Tokays - How to get rid of them

TheCruncher

Tokays are my best friends. There are a few living around the house, but I also have two inside. One normal sized one lives behind the wardrobe in my daughter's room and a pretty large one lives in my bedroom, alternating between the behind the wardrobe and behind the curtain. Never any mosquitos in either room. Awesome creatures, albeit noisy at times.

Do you take them for a walk every day, or do you just let them poo behind the closet ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, they are in big demand in China, and as such, getting shipped from here to there to the extent where there is not so many around anymore in some places.....they are used as an aphrodisiac.....and as such get big money....

A nation of 1.5 billion people is hardly in need of any aphrodisiacs.

Lol so funny... that's the first time today that I've laughed. Good on ya!

Tokays are my best friends. There are a few living around the house, but I also have two inside. One normal sized one lives behind the wardrobe in my daughter's room and a pretty large one lives in my bedroom, alternating between the behind the wardrobe and behind the curtain. Never any mosquitos in either room. Awesome creatures, albeit noisy at times.

Do you take them for a walk every day, or do you just let them poo behind the closet ?

They are potty trained. Only occasionally I find a little mistake, which gets cleaned up. A fresh one is a bit wet and sticky, so I first let it dry for a day or so.

I guess most animals are well behaved here in Thailand. Like our two dogs, haven't pooped inside the house or compound since they arrived as 8-week old puppies. Actually I've never seen them poop at all. They are 3.5yrs now.

They are potty trained. Only occasionally I find a little mistake, which gets cleaned up. A fresh one is a bit wet and sticky, so I first let it dry for a day or so.

I guess most animals are well behaved here in Thailand. Like our two dogs, haven't pooped inside the house or compound since they arrived as 8-week old puppies. Actually I've never seen them poop at all. They are 3.5yrs now.

You never seen them pop in 3.5 years w00t.gif I think one day you'll be in for a big surprise.

You never seen them pop in 3.5 years w00t.gif I think one day you'll be in for a big surprise.

Well I guess they use the empty plot of land next door. I hope so at least...

Its very simple , seal up every way in for them

Virtually impossible to seal every hole, the shed is made out of Shera planks, and they need only a small gap to get in and out.

Sell your home or rent to nice people that like Tokays and you move out or go abroad.

Finally the " if you don't like it go home " brigade has arrived.

I'd much rather have a family of tokays than a single centipede or those little tan scorpions. Unfortunately we have a family of cats move in and they have killed off most of the tokays. A few days ago I saw a huge centipede. That's the first one I have seen since the cats came and killed my lizards. Get a cat if you want to get rid of your beneficial lizards.

I'm allergic to cats.

You don't have to sleep with the cats. You also don't have to allow them to go in the house.

I have 2 at my house,, and i think they look pretty cool,, they are nice in color and a fair size on them,, when people come around for a few beers,, and they show their faces,, guest are pleased to see them,,, PS,, Any one know of a good spray which will work on some of the Wife's family members? biggrin.png

In fact, they are in big demand in China, and as such, getting shipped from here to there to the extent where there is not so many around anymore in some places.....they are used as an aphrodisiac.....and as such get big money....

...as usual...

want to be totally sure ??get rid of the shed cheesy.gif

I have a couple in the apartment and encourage them to stay. No ants or bugs they clean em up. Natures pest control. We always seem to be pushing out nature to make room for a superior species well in our eyes I guess.

there's cans of insecticide that can be bought from the local village store.....kills basically any insect/small animal etc(need to be careful of the fumes). A liberal spraying into their area of sojourn will usually get rid of them

Is that a lizard in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

I have dozens of them. Had them for 16 years, and they were there before I arrived. They used to live in my open garage, and would sleep in a brick encased soil downpipe. Never shat on my car.

last year I turned the garage into a new room, and put in a plaster ceiling, with access to the encased downpipe. I left a small opening from above the ceiling to the open.

Now they come and go as they please. A few new baby tokays have just appeared.

