Not paying monthly service charge?

We live on an housing estate and did have a good management committee. In typical Thainess they were forced out by another group of self interested bullies who had their hands in the till as soon as they got access to the funds. Most people are sick of the fighting and backstabbing over the past couple of years, legal action is not an option any longer.

What could the committee do about people who refuse to pay the monthly service charge? As I understand it they can get an attachment made at the land office where by the unpaid monies have to be paid- when or if the house is sold (not much chance of that) What other action can they take, could they stop weekly rubbish collections? that's about the only thing we get now anyway.

It happens everywhere in every moo baan eventually, the thais stop paying, then the gate security goes, then the community swimmimg pool and amenieties. Then after a while, there is no money to clean the streets, weeding etc.. Then presto, you have a typical thai style (messy) village.

Our water came from a well, and also from city water, but the thais wouldn't even pay 600 measly baht per household to replace the pump, and drill deeper. So then we had to go onto city water full time, which cost everyone 4,100 baht to be connected (or no water), and the city water is twice as expensive...hahaha. where do thais get their thought processes from? pay 600, and get cheap water, or pay 4100 and get costlier water?

We have a lovely clubhouse with gym, and double swimming pool that now has a foot of skanky brown water in it, which has now closed. The developers have signed the village over to someone (maybe the city) and everywhere is clean and tidy again, and there is work going on in the clubhouse, things could be looking up....now waiting for a bill to drop in the the letterbox. I will pay pay, but will the thais, doubt that very much.

we pay electric and water direct. The BIL village has no lights as nobody pays, nobody trusts anyone even when there is nothing corrupt and they are getting what they asked for. We know a singer who is the leader of his housing committee, only 20 houses and very expensive. The charge is 10k a month but they are all rich. Even there one will not pay and so he instructed the gate man not to open the barrier- bloke goes home gets a gun and shot the security guard. Sometimes, well quite often these people make me wonder if there is any hope for them. We should have bought a better house, sansiri or land and houses, still she knows best whistling.gif

Edited by jacky54

My Moo-ban in Bang Saray used to have a problem collecting Maintenance fees. 62 houses mainly farang owned. We now operate a discount scheme: pay a year's fees up front & get 1000+ discount. Last year 60 houses qualified. Only 1 non-payer (Thai). The Committee is mainly farang (4) + 1 or 2 Thais.

Anyone looking to buy a house should check out the estate's finances. We have 1.5 million on deposit. Most owners pay 17,000 a year. We have 5 full time security guards on duty 24/7. Garbage is collected 3 times a week; a part-time office manager who will arrange tradesmen/services etc. The communal pool is serviced 3 times a week. Communal gardens done twice a month. Accounts published every MONTH.

A good Committee is worth thousands a year.

Most have the discount scheme, here it's 100% Thai owned 700 houses split into 2 sections single and twin. Singles are 400 and that committee is run by a 'big' Policeman. They do not even supply monthly accounts, nobody has the balls to challenge it for obvious reasons. Out committee sent the accounts round every month, that's when the fighting started arguing over every baht spent, manager left got tired of it. Lots of cheaper projects have failed committees from what I have seen. Seems like a microcosm of the country as a whole, dysfunctional and corrupt. Last condo we were in had 4 professional management teams in in 5 years, you are lucky if you get a good set up.

That's just what I told my mrs 4 years ago before we bought, but you know what it's like if you are married, they all want a new house. Buying new is a gamble with the neighbors and this committee nonsense. Luckily we do not have a 'shop' or factory or crappy restaurant opened up in a house next door. One got turned into a kennels! others are used for storage, metal works and the usual beauty salons. At least we have no pool to become disused.

Edited by jacky54

Some years ago i rented a house on a moo baan in bkk, service charge was 400bht per month, after 6 months there was a letter in the box informing the charge would rise to 600bht, Couple of the residents came to my door and asked if they could put a for sale sign on the house, i explained that i rented the house and was not aware the owner wanted to sell, they told it does not mean the house is for sale, we all have a for sale sign now, they also asked me to stop paying the monthly service charge,

Took me a while to work out what was happening, seems the guy and his son who were running the committee were also the developers and were building around 20 very large expencive houses further down the moo baan, they were also refusing to show any accounts or be in any way transparent, as there was only one entry and exit the residents plan was that anyone coming to view a house would have to drive past 60 or so houses for sale and would begin to question if this was the start of a failed moo baan, residents then came to my house and explained in detail where the refuse collection could be paid without going through the 2 man committee and still avoid the service charge,

Next was a letter from the 2 man committee explaining the charge would be increased to 750bht and also barriers installed requiring a key card at the cost of 250bht per card,barriers were installed but broken off the first evening..likewise each time they were repaired, as far as i know not one resident was paying the charge or in possession of a key card, there was security but they were powerless and mostly asleep anyway, i moved house not long after,

I went for a look see a while ago , everything seemed in order including 2 security guys but no barriers, the large houses at the end were just left unfinished.

I enjoyed reading that, crafty with the for sale signs. We just had a big open air meeting today, the new leader of the committee threatened the last one by saying she had plenty of guns in her house if he did not shut up. The last committee paid the manager 15k a month, now the new one wants to claim her wages back off her as they never agreed with the post. She has disappeared for a few days.These people are nuts!

I enjoyed reading that, crafty with the for sale signs. We just had a big open air meeting today, the new leader of the committee threatened the last one by saying she had plenty of guns in her house if he did not shut up. The last committee paid the manager 15k a month, now the new one wants to claim her wages back off her as they never agreed with the post. She has disappeared for a few days.These people are nuts!

As i understand, there is no possible legal way to force people to pay a monthly service charge, main thing is that residents should pay their rubbish collection fees ans so at the amphur but there is no law requiring a resident to pay any kind of service charge.

Why do you guys buy on those estates with strings...?

Daft in my opinion......facepalm.gif .

Buying in thailand is daft in my opinion..rents are so cheap.

It is an ancient Asian belief, when you have a Thai wife and kids with her. The belief follows the life of birds. Go figure.

Depends how much the house cost against how much rent you would be paying. I would not have bought if not married and we paid for it together. Ladies like to have a bit of security, that's understandable. Our 3 bed semi was only 1.69 mil anyway, about 14 years rent that we were paying. Trouble is you get stuck with them as hard to sell, where as if renting you can move when you want.

Edited by jacky54

It is an ancient Asian belief, when you have a Thai wife and kids with her. The belief follows the life of birds. Go figure.

hmm did,nt buy one of those either,

That's why I have said - buy properties from the secondary market. There would then be no surprises as to the nature of the community that you get.

An existing village (or condo building) that seems good today and has been good for years can easily turn into a giant turd if the wrong people take charge, or if something untoward happens nearby.

There are no guarantees here, and very little rule of law, and this is the main problem.

That's why I have said - buy properties from the secondary market. There would then be no surprises as to the nature of the community that you get.

An existing village (or condo building) that seems good today and has been good for years can easily turn into a giant turd if the wrong people take charge, or if something untoward happens nearby.

There are no guarantees here, and very little rule of law, and this is the main problem.

Have not met such a problem for my condos and home in 3 projects since 1994, probably because I was active in AGMs and serving as a committee member in one project.

I like to move house every few years, where i am now has no committee, no service charge, no security, no traffic, no crime as far as i know apart from the old lady who comes and takes glass and plastic out my bin and steals the tam lueng off the entrance gate without askinggigglem.gif

When looking for a house here i have a few requisites, low rent, quiet, no service charge, and above all before signing a contract i do a recy a few days and nights to check its not infested with thanon ling.

Edited by tingtongfarang