Man blames rain for smashing van into electric pole on way to pick up tourists

webfact

Man blames rain for smashing van into electric pole on way to pick up tourists, insurance to cover damage
Eakkapop Thongtub

1453020680_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Police said they will not press charges against a man who smashed a van into an electric pole this afternoon on the north of the island, because the damages "do not justify it".

The driver, 36-year-old Suriya Yukhunthorn, gave report that he was on his way to the airport to pick up tourists when he lost control of the van due to "the road being wet."

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-blames-rain-for-smashing-van-into-electric-pole-on-way-to-pick-up-tourists-insurance-to-cover-damage-55819.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-18

He is right. What he lacks is the training, or at least some advice on how to deal with such conditions.

Empty van on a wet road. I would estimate three times the braking distance of a normal car, probably s bit more than that with nothing in the back.

Bet nobody has talked to him about cadence braking or just basic stuff like turning into the skid.

When he started to slide he probably just tried to brake a bit harder!

He is right. What he lacks is the training, or at least some advice on how to deal with such conditions.

Empty van on a wet road. I would estimate three times the braking distance of a normal car, probably s bit more than that with nothing in the back.

Bet nobody has talked to him about cadence braking or just basic stuff like turning into the skid.

When he started to slide he probably just tried to brake a bit harder!

Exactly correct - lack of driving skills is to blame ..

If there were any logic to his flimsy excuse every car, truck and motorcycle on the road would be in an accident.

Come on - when a train company in UK can explain delays by saying there was bright sunshine, anything is an acceptable excuse.

Why should the police press charges ?
They are not a damaged party.
They could fine the driver for reckless driving.

If someone can press charges, it is the electricity company or whoever owns the pole that was damaged.

Col Teeraphol also called on the public to help police bring “road manics” to justice.

“All public transportation drivers must respect road rules and have exceptional driving experience. They must be responsible for their own life, the lives of their passengers, other drivers and pedestrians.

“Police have only ‘small voice’ to stop these road maniacs, but local people can help by reporting such driving behaviour. They can take pictures and send them to the police.

If everyone helps, we will be able to get rid of thugs from Phuket’s roads.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officer-killed-by-drunk-van-driver-proposed-for-posthumous-promotion-54904.php

OK guys, get off yer bums and start reporting.

Try to limit yourselves to 10 reports per hour by taking a coffee break.

These guys would do really well driving in snow. I guess he got his driving licence in the arcade at Big C.

Interesting point: just imagine if Thailand suffered snowy winters and icy roads, it would be like a free-for-all on a blood-red skating rink.

After a long period without rain, the road does become a little more slick once we get a bit of the wet stuff.

Calling the driver stupid and a bad driver,,,,,,,,,not sure if it's 100% warranted but you keyboard warriors have at it.thumbsup.gif

A few years ago in Moscow the local government did not have equipment ready to clean the streets because some snowfall in November / December was not expected.

This I mention, to demonstrate that it is fully understandable that an experienced driver of a public transport vehicle skids of the road since he did not expect it to rain.

No training, no skill and no thought of driving with the prevailing conditions in mind.

On one occasion driving north n Highway 2 the heavens opened and the wipers on double speed were of no value so I pulled off the road at the first gas station and had a coffee until the rain eased. I have to say that despite the atrocious weather and very limited visibility I was being over and under taken by vehicles travelling at speed with no regard to the conditions.

Once back on the road and over the next 30 kms or so there were about 6 crash scenes all in the outside lane and involving multiple vehicles.

No training, no skill and no thought of driving with the prevailing conditions in mind.

On one occasion driving north n Highway 2 the heavens opened and the wipers on double speed were of no value so I pulled off the road at the first gas station and had a coffee until the rain eased. I have to say that despite the atrocious weather and very limited visibility I was being over and under taken by vehicles travelling at speed with no regard to the conditions.

Once back on the road and over the next 30 kms or so there were about 6 crash scenes all in the outside lane and involving multiple vehicles.

I didn't want to be the one to say this but.....

The UK News on TV, every time there is fog, heavy rain, ice etc........

Same on Spanish TV......(You know the rest!)

and, and, and....

Oh, it happens here too.

Strange that!

I've had many of the same experiences over the many years driving up north from Phuket. Like you I just stop somewhere and let the crazies drive by. Set off again when the rain stops.

It woz the rain wot done it.

So, police won't press charges, he can continue losing control of vehicles and lucky foreigners won't be short of a driver.

A triple whammy of win, win, win!

Maybe he promised to do it properly next time.......

The van must be completely different feel to drive when it is not overloaded.....