Police Road Checks

SoloFlyer

Since I got hit up yesterday for not wearing a helmet, I thought it might be worth starting a thread where we can let each other know where and when the police are out and about.

(I have no problem wearing a helmet if it was fully enforced all the time, but when its random, and your just runnign down the market, unless it becomes habitual, its easy to forget. Wearing a seatbelt became automatic until moving here...)

Yesterday: Outside the gates of Wat Suan Dok, both sides, six or so cops on each side. Werent taking cash, just licences and giving tickets.

> I have no problem wearing a helmet if it was fully enforced all the time

So... the enduring integrity of your skull and its contents depend on the consistency of police enforcement for you?

That IS pretty special! :o

Edited by chanchao

As I say to all my friends who ride motobikes.

"Please be so kind as to wear your helmet, as I don't want to be called out to scrape your brains off the highway."

Seems to get the message across to most people! :o

PS The fact of what can happen to your head when it hits the ground at speed should be enough to make you wear one without it having to be enforced!

Since I got hit up yesterday for not wearing a helmet, I thought it might be worth starting a thread where we can let each other know where and when the police are out and about.

(I have no problem wearing a helmet if it was fully enforced all the time, but when its random, and your just runnign down the market, unless it becomes habitual, its easy to forget. Wearing a seatbelt became automatic until moving here...)

Yesterday: Outside the gates of Wat Suan Dok, both sides, six or so cops on each side. Werent taking cash, just licences and giving tickets.

They are doing you a huge favor... Wear your helmet!!!!! Do you really want to have brain surgery preformed in Thailand? Really???????

Wear your helmet at all times when on your motorcycle you fool. And spend as much money as you can afford on a good quality helmet. If I were to swing a baseball bat against your unprotected head at 30 kph do you think it will hurt? If I did it at 60 kph I think your eyes might pop out of your head.

In my previous life I have scraped human brains off the road. Not a pleasant experience.

All the above posts are very valid.

The more Police checks the better.

Wear or don't wear your helmet, but as far as the police checkpoints go, the are always moving around, so notification would not be very efective, in my opinion. And as a result, you never know when you're going to be stopped, so, at least in town, it's best to have a helmet with you.

The decision/choice to wear a m/cycle helemt is akin to deciding whether to wear a condom. Some people do and some dont. Let them suffer the consequences of selective policing or worse.

Deciding to wear a helmet is easy as my brains cost far more than any $500 designer helmet.

They are doing you a huge favor... Wear your helmet!!!!! Do you really want to have brain surgery preformed in Thailand? Really???????

I think not.....Those who have had corrective brain surgery here in Thailand and have had complications with the surgery now are starring in their own theater down behind the Novotel on Chotana Something to do with Dreams..... Wear your helmet whatever the quality...Even the bad ones are somewhat able to keep your brains in one puddle/plopp

> The decision/choice to wear a m/cycle helemt is akin to deciding whether to wear a

> condom. Some people do and some dont. Let them suffer the consequences of selective

> policing or worse.

I've reported this to the analogy police. :o

Meanwhile, if you are even partly responsible for hitting a motorbike, and the driver doesn't wear a helmet and as a result requires more prolonged and expensive medical treatment, guess who will be paying for that dude's decision to save 500 baht on a helmet??

Hi, Any advice on what in Thailand is a 'good quality helmet', and where in CMai can I buy one and at what price. Regards

I don't know where to get them in CM but Shoei helmets (a Japanese brand i guess) are among the best, if not the best.

I remember that there's a shop on Sripoom road.

As partly an aside, it seems to me that there is a generel tightening up on rules formerly enforced only on rare occasions -- if ever enforced.

Having lived in central Chiang Mai for about two years, making my sort of standard "drive-arounds", I used to see something like an "acting" policeman enforcing law about once a week. Nowadys I see that situation about three times a day on an average.

Better clean up your acts ... Law enforcements are in focus these days --- (wether it'll last is a different story).