PM urges teachers to preach morality and discipline to help enhance Thai competitiveness

rooster59

PM urges teachers to preach morality and discipline to help enhance Thai competitiveness

BANGKOK, 16 January 2016 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged teachers to educate students on topics of morality and discipline which could help enhance the country’s competitiveness while the government will look to solve the teachers' debt-related problems.

The premier presided over the opening ceremony for the annual Teacher’s Day event at the Teachers' Council of Thailand auditorium in honor of the pedagogical profession.

The premier placed a bouquet to worship teachers and expressed his gratitude for them during his previous days as a student and granted awards to 26 outstanding teachers who had made contributions to Thailand’s education.

He expressed congratulations to those award-winning teachers and suggested that they teach their students to respect democratic rule and discipline, adopt a habit of reading, enhance their capabilities which could lead to an enhanced competitiveness of the country. He said the future of the country will depend on the students under supervision of the teachers.

He called on the debt-ridden teachers to initially help themselves by making a household spending statement and cut unnecessary expenditure while the government will look to assist in other areas.

The PM added that many people cannot enter the education system, thus the Office of the Non-Formal and Informal Education should find ways and means to provide opportunity for them to have access to education.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-16 footer_n.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He called on the debt-ridden teachers to initially help themselves by making a household spending statement and cut unnecessary expenditure while the government will look to assist in other areas.

Does this mean Thais or a farangs included?

I know a couple of farang teachers on the basic salary that have debt.

Don't worry! I know the answer.

Edited by petedk

Same the whole world over.....under-value and under-pay the teachers, but expect them to put all society's ill to rights. The whole of society needs to step up to the mark and take responsibility for the fruits of their loins, but that will never happen, not here, not anywhere.

Teachers already do this, there are lessons dedicated to morality, so where does it all go wrong?

Yes but it doesn't resonate with students when they can see that so much outside the classroom is pretty much dog-eat-dog ( and top down at that)

Right.

Coming from the waterhead who said this:

"In promoting a new education policy, Prayuth said, “Teachers assign difficult homework to students."

"The other day, I had a look at homework of a por neung student (first-year elementary school). I must say that I didn’t even know how to do it. Homework is too difficult for students.” cheesy.gif

And this:

“If we have a government, if we have an interim constitution, if we have a cabinet, we have democracy.”

What a simpleton...facepalm.gif

Edited by iReason

Will this include the teachers who pay tea money to get their jobs, who happily solicit and accept ' considerations ' to improve students' grades etc and who resist all changes to education as it's likely to affect their own little kingdoms ?

Teachers already do this, there are lessons dedicated to morality, so where does it all go wrong?

I think the way to gain competitiveness (etc) is to teach properly. For a start introduce creative teachin and end learning by rote. Get the pupils to question the teacher and not accept what is inevitably the wrong answer or information. Totally turn the school system on it's head. Learn from advanced educational systems such as those in England or in the USA. A lot more could be done.

in the US we're different but not much. I mean, this morning no one even pauses a microsecond when Ryan makes a perfect description of Saudi Arabia while blabbing about Iran? how is our nonsense any better? Bangkok or Washington???

Try getting a male Thai teacher to wear a Tie and gain respect from his students not by preaching but by showing thru leadership and professionalism. I was always the best dressed man at the schools I taught at, I led by example, not by preaching. At the end of every class my students would say "Thank you Alex."

I probably got more respect from dressing well, than most school directors.

Who needs Wai Kruu???

Is Buddhism now dead in Thailand?

With the nation being 95% Buddhist I'd think that Buddhism goes hand-in-hand with teaching morality and discipline.

In Pratimoksha Sutra, Buddha says that it would be better for us to die than to break our moral discipline.

Breaking one's moral discipline destroys one's opportunity to experience happiness in rebirth and condemns one to experience the sufferings of lower rebirths over and over again.

Maybe instead Prayut should be demanding the Supreme Buddhist Patriarch of Thailand be more effective in reaching out to Thais.

"suggested that they teach their students to respect democratic rule"

What is the saying - one learns from example?

Prayut has shown students that if something doesn't go your way - lie, bully and fight it until you get your own way. Prayut needs to examine his own morality and discipline before demanding more from Thai youth.

"suggested that they teach their students to respect democratic rule"

What is the saying - one learns from example?

Prayut has shown students that if something doesn't go your way - lie, bully and fight it until you get your own way. Prayut needs to examine his own morality and discipline before demanding more from Thai youth.

He can't even spell the word. 'H.y.p.o.c.r.i.s.y' yes.