Adopting Girlfriend's Daughter

Patriot

Good day,

My girlfirend and I have been together for 6 years, and have a 4 year old son.

She has a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship, Father's name is not on the Birth Certificate.

What is the procedure to my becoming her legal guardian along with her mother.

I do NOT want to go down the marriage route.

Many thanks!

With marriage difficult, involves court and lawyers and quite a bit of money, but doable should you really wish.

Without marriage she will have to formally give up her child for adoption, then you could follow foreign/Thai adoption protocols to adopt this child. In reality impossible to achieve, and your gf would no longer be the legal mom.

Thanks for that Gulfsailor, it was really to find the easiest way to acquire visas abroad for her. I work in the states 3 months on / 3 months off and hopefully the whole squad can come and visit on a regular basis. My son's OK as I acquired a British passport for him when he was about 8 months old.

Thanks again

Well from experience. I wouldn't even think about the adoption route, way too long and way to much hassle.

The mother will have all rights to the daughter if she can prove that the father has had nothing to do with the child. Then getting a visa to your country is no

problem whatsoever. So you wont have to get married, your wife should ask the chief for advice if she is unsure.

Father's name not in the birth certificate? A) She doesn't know who the father is. cool.png It was somebody who paid for not to be in.

I do NOT want to go down the marriage route. facepalm.gif

I'm afraid that you have to be married to adopt "her child". Please read this older thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/170994-adopting-thai-step-daughter/

Best thing is to contact the Child adoption centre in person with your personal details and get all the correct forms. In Thailand, it is best to get the latest info and forms.

Their address is:

Child adoption Centre
Rajcharithi Home for Girls
Rajcharithi Rd
Bkk 10400
Thailand

tel: 02-2468651 02-2475084 Note this is an old number, I think there is an extra digit now

Email: [email protected]

They are located near the monument BTS station. (not walking distance, get a taxi).

Expect a long wait there, they are normally quite busy.

Don't expect it to be done quickly, there are a lot of things to do just for the application - references. , financial status - assets, medicals, Embassy letter, Thai paperwork, home visits after the application. Remain calm.

If you are not living in Bangkok I believe there are offices in all the major towns.

Check this website http://travel.state....ountry_337.html although is is for bringing & children to the US the forms & requirements are basically the same for all Farangs even if you are living in Thailand and married to a Thai. Alsohttp://www.thai-cons.../guidelines.doc , http://www.thai-la.n...c/adopting1.htm.

Good luck

Edited by lostinisaan

Thanks for that Gulfsailor, it was really to find the easiest way to acquire visas abroad for her. I work in the states 3 months on / 3 months off and hopefully the whole squad can come and visit on a regular basis. My son's OK as I acquired a British passport for him when he was about 8 months old.

Thanks again

Thai adoption is not counted as legal in the civilized world.

It is unlikely to get you a foreign VISA or passport.

Thanks again

Thai adoption is not counted as legal in the civilized world.

It is unlikely to get you a foreign VISA or passport.

Any evidence to back that up?

Here here. Complete tosh I suspect. Thailand is a signatory of the Hague Convention and a Thai adoption is accepted as legal everywhere I believe. Poster may be confusing legal recognition with rights to settle. OP is a Brit. His newly adopted in Thailand daughter would not have the rights to settle in the UK in the same way as his British passport holding son. She would have to go through the same process that any Thai citizen would.

We have an informally adopted Thai daughter in addition to our Brit & Thai passport holding natural born daughter. Once you have the natural parental paperwork and complicit signatures of both traceable parents the process of obtaining visas is no more difficult than for Thai wife. My experience only applies to UK and Schengen though, maybe US is different. Their are processes for dealing with parents who can't be found, but if Patriot's wife is sole mention on birth cert then she can even sign for Patriot to take his daughter (to UK/Schengen) at least alone. I suspect there would be very stringent checking nonetheless. Sole legally recognised parent travelling with child - no issues surely!

Thai adoption is recognised legally in Western countries, that's not really an issue. The problem is, as a couple of members have already said, it is extremely difficult. I'm married to a Thai and she has 2 kids from a previous marriage. I looked into adopting them seriously with a lawyer, even though we have been married, I work here and her ex was willing it would have taken a large amount of effort, money and time.

For someone not married I guess it would be a real struggle.

Craighj