, I have seen and experienced much worse, with tail gating, horn honking, light flashing, middle fingers and coming

In my opinion, Thai drivers are way timid compare to many other places around the world...

And lndonesia.

Was out driving with my gf(in the middle lane)& being overtaken on both sides by bikes & cars who would then cut in front of me.

l fully expected to see the idiots side-swipe each other & was poised for it.

That didn't happen but then we came to a red light at a crossroads & everyone just kept driving through it.

l stopped to the furious honking behind me & the gf shouting "go go go go go".

The cross traffic also had a red light & were stopped.

l guess that they were about to start up any second, hence the joker behind me getting frantic to get through before they did.

So l had to start up again & drive through.

Have you ever consciously driven through a red light. lts a difficult mental block to overcome.

Of course then l had to put up with the gf's repetitious, "why you stop?" until she got tired of it.

How do you explain that with everyone else believing that they are right & you are wrong?

Why were you in the middle lane????

giddyup -

I don't accept baseless interpretations and illogical conclusions drawn from what uninformed people consider as evidence. They need the intellectual tools to be able to examine the evidence rationally.

If you have any knowledge of critical thinking you will recognise the expression "the plural of anecdote is not data".

It's interesting that so many Thais will go out of their way to make things difficult for other drivers.

For example, if a car moves into a space in front of them, they will often speed up to make it difficult for them.

Speed up then brake.

Why?

Edited by condo bought

Why? Thais have to be first.

Then why are the most of them in the right lane going slow?rolleyes.gif

In my experience, I find that Thai drivers either drive too fast or too slow, there is not a lot of middle ground.

Also, I think a lot of them drive slow because of bad eyesight, you see them driving with their nearside wheels

very close to the white line of the hard shoulder.

Why? Thais have to be first.

Because they know, they only can be first on the road.

Never in my driving life either in my home country or any other country have I ever bothered about anyone overtaking me.

Except when further ahead of me they slow down to make a left hand turn and then cause me to slow down also.

This is mainly Thai drivers I am referring too, typical Thai mentality.

Even worse than Thailands?????????????????

Never mind any laws or rules, just use genuine common sense, a trait which is very alien to Thais.

I think it is also due to the rather aggressive car advertising in the TV Spots.
All spots are very masculine and aggressive. Suggested is often unlimited freedom,
infinite power, the lack of any gravity, slim - beautiful car shapes, electronic smartness and
implied phallus symbols in the form of erect antennas and spoilers.

When the drivers get in there cars, then arises the transformation:
I am powerful, strong, beautiful, invincible and potent.

And then you come and overtake him!

The collapse of this image can then not be taken without a fight.