Kaspersky Antivirus

youngkiwi

After battling some nasty computers viruses on a few of our computers, I have lost my faith in Norton Antivirus as an effective anti virus solution. It appears that Norton is now playing on its name, rather than investing in effective functionality.

While Norton Antivirus scanned our machines and reported no viruses were found, a scan with Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/'>http://www.kaspersky.com/) revealed some nasty trojans which Norton did not detect. Kaspersky is quite an innovative company, headquartered in Russia and have made ground-breaking progress in the anti virus arena over the past few years.

I am very impressed with their virus detection results, as well as their lab releasing updates to virus definitions every hour. Norton only provides new virus definitions every week which is far too slow considering the pace that new viruses are now being distributed.

From my research, Kaspersky has also been rated very highly in various reviews which also confirm Kaspersky provides the fastest response to new virus strains out of any AV product. Another nifty feature is the web traffic filtering feature, which actually filters your web traffic before the content reaches your browser. This does slow down your web traffic but not considerably, and it is well worth the added protection. Additionally, I was able to block specific ports and filter these through Kaspersky.

Kaspersky knocks the head off Norton and the likes of AVG, a popular free antivirus product which both has a cumbersome and chunky interface, has a slow scan speed and consumes more CPU usage than most other AV solutions.

In a recent Brazilian magazine, a study was conducted where a computer was infected with 100 kinds of viruses. AVG only detected 42 of the viruses, while Kaspersky detected all 100 viruses - a very impressive result.

Although Kaspersky should not be construed as a full anti-spyware replacement, it detects most trojans and spyware, and running it alongside Spybot would provide an excellent level of protection.

As well as Norton, I have also wiped Lavasoft Adaware off my books despite owing a professional licence version. Adaware's slow scanning of files, high memory consumption and frequent program freezes make the application troublesome and unreliable, certainly so in heavy multi-tasking environments.

Coming in at $59.95 USD for a single PC one year licence, Kaspersky is certainly not the cheapest product, but for the meantime, looks to provide the most effective desktop antivirus solution available for Windows. You can download a 30 day evaluation version from (http://www.kaspersky.com)

Check out this glowing review also from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kaspersky_Anti_Vir...7-32004282.html

I used Norton and Zone Alarm Pro and thought they were the best. After that, they decided to be all things to all people and both became so bloated that they became more problems than they were worth. I am now using Bit Defender and have had no problems. It's comforting to see it update every hour. I also use Spy Sweeper and the Comodo firewall which is free.

Kaspersky AV. I tried it once myself and was very happy wbout it until trial period had expired.

If I decided to pay for it then I would have spent about $600 by now. Instead I used free Avast that kept three of my computers just as clean.

>>>>>>>>>>

If your free AV software cannot clean some particularly malicious virus, you can alsways download removal tools from major companies like Norton and McAfee. They give them out free of charge.

Yes, Bitdefender is also a very good product however is not as proactive in releasing new virus definitions as Kaspersky. Eventhough BitDefender claim to release updates every hour, they sometimes release updates with no new virus definitions included. I think this is very misleading. I have thoroughly evaluated both products and Kaspersky have a very proactive team of virus experts in Russia which provide 24 hour evaluation of new strains and include these in definitions as soon as possible.

No, Kaspersky is not a free product but it is the best and has been rated by multiple sources as detecting more strains/viruses than any other product. A close contender is BitDefender however I do think the interface is slightly clunky, and again have concerns regarding the way they release new definitions. Kaspersky also have a very strong following of users who contribute on their forums and this is most helpful.

I have been a strong supporter of Norton Antivirus for many years, having used in on my own personal computers, office computers and recommending it to others, but have come to the conclusion that the product is now lacking. New viruses are being spread at lighting speeds so if you want the very best protection, it's a matter of having to pay for it.

AVG is a good free product, but again you get what you pay for. In consumer tests, it failed to detect as many viruses as Kaspersky and has a rather cumbersome interface, has high CPU utilisation and quite simply is no comparision to Kaspersky - point blank. For example, it AVG does not scan web traffic which is now a very important feature in my view and the small investment in cost is certainly worth it to protect computers with critical data.

We also run a RAID 5 array for redundancy but this does not exclude the necessity to have adequate virus protection.

The bottom line is that most of us are not techies. We want to have a program that protects our computers and we want updates and protection without having to tweak anything. I used Avast and AVG without any problems in the past, BUT I had one virus that got past Avast and it was later cleaned up without any damage but it bothered me enough to buy Bit Defender. I too studied the reviews and bought Bit Defender because it was cheaper and was rated at the top of the reviews. I actually would have kept Norton but was not happy because of the price for renewal. I used to get two year renewals for about $20 but Norton got greedy.

