Light rail for Phuket

chercheur888

He said the tram with a speed of 100 km/h will have 23 stations along its route. Planners were deciding whether there will be a special lane for the tram or if it will share lanes with other vehicles.

Hard to believe anyone could write this nonsense. Train would have to travel more than 100 km/h to keep up with the airport taxis and minibuses - absurd

Don't worry, it'll never happen.

Would be very interesting if the Mod's could pin a thread with the title " Projects announced/Projects finished"

With all the projects announced difficult to follow if any of them are in reality finished. No further info about the cinema museum, how is the dolphin place is doing etc,etc

He said the tram with a speed of 100 km/h will have 23 stations along its route. Planners were deciding whether there will be a special lane for the tram or if it will share lanes with other vehicles.

Hard to believe anyone could write this nonsense. Train would have to travel more than 100 km/h to keep up with the airport taxis and minibuses - absurd

The airport taxis and minibuses would be too busy blockading the train. biggrin.png

The train/tram would be going to Phuket Town. They would not dare piss off the taxies by taking tourists where they want to go.

Chalong is not where the tourists want to go - places like Patong, Karon, Kata, Kamala are where many tourists want to go. But don't worry .. the vultures (taxi mafia) will be waiting at the stations to fleece the tourists wanting to go to their hotel.

The train/tram would be going to Phuket Town. They would not dare piss off the taxies by taking tourists where they want to go.

Chalong is not where the tourists want to go - places like Patong, Karon, Kata, Kamala are where many tourists want to go. But don't worry .. the vultures (taxi mafia) will be waiting at the stations to fleece the tourists wanting to go to their hotel.

"Chalong is not where the tourists want to go" - exactly.

So, who would use it, therefore, pay it off, and keep it running?

The Phuket transport mafia controls the movement of passengers here, not the Government.

This is why it will never work.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yes, that's what I was implying. They would not build a line down the west coast taking tourists where they want to go. That would piss off the taxies. So there would be no need for the taxies to blockade the train if it goes through Phuket Town. If I were a tourist I would not bother taking the train to another station and then a taxi to the west coast either. I would just take a taxi directly from the airport. Again a win for the taxies.

As NKM says "The Phuket transport mafia controls the movement of passengers here, not the Government".

Yes, that's what I was implying. They would not build a line down the west coast taking tourists where they want to go. That would piss off the taxies. So there would be no need for the taxies to blockade the train if it goes through Phuket Town. If I were a tourist I would not bother taking the train to another station and then a taxi to the west coast either. I would just take a taxi directly from the airport. Again a win for the taxies.

As NKM says "The Phuket transport mafia controls the movement of passengers here, not the Government".

I'm not sure how well a train or tram would work on the rather mountainous terrain of the west coast. Probably why they thought to run it in the flat area of the island...

They actually had what I considered a fantastic idea, but, it was conveniently forgotten about.

A cable car running over the hills from Patong to the Big Buddha. It could have continued all the way to Nai Harn.

The views would have been phenomenal, it would have made money, been a tourist attraction and not a bad transport system with a few tuk-tuks, or buses at the stations.

They actually had what I considered a fantastic idea, but, it was conveniently forgotten about.

A cable car running over the hills from Patong to the Big Buddha. It could have continued all the way to Nai Harn.

The views would have been phenomenal, it would have made money, been a tourist attraction and not a bad transport system with a few tuk-tuks, or buses at the stations.

That would have done lot of good for tourism KB, and like you say, a ride on it would have been a tourist attraction in itself. Given the dismal state of all other transport on the island, it would have been popular, and paid for itself in no time, and then would have turn big profits. Imagine a sunset ride - bring your camera.

In my opinion, it will take a big capital works project, something like this cable car, to turn Phuket around.

That said, even implementing baht buses would go a long way to luring back the western market, but a cable car like this would be a show piece, and really would go a long way to pulling Phuket out of the hole.

However, we get back to the same old Phuket problem, the island is controlled by criminals, for criminals, and they are grinding Phuket into the ground, and letting it slip decades behind.

I'm surprise that they haven't done something like this, mainly because Hong Kong has precisely such a cable car up to its Big Buddha on Lantau Island and it's an extremely popular tourist attraction. We know how the Thai people in general like to copy others, and that's why I thought it's happen.

