Riding with expired tax

darkian

I need to get my bike to the inspection center so get a certificate to renew the tax, which lapsed last month. Am I ok to ride without the tax to do this, and if I do get stopped what's the penalty likely to be?

Many thanks.

EDIT: sorry I should've said, bike is over 5 years old, and last time I renewed the tax it needed an inspection.

Edited by darkian

Much depends where you are.

We got busted in Pattaya on beach road right outside the police station with an expired tax sticker on the scooter and the fine was 800 baht.

My wife was angry and tried to get the fine down but no.

So that was the lunch money and more out of the windowbiggrin.png

We got busted in Pattaya on beach road right outside the police station with an expired tax sticker on the scooter and the fine was 800 baht.

Is that the official fine for the offence? No way they can seize the bike or anything?

Very unlikely to get stopped, I know, but it's Sukhumvit (Bangkok) and I have had quite a few stops along there.

Is that the official fine for the offence? No way they can seize the bike or anything?

Very unlikely to get stopped, I know, but it's Sukhumvit (Bangkok) and I have had quite a few stops along there.

No idea whether they could seize the bike.

The official fine seems to go up to 2000 Baht.

So 800 is a bargain.

http://www.trafficpolice.go.th/fine2.php

(first table, items 2 and 3)

Edited by KhunBENQ

I wouldn't worry about it. Stick to the left side of the road, wear a helmet and the police will just wave you through any road block.

I let my tax expire quite often and even when I have been pulled over, in all the years I've been here (Sukhumvit Bangkok), not once have they asked for my tax disc.

No tax AND no insurance?

Are you referring to me or the OP?

If me then the answer is yes. I go there when i have time, so sometimes that can take a month or two. The basic insurance here is worth nothing. I think the maximum payout is 15,000B. I can cover that and more if I need to.

No tax AND no insurance?

If me then the answer is yes. I go there when i have time, so sometimes that can take a month or two. The basic insurance here is worth nothing. I think the maximum payout is 15,000B. I can cover that and more if I need to.

The basic is 50,000 but that's mandatory even for thais , farang in a crash will likely pay more

Even "poor" Thais I know take the hassle to go get this sorted every year and I'm sure if it was a semi optional payment they wouldn't bother

No tax AND no insurance?

That's where you are wrong, they actually do pay out, and yes, also to farangs.

I had the joy of using it once already :-)

No tax AND no insurance?

Hmm did you read what I said?

The maximum payout is 15,000B for injury to another. It doesn't cover any damage to other vehicles. I can live without that for a month or so until it is a convenient time for me to go to the DLT.

No tax AND no insurance?

The maximum payout is 15,000B for injury to another. It doesn't cover any damage to other vehicles. I can live without that for a month or so until it is a convenient time for me to go to the DLT.

But it is 50,000 baht for injury to your own person, that comes in handy too, or you don't mind forking that out too?

Might come in handy if the other party doesn't have any insurance.

I go there when i have time, so sometimes that can take a month or two. The basic insurance here is worth nothing. I think the maximum payout is 15,000B. I can cover that and more if I need to.

But it is 50,000 baht for injury to your own person, that comes in handy too, or you don't mind forking that out too?

Might come in handy if the other party doesn't have any insurance.

As much as that? I thought it was 3rd party only. I'll have to have another look at the small little slip of paper they give us.