Never any mess. They are welcome to stay. Family! smile.png

Cimon guys/gals/in-betweens - I'm not the only one that counts how many times the Tokay lizard calls out and counts them for lottery tickets am I ?? I hasn't worked yet but does provide some entertainment on slow nights.

A nation of 1.5 billion people is hardly in need of any aphrodisiacs.

Lol so funny... that's the first time today that I've laughed. Good on ya!

Its because of the Tokay aphrodisiac qualities that there are 1.5 billion people in China.

They are worth a bit of money had a friend that sold one for 80,000 baht and the bigger they are higher the price naturally sad thing is they will be killed for some parts of it's body.

Can you put me in touch with your friend or the person he sold it to please? At 80,000 baht all my problems will be solved.

Mothballs certainly work. Buy them at Macro and just pucture the bag. Also the ghecko spray above does work but you need to keep spraying. I sprayed it on cotton balls or similiar and placed it in places they hide...gone pretty much

Mothballs certainly work. Buy them at Macro and just pucture the bag. Also the ghecko spray above does work but you need to keep spraying. I sprayed it on cotton balls or similiar and placed it in places they hide...gone pretty much

Mothballs sure don't work, see post 11, tried them in fact strew them all over the place but they just increased in number.

Don't be confused, we are not talking about those small Jing Jocks that are climbing the walls inside the house.

It doesn't matter what your building is made of, unless it's got gaping holes/vents....there's no reason you can't seal it up. If you don't seal it, you can remove the existing lizards but new ones will replace them.

Our home is gecko free......but it required quite a bit of tape/foam/etc to keep them out. I've learned how to catch the few that sneak in with my hands.

As for the larger lizards outdoors, we have a cat.....and every few days, we wake up to find the remnants of the tokay on our porch. The cat won't eat the head, but dispenses with the rest.

One idea for your shed......get some of those circular rat glue traps. In the center, place a very small jar (like the ones you see in Thai gift sets.....bird nest liquid). Get a few crickets at your local market or from your yard.....pull a few of the legs off of one and place it in the jar. Place the glue trap on the floor of your shed.

Assuming you catch a tokay, you can dispose of the lizard in the trash (it will still be alive)......or if you want to release it, take it away from your home and spray very small amounts of WD-40 near the bottom of its feet. It will be able to run away. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat........unless you seal up those holes.

Why do you have to spray WD-40 on its feet?

So they won't squeak when they walk.

I catch them and relocate them some distance away... that is the new arrivals who are naive!

One that has perhaps bettered me a few times soon wises up and makes it difficult, you can only then deter them.

Block their hidey holes off with foam/sponge and generally disturb them and, in time, they go elsewhere.

I have one sitting in the basket outside awaiting relocation as I type.

Mothballs didn't seem to do much, I nearly moved on!

Edited by jacko45k

They are worth a bit of money had a friend that sold one for 80,000 baht and the bigger they are higher the price naturally sad thing is they will be killed for some parts of it's body.

Glad to see from this thread that the tokay gecko appears to be thriving in Thailand. Conservationists are worried that the enormous trade in tokays to China (especially from Indonesia) was threatening them. This has been discussed before on TVisa as well as the big amounts of money said to be paid for extra large specimens. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633067-asian-gecko-threatened-by-medicine-trade/page-2

Glad to see from this thread that the tokay gecko appears to be thriving in Thailand. Conservationists are worried that the enormous trade in tokays to China (especially from Indonesia) was threatening them. This has been discussed before on TVisa as well as the big amounts of money said to be paid for extra large specimens. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633067-asian-gecko-threatened-by-medicine-trade/page-2

It's really quite sick and disgusting to constantly hear about all the exotic animal species that are at risk because of their superstious use in Chinese "tradional" medicine and cuisine. I'm always distressed when I read about intercepted pangolin shipments to China or the harvesting of bear bile at bear farms!

A friend of mine had a couple of them I his house, and when they called out "Tokay" every evening he used to shout "<deleted> Off" to them (he was usually drunk by then!!). After a few months of this the tokays were perfectly parroting his "call", and it even spread to other tokays in the area... The early evenings were abuzz with "<deleted> Off"'s all around...