Speed camera check points and the law?

MJKT2014

Just curious if there is any laws on publishing locations of police camera speed check locations on Thai roads?

Are updated locations available in Thailand on social networks and what is the best source/app to use whilst on the road to be aware of the speed camera check points areas?

We became interested in this having recently received our first electronic speeding ticket complete with GPS tag location in the post from what must have been a hidden police camera on a very open and long straight stretch of Asian Highway 2 as there wasn't a policeman or warning sign in place to be seen.

• Like 1

Would defeat the object if they put signs up.

Think about it all the Thais would be flying along and then hitting the brakes, even more accidents.

There are lots about now mainly in and around BKK. On the expressways, the 9, going south to Patts, north 1/32 around Ayutthaya. They seem to be less frequent once you get a few 80km or so out side. But they are still there. The only way to not get tickets it seems is to go at the correct speed limit. Yes I know not easy but there you go. Just pay up your 500bt whatever it's not going to skint you.

Surely the most sensible - and safe - option is to obey the speed limit at all times?

Patrick

Like the locals do ?

My parents always asked me the following question if I said something but he did it too.. Then then asked if someone else would jump in the canal in the dead of winter.. would I do it too.

Ill let you work it out yourself what that means.

Edited by robblok

Surely the most sensible - and safe - option is to obey the speed limit at all times?

Patrick

Like the locals do ?

My parents always asked me the following question if I said something but he did it too.. Then then asked if someone else would jump in the canal in the dead of winter.. would I do it too.

I am fully aware of the saying,but also there are times when driving here in Thailand warrants doing as those around you do.

I have broken the speed limit in England,Germany,France,Italy,Spain,Portugal,Ireland and numerous to many more to mention.

The OP didn't start the topic to be told how to drive here and to obey the speed limit,the object of the opening post was to determine whether Thailand like the UK advertises the fact on a daily basis by way of radio,social media and signage where fixed or mobile speed cameras will be each day.

A valid question from someone from the west who's logic here unfortunately like many questions doesn't bare much relevance to back home and of which as above derails into the laws of driving here which as long term expats know are non existent.

This is what the OP is talking about.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/mobile-speed-camera.htm

It's common practice in the UK for your sat nav to alert you to speed cameras.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 2

what is the best source/app to use whilst on the road to be aware of the speed camera check points areas?

Hmm. Playing with mobile phone apps whilst driving?

This is another "How can I break the law with impunity" threads. Or "How can I game the system to break the law"

One can buy radar detectors in Thailand. Maybe that is what the OP wants?

• Like 1

What are the speed limits? I have seen very few signs. A few in the larger centres. I assumed this was governed by the condition of the road. I did try asking who has right of way at a traffic circle. The answer I got had something to do with a thick face and was told that if I wait, I will wait and wait and wait.

• Like 1

What are the speed limits? I have seen very few signs. A few in the larger centres. I assumed this was governed by the condition of the road. I did try asking who has right of way at a traffic circle. The answer I got had something to do with a thick face and was told that if I wait, I will wait and wait and wait.

Traffic on the circle has right of way.

Signs are not always valid BTW :)

Sharing checkpoint locations is definitely illegal, but speed cameras is a gray area. Many POI packages for Garmin GPS units have speed camera POI's in them, but they're usually all wrong anyway. Would I recommend you being the person to test the law? No :)

As for points - Thailand does in fact have a points system for driver's licenses, but it's not being implemented at present. If they did decide to start using it, you can be sure they'll make an official announcement first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Patrick

Like the locals do ?

I am fully aware of the saying,but also there are times when driving here in Thailand warrants doing as those around you do.

I have broken the speed limit in England,Germany,France,Italy,Spain,Portugal,Ireland and numerous to many more to mention.

The OP didn't start the topic to be told how to drive here and to obey the speed limit,the object of the opening post was to determine whether Thailand like the UK advertises the fact on a daily basis by way of radio,social media and signage where fixed or mobile speed cameras will be each day.

A valid question from someone from the west who's logic here unfortunately like many questions doesn't bare much relevance to back home and of which as above derails into the laws of driving here which as long term expats know are non existent.

I have broken speed limits too.. probably not as much as you.. but I don't moan when I get a ticket.

Before I heard about speed cams and checkpoints being advertised on Facebook. Later the police took action against it saying it was against the law. This was in Thailand.

I do find it strange how you change your POV about what is valid, in on topic you ask about having it closed (someone wanting xanax as its against the law) and here about speeding (also against the law and far dangerous as you endanger others) you don't seem to mind.

• Haha 1

Patrick

Like the locals do ?

I have broken speed limits too.. probably not as much as you.. but I don't moan when I get a ticket.

Before I heard about speed cams and checkpoints being advertised on Facebook. Later the police took action against it saying it was against the law. This was in Thailand.

I do find it strange how you change your POV about what is valid, in on topic you ask about having it closed (someone wanting xanax as its against the law) and here about speeding (also against the law and far dangerous as you endanger others) you don't seem to mind.

It's about applying common sense,when Thailand gets its act together with driving schools and tuition and the like whereby people are taught to drive and obey the laws then we as westerners can have our say,until the local population start taking note all we discuss on here about speeding and breaking driving laws is a complete waste of time,a minority of foreigners obeying the laws is a far cry from the daily carnage on show here.

I'm all for safe driving,I've undertaken advance driver training in the UK,sadly all that goes out the window as soon as you get behind the wheel here.

The reason for my POV regarding the other topic is simple really,Internet forums are not the place to discuss obtaining drugs wether that be over the counter or otherwise,anyone who's street wise can find just what they are looking for in SEA but do so at your peril.

