Speed camera check points and the law?

MJKT2014

Appreciate all the feedback guys, even the patronising comments welcomed to keep momentum!

** I was really wondering just whether there's a reliable Thailand based social generated list of camera speed check locations these days? I've got one location I will always remember of Asian Highway 2 at least to add to my database (cannot see anything wrong with doing that?) but there must be a bigger collection of data out there?

In the old days one relied on oncoming traffic to warn of a police ("trap"?) ahead, and in these days of hi tech I would have thought a gadget based method more appropriate.

For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable.

"For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable."

So if you're breaking the law and are not warned that you'll get a fine for that it is questionable to be fined?

I think the point here is what is the purpose of the camera and fine.

If it's revenue generation (most likely here) then fine hide and catch people out.

But if it's to improve road safety and you want people to slow down, then those spots should be advertised/highlighted so that the desired behavior occurs.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

People that are dangerous on the roads are not logical enough to be safer to others when theres a speed camera.

Thai or farang in a vios are as dangerous with speed cameras as without them

Appreciate all the feedback guys, even the patronising comments welcomed to keep momentum!

** I was really wondering just whether there's a reliable Thailand based social generated list of camera speed check locations these days? I've got one location I will always remember of Asian Highway 2 at least to add to my database (cannot see anything wrong with doing that?) but there must be a bigger collection of data out there?

In the old days one relied on oncoming traffic to warn of a police ("trap"?) ahead, and in these days of hi tech I would have thought a gadget based method more appropriate.

For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable.

"For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable."

So if you're breaking the law and are not warned that you'll get a fine for that it is questionable to be fined?

I think the point here is what is the purpose of the camera and fine.

If it's revenue generation (most likely here) then fine hide and catch people out.

But if it's to improve road safety and you want people to slow down, then those spots should be advertised/highlighted so that the desired behavior occurs.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Excellent response and my thoughts entirely. Enjoying reading the patronising responses as well from the keyboard warriors. I suppose I'll close it for now as no one seems to have any answer for my o/p about a list of POI (points of interest) for speed cam locales. Ah well.

Whats the point? The fines here are ridiculous. I was caught in 180km/h, and got a nice picture and fine sent in the mail. 500 Baht! Haha.. That's just pure comedy! cheesy.gif

Thats like 8 big leo's... for some that speeding fine will have them going sober for a few days as Bt.500 is a big dent in the weekly budget.

• 2 years later...