Of course negotiations would have to take place as to where the cable car would start from as this would have to be inaccessible enough for the tuktuks to be a necessary part of the experience.

Unless they build a light railway station there! And there we are, back on topic.

I'm surprise that they haven't done something like this, mainly because Hong Kong has precisely such a cable car up to its Big Buddha on Lantau Island and it's an extremely popular tourist attraction. We know how the Thai people in general like to copy others, and that's why I thought it's happen.

Of course negotiations would have to take place as to where the cable car would start from as this would have to be inaccessible enough for the tuktuks to be a necessary part of the experience.

Unless they build a light railway station there! And there we are, back on topic.

Singapore has a cable car. Less wealthy countries such as Vietnam and Malaysia have cable cars.

The transport mafia are holding Phuket back to no end, and destroying it's tourism industry along the way.

Sky train wold be the way to go. It won't take (needed) space from the roads. Much of it can be prefabricated on multiple locations. This will reduce risk of huge delays. And when did you hear about a traffic accident where any scooter or van was hit by a sky train? tongue.png

• 3 weeks later...

I recently found out about this.

http://saigoneer.com/vietnam-news/6279-fansipan-cable-car-opens,-earns-2-world-records

They are breaking world records for transport next door, meanwhile, Phuket is allowing the transport mafia to kill tourism here.

Sky train wold be the way to go. It won't take (needed) space from the roads. Much of it can be prefabricated on multiple locations. This will reduce risk of huge delays. And when did you hear about a traffic accident where any scooter or van was hit by a sky train? tongue.png

"And when did you hear about a traffic accident where any scooter or van was hit by a sky train?" - i haven't.

I also haven't heard about tuk-tuks and taxis blockading a sky train, but if it were to happen, it will happen on Phuket. biggrin.png

It's not going to be a "sky-train".

It's going to be a tram system at the same level as the roads for most of the route.

You are all dreaming ... taxi/minibus mafia will not let it happens for many years, if ever. And even then it's not going to service the busy west coast resorts. Mfia rules and will ultimately (fully) kill the golden goose ..

<snip>

The route isn't in mafia control and besides......it's useless and unwanted, so, why wouldn't it be built.

Useless and Unwanted .... And I rest my case ...

"Useless and Unwanted" - it's like the airport bus that was implemented.

Everyone knows it was needed, and would be used by passengers, but to appease the transport mafia, they put so many restrictions on it that it became "useless and unwanted" except for officials to be able to say, "Phuket has an airport bus."

So, it's possible it may be built, but will be of no benefit to tourists because the transport mafia will make sure that it does not cater for their transport needs.

I would be great to take a leisurely tram ride to Phuket Town from Chalong, safely out of the way of the minivan and motorbike lunatics on the roads. Bring it on I say.

Wouldn't it be better to direct funding towards proper public transportation for tourists?

Phuket desperately needs public transport along the coast road, between the beaches.

This would provide freedom of movement for tourists, spread the tourist baht more evenly around the island, and significantly reduce road fatalities and injuries, and assist to reduce crime.

Phuket's got the nice beaches, and plenty of activities, sports, shopping, restaurants, bars, nightlife and accommodation, but there's no point having these if people can not travel between them without an unpleasant interaction with a transport driver, let alone, a price that they know is out of line with the rest of the country, to the point they know they are being scammed.

I think the tram system from the airport to Chalong via Phuket Town will be built.

The route isn't in mafia control and besides......it's useless and unwanted, so, why wouldn't it be built.

It certainly isn't useless and unwanted by me and many like me who must travel to Phuket Town for business etc. Besides which I never visit any of the beaches here any more. Sitting on a beach sweating my cobs off on some crowded beach, paying 450 baht for a bloody fish not my idea of fun. No. I'll stick with Phuket Town, as has some visiting friends.

Edited by dageurreotype

• 1 month later...

"Chalong is not where the tourists want to go" - exactly.

So, who would use it, therefore, pay it off, and keep it running?

The Phuket transport mafia controls the movement of passengers here, not the Government.

This is why it will never work.

You will find at the top of the coffee money fine tree the government officials, police etc, so yes it is down to the government as its all built in to the infrastructure. The local mafia are just the pawns on the chessboard that help pay rent and taxes, no point targeting them.