True, but it's community based so as soon as the Thai community steps it up those cameras etc would be added I presume.

I think the app called Waze is getting more and more popular in Thailand.

That app allows users to add police check points, accidents, etc.

And the information is more or less available in real-time...so not so many stale check-points or camera locations.

What are the speed limits? I have seen very few signs.

In Bangkok 80 for sure, including Expressway. But a lot of leeway is given. So safe to assume 80 in other towns. Unless signed otherwise.

Outside towns in the country 120 on multi-lane roads again unless otherwise signed. Likewise 120 on the Bangkok-Pattaya motorway and the BangNa-Trat expressway once you are outside Bangkok. Again some leeway given. Going to towards Samut Sakhorn on Rama ii just past the outer ring road is technically still Bangkok, so the camera there will give you a ticket for over 120.

It gets tricky when you are on a multi-lane highway that goes through a town with frontage roads on each side. Assume that is 80 or just follow the traffic.

It is kind of like Italy, if you get stopped they will find something you did wrong. Even if you didn't. Treat it like a tax?

• Like 1

you don't actually have to pay them

The news follows Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teeraphol Thipjaroen explaining that if a driver fails to pay the ticket the case is handed over to the PLTO, which would then cancel the driver’s licence.

“We cooperated with police by preventing any changes in registration, ownership, taxes or insurance to cars with outstanding tickets. However, we have no right to revoke their driver’s licence,” Mr Jaturong told the Phuket Gazette.

What are the speed limits? I have seen very few signs.

In Bangkok 80 for sure, including Expressway. But a lot of leeway is given. So safe to assume 80 in other towns. Unless signed otherwise.

Outside towns in the country 120 on multi-lane roads again unless otherwise signed. Likewise 120 on the Bangkok-Pattaya motorway and the BangNa-Trat expressway once you are outside Bangkok. Again some leeway given. Going to towards Samut Sakhorn on Rama ii just past the outer ring road is technically still Bangkok, so the camera there will give you a ticket for over 120.

It gets tricky when you are on a multi-lane highway that goes through a town with frontage roads on each side. Assume that is 80 or just follow the traffic.

It is kind of like Italy, if you get stopped they will find something you did wrong. Even if you didn't. Treat it like a tax?

A popo that once stopped a car that I was a passenger in showed us a list showing that different types of vehicles have different speed limits. It usual Thai logic, a 4 door pickup is safe at faster speeds than a 2 door pickup.

I wonder if a 2 door Ferrari has to go abide by the slower limit?

• Haha 1

A popo that once stopped a car that I was a passenger in showed us a list showing that different types of vehicles have different speed limits. It usual Thai logic, a 4 door pickup is safe at faster speeds than a 2 door pickup.

Sukhumvit-Road-Speed-Limit.jpg

At night motorbikes and tuk-tuks drive on the right, to avoid traffic jams.

Appreciate all the feedback guys, even the patronising comments welcomed to keep momentum!

** I was really wondering just whether there's a reliable Thailand based social generated list of camera speed check locations these days? I've got one location I will always remember of Asian Highway 2 at least to add to my database (cannot see anything wrong with doing that?) but there must be a bigger collection of data out there?

In the old days one relied on oncoming traffic to warn of a police ("trap"?) ahead, and in these days of hi tech I would have thought a gadget based method more appropriate.

For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable.

Appreciate all the feedback guys, even the patronising comments welcomed to keep momentum!

** I was really wondering just whether there's a reliable Thailand based social generated list of camera speed check locations these days? I've got one location I will always remember of Asian Highway 2 at least to add to my database (cannot see anything wrong with doing that?) but there must be a bigger collection of data out there?

In the old days one relied on oncoming traffic to warn of a police ("trap"?) ahead, and in these days of hi tech I would have thought a gadget based method more appropriate.

For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable.

"For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable."

So if you're breaking the law and are not warned that you'll get a fine for that it is questionable to be fined?

OK I'll try again this time not using an image from Stickmanwhistling.gif

image9-e1414370244797.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

<snip>

You clearly do not understand the meaning of the word "entrapment".

Patrick

Patrick

if you do that, you risk being rear-ended in some places

Silly and nonsensical comment.

I have driven, and been driven, in Thailand at regulation speeds over 40 years and never, ever, been "rear ended" in traffic.

Just as have many thousands of other Drivers here.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 1

Patrick

if you do that, you risk being rear-ended in some places

Silly and nonsensical comment.

I have driven, and been driven, in Thailand at regulation speeds over 40 years and never, ever, been "rear ended" in traffic.

Just as have many thousands of other Drivers here.

Patrick

Whilst you have 30 years experience on me I prefer to drive with the flow of the traffic.

To date my traffic accidents = zero.

If I was a stickler of the speed limits I 100% believe that zero would no longer exist.

Edited by Don Mega

"For the record I don't like speeding or flouting the law but also find the idea of hidden cameras and entrapment rather questionable."

So if you're breaking the law and are not warned that you'll get a fine for that it is questionable to be fined?

I think the point here is what is the purpose of the camera and fine.

If it's revenue generation (most likely here) then fine hide and catch people out.

But if it's to improve road safety and you want people to slow down, then those spots should be advertised/highlighted so that the desired behavior occurs.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the point here is what is the purpose of the camera and fine.

If it's revenue generation (most likely here) then fine hide and catch people out.

But if it's to improve road safety and you want people to slow down, then those spots should be advertised/highlighted so that the desired behavior occurs.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Desired behaviour, like suddenly braking and speeding up again.

I don't see any difference between speedtraps here and in the west. Big part revenue making, and big part, over time, behaviour change. The difference is that ATM the margins here are a lit bigger.