When it comes to malware, I'm of the belief one needs to be pro-active, not reactive.

A firewall is pro-active, an antivirus is reactive! As the old saying goes..."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

A simple, inexpensive (or free) 2-way firewall is 100 times better than the most costly antivirus/spyware detector. Even a properly configured 1-way "hardware" firewall (such as found in most routers) will block most uninvited malware entering, but not exiting.

Yes, should one become infected, you'll most likely need some type of malware detector to locate/remove the offending party. One of the free online system scans by Kaspersky, Symantec, TrendMicro, McAfee and others, should be able to handle that chore nicely. Its also more likely those online scanners are "current", than is any personal antivirus/spyware detector.

My 2¢ ........and a little food for thought.

waldwolf

Try this, you never know what your current antivirus might have missed?

FREE ONLINE SCAN

Kaspersky AV. I tried it once myself and was very happy wbout it until trial period had expired.

If I decided to pay for it then I would have spent about $600 by now. Instead I used free Avast that kept three of my computers just as clean.

>>>>>>>>>>

If your free AV software cannot clean some particularly malicious virus, you can alsways download removal tools from major companies like Norton and McAfee. They give them out free of charge.

just tried the trial version of kaspersky.Before had the free version of AVG and also used Windows defender.

kaspersky found 3 viruses and 2 adware that previously went undetected.Has also doubled the speed of the computer. :o

Think I will buy the Licence when it comes off trial. :D

just tried the trial version of kaspersky.Before had the free version of AVG and also used Windows defender.

kaspersky found 3 viruses and 2 adware that previously went undetected.Has also doubled the speed of the computer. :o

think i'll give kaspersky a trial go. have been happy with my AVG though.

What do you think of Mcafee ? I run Mcafee security suite and i very pleased with it. It's better than Norton i think.

The only downside of Mcafee is that it runs many services. If you open the task manager you can see at least 7 services, pushing up your pagefile use. Mcafee alone is responsible for at least 60 mb pagefile use.

How is this with Kaspersky ? If it uses less services and less page file use, i might switch over.

For anyone who want to try something else: try trendmicro housecall.

think i'll give kaspersky a trial go. have been happy with my AVG though.

Warning:I bought the Kaspersky. That was a very,very big mistake. The licence version slow down the computer, like walk in mud. It took me 3 ¨hour to clean it out. I went back to my F-secure. never let me down. It´s really good.

I've been using a 99baht version (naughty, naughty) of Kaspersky for a couple of months now and found it to be great!

Used Norton and McAfee in the but what a strain on the PC. My PC still flies with Kaspersky running.

I had just finished a trial version of Trend and was looking around before buying a licence so I decided to buy one of the compilation CD's to see what was about. I had never heard of Kaspersky before so I gave it a go. Immediately it found lots of crap that was happily sitting (running) on my PC.

If they catch on to the hookey version I've got then I'll buy the licence for it (heck, I might anyway).

Ok bkkmick. I have talked to many professionals computer users. They all say same thing as I did. Kasparskys slow down the cp very much if you don+t have av very fast cp. My cp is only 800 mhz so it can be the reason.

I still use F-secure. I have had it for many year and no problemes, Fast and safe. Good luck with your kasparsky.

Ok bkkmick. I have talked to many professionals computer users. They all say same thing as I did. Kasparskys slow down the cp very much if you don+t have av very fast cp. My cp is only 800 mhz so it can be the reason.

I still use F-secure. I have had it for many year and no problemes, Fast and safe. Good luck with your kasparsky.

In your case have a look at Avast. http://www.avast.com/. The home edition is free.

Petch01

hi'

using BitDefender 10 and will never look back :o

beside BitDefender and Kaperski have built together another antivirus with 2 engines .. might be slow, but it's said to be the most efficient one on the market .. forgot the name, sorry :D

the 2 leaders in antivirus solution are kaperski and bitdefender, others run behind and for some just count on their name ... and are still expensive!

francois

I have been using Norton for years but I recently got a nasty trojan that hijacked my email and was sending out 100 of spam's. The only way i caught it was that a Norton email scanner was popping up continuously scanning outgoing messages. I installed AVG and it found several trojans Norton missed but until I used Hijack This to manually remove the installer file I was at the point of formatting C:

Later I found my windows firewall to be turned off, which I am sure is hot I became infected in the first place. I might give kaspersky a try.

i am intrigue ! i just find a disc with Kaspersky_Anti-Virus_Personal_v5.0.142 , i am doing a update on the antivirus and will run a full scan !

i will post what it find !

i have zone alarm / AVG antivirus / spyware terminator !

Edited by simcity