• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Elderly woman killed while young girl, 5, hospitalised after crash

snoop1130

That absolutely not what I said. If you read my post I said I agree with increased sentences for fleeing the scene. I also acknowledged there are genuine concerns about being attacked by onlookers who are sometimes too quick to assume guilt.

That's why under Thai law the driver has 24 hours to turn him/herself into a police station. And just in Thailand, same rule in other 'less developed' countries.

This rule is in place due to the risk of the local mob dispensing local instant justice on the driver.

Are you sure about the 24 hour option?

The only reference I can find is in an English translation of the Land Traffic Act, which states...

9: Accidents

Section 78 (2000B / one-month imprisonment)

[Any person who drives a vehicle and causes damage to other person or other person's property, be it his fault or not, shall stop the vehicle and give appropriate assistance, and immediately report to the competent officer who is on duty near to the scene, and leave the information of his full name, address and the vehicle registration number with the injured person.

In the event that the driver escapes or does not report himself to the competent officer at the scene of the accident, it shall be presumed that he is the offender and the competent officer shall have the power to seize the vehicle driven by the driver who has escaped or has failed to report the accident until the case receives the final judgment or the driver is found.

If the owner does not make his presence to the competent officer within six months from the day of the accident, it shall be regarded that the vehicle is associated with a criminal activity, and it shall become the property of the state.]

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-traffic-act/#09

IMHO, if the driver in this tragic incident genuinely feared a lynching, he should have gone as soon as possible to the nearest police station or other place of safety. Maybe there was a reason why he didn't.

Edited by chickenslegs

The accident actually happened before 9 am. I passed by at 8.55 and the body was still in the road. Makes you wonder what else these reporters get wrong.

It was very important to notice the time. Thank you for passing by.

The emergency services were there, a large crowd had gathered (as usual here) and the police were waiving everyone past. What exactly are you suggesting I should have done?

That absolutely not what I said. If you read my post I said I agree with increased sentences for fleeing the scene. I also acknowledged there are genuine concerns about being attacked by onlookers who are sometimes too quick to assume guilt.

That's why under Thai law the driver has 24 hours to turn him/herself into a police station. And just in Thailand, same rule in other 'less developed' countries.

This rule is in place due to the risk of the local mob dispensing local instant justice on the driver.

Are you sure about the 24 hour option?

The only reference I can find is in an English translation of the Land Traffic Act, which states...

9: Accidents

Section 78 (2000B / one-month imprisonment)

[Any person who drives a vehicle and causes damage to other person or other person's property, be it his fault or not, shall stop the vehicle and give appropriate assistance, and immediately report to the competent officer who is on duty near to the scene, and leave the information of his full name, address and the vehicle registration number with the injured person.

In the event that the driver escapes or does not report himself to the competent officer at the scene of the accident, it shall be presumed that he is the offender and the competent officer shall have the power to seize the vehicle driven by the driver who has escaped or has failed to report the accident until the case receives the final judgment or the driver is found.

If the owner does not make his presence to the competent officer within six months from the day of the accident, it shall be regarded that the vehicle is associated with a criminal activity, and it shall become the property of the state.]

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-traffic-act/#09

IMHO, if the driver in this tragic incident genuinely feared a lynching, he should have gone as soon as possible to the nearest police station or other place of safety. Maybe there was a reason why he didn't.

Who on earth would describe a police station as a place of safety,

All understandable, but does Thai law actually allow 24 hours to turn oneself in, and there are no laws prohibiting fleeing the scene of an accident?

The rescue wagons are always there before police !!

Just a guess but likely the old lady just switched lanes without looking, seems to be common practice here.

RIP and swift recovery for the little lass.

it's probable, yes...

I watched many dashcam videos of accidents in Thailand (check out Facebook page "Bad Driver in Thailand"), and the sheer number of accidents caused by drivers not paying attention is staggering.

I mean, these are very stupid accidents, many motorcycles speed into the back of trucks, when a car properly signals and slows down to make a turn it gets hit from behind by motorcycles, some drivers just start driving off when traffic is coming, etc.

"What were they thinking?" well, probably nothing :-(