Vietnam Dong to USD in Saigon Airport

Wallander4

Hi Guys,

Anybody tried to change VND to USD in airport when leaving Vietnam ? Is it only at International Departure at SGN and what are the fee ?

I have heard earlier that there´s Exchange Booths before check-in with an expensive fee and 2 Exchange Booths after you have checked in going to the gate where the fee is minimal and the rates are "normal".

Appreciate any help, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

About 7 years ago I was actually asked to show the contents of my wallet at the immigration desk. They said I had too much dong leaving the country. So I just went back onto the outside street and changed for dollars in a currency booth and re-entered. No problem. I think the exchange rate was pretty fair (for an airport).

About 7 years ago I was actually asked to show the contents of my wallet at the immigration desk. They said I had too much dong leaving the country. So I just went back onto the outside street and changed for dollars in a currency booth and re-entered. No problem. I think the exchange rate was pretty fair (for an airport).

You can now take out as many Dong as you want. Strange that you were even asked; I have been going to Vietnam since 2003 (back in those days only by air - by land only since 2010) and have never been asked for the contents of my wallet.

However, since Dong are not that easy to convert in other countries (though granted more and more banks and money changers will exchange them especially here in Thailand) you'll probably end up getting a better exchange rate by converting them back to a major currency before you leave.

The best exchange rates can be found in the city, so better exchange them at a money changer before heading to the airport. Otherwise, all the money changers inside the terminal (either on the arrivals or departures level) will sell you major currencies such as USD, EUR, CHF, AUD, JPY, SGD and THB at decent rates.