Is there a new requirement for a "retirement" visa?

Silly rumour.

When it does go up, I would predict it will be a heck of a lot more than 200k. Last time it doubled as I recall.

The old amount was 200k for the extension, then it went to 800k, but if you had continuous extensions at 200k you were grandfathered, (as long as you maintain continuous extensions).

• Like 1

Strange how it is? that the Thai embassy calls it a retirement visa.

I think your probably did not notice that is a commercial website operated by a law firm.

From bottom of home page "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy."

I think your probably did not notice that is a commercial website operated by a law firm.

From bottom of home page "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy."

You're right. I just noticed it now.

Thanks.

Ok, so they weren't official government offices. My bad...

So what I did instead was get my girlfriend to call a friend who works for immigration and ask what the proper term for a retirement visa is.

And this is what she said.

It's called a

"Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa"

Yes, but in real life, the O-A is very rarely called Long Stay.

Again, it would really help on the forum if people just say precisely what they are talking about:

O visa -- O visa

O-A visa - O-A visa

Annual extensions based or retirement -- Annual extension based on retirement or retirement extension

Of course with people completely new to all this, they wouldn't usually know about precise terminology.

So we often get posts asking with something like, How Can I get a retirement visa?

If they are totally new, then it's normal to get into the details of explaining the different options of going about legalization of living in Thailand on retirement status.

It may involve an O-A. It may not. Depends on the best way to go for the individual.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

When 99% of internet searches on government sites,legal sites and various other sites refer to it as a retirement visa, you can understand why people would call it just that.

Call what that? O-A visas?

Yes, I see what you mean, but again ALL THE TIME, people call things that aren't O-A visas retirement visas.

If you got that, you'd understand very well why people who post regularly trying to give advice here encourage people to use more PRECISE terms.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

When 99% of internet searches on government sites,legal sites and various other sites refer to it as a retirement visa, you can understand why people would call it just that.

Retirement visa.

Instead of extension of stay based on retirement. Or O-A visa.

Retirement visa.

You don't get my point, huh?

About clear communication on this forum?

I give up!

• Like 2

Strange how that is a commercial website and is, in no way , associated with any Thai Embassy or Thai Government department !

Strange how you obviously missed the posts where that has already been pointed out and noticed.

Do you have anything of value to add to the topic?

Retirement visa.

You don't get my point, huh?

About clear communication on this forum?

I give up!

Were we not discussing the term "retirement visa" which as we all should know, does not exist.

So when i say "you can understand why people would call it just that".

Wouldn't you think i would have been talking about a "retirement visa". Which as we all know,does not exist.

How much clearer would you like me to make it.

Critical thinking not your strong point i see.

My point is that if people are going to constantly tell people that their is no such thing as a retirement visa than maybe they should also use the correct terminology.

The problem is that when a person only writes retirement visa I can only guess what it means.

Is it a non-o multiple entry visa?

Is it a non-oa visa?

Or is it a extension of stay based upon retirement?

• Like 1

My point is that if people are going to constantly tell people that their is no such thing as a retirement visa than maybe they should also use the correct terminology.

The problem is that when a person only writes retirement extension I can only guess what it means.

Is it a non-oa visa?

Joe this is by no means directed towards you as you do a wonderful job with the limited information you are provided.

It stems from the OP original post and some replies to the post which I constantly see in other threads.

A friend of mine informed me that he was instructed to have 1 million baht, rather than the typical 800,000 baht, in a bank account to qualify for a "retirement" visa. Has anyone else heard this as well? Is this a new requirement? Thank you.

And then people telling him that there is no such thing as a retirement visa, that it's called an extension of stay based upon retirement when in reality its a Non immigrant O-A long stay visa with extensions based upon retirement.

From the sounds of the OP is seems he wants to start the process of applying for the Non Immigrant O-A long stay visa and not for the extensions to that visa.

The problem is that when a person only writes retirement visa I can only guess what it means.

Is it a non-oa visa?

Joe this is by no means directed towards you as you do a wonderful job with the limited information you are provided.

It stems from the OP original post and some replies to the post which I constantly see in other threads.

A friend of mine informed me that he was instructed to have 1 million baht, rather than the typical 800,000 baht, in a bank account to qualify for a "retirement" visa. Has anyone else heard this as well? Is this a new requirement? Thank you.

And then people telling him that there is no such thing as a retirement visa, that it's called an extension of stay based upon retirement when in reality its a Non immigrant O-A long stay visa with extensions based upon retirement.

From the sounds of the OP is seems he wants to start the process of applying for the Non Immigrant O-A long stay visa and not for the extensions to that visa.

My first reply.

There have been no changes to the financial requirements to get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Or to apply for a OA visa at an embassy or consulate.

I think it was an extension he was asking about.

The problem is that when a person only writes retirement extension I can only guess what it means.

Is it a non-oa visa?

I think you meant to say "The problem is that when a person only writes retirement visa extension I can only guess what it means".

'Retirement extension' (in my opinion) clearly identifies what we are talking about and should be an acceptable term.

Sophon

Is it a non-oa visa?

I think you meant to say "The problem is that when a person only writes retirement visa extension I can only guess what it means".

'Retirement extension' (in my opinion) clearly identifies what we are talking about and should be an acceptable term.

Sophon

Fixed now. Fingers do don't always do what the mind wants and then the mind misses it.

I just noticed the gibberish in Post #36: "Renewal of Extension." Who is thinking up this confusing terminology? People who have permission to stay in Thailand can extend their stay. When that period of stay expires, they can apply for another extension. They cannot renew the extension that they have. For those who would argue that ambiguous language doesn't matter if people kind of, sort of, understand what they mean I would reply as I have to my writing students over the years: you may understand what you mean but your reader may not. There is no substitute for precise, unambiguous language and it is the writer's responsibility to make his meaning clear.

• Like 2

I just noticed the gibberish in Post #36: "Renewal of Extension." Who is thinking up this confusing terminology? People who have permission to stay in Thailand can extend their stay. When that period of stay expires, they can apply for another extension. They cannot renew the extension that they have. For those who would argue that ambiguous language doesn't matter if people kind of, sort of, understand what they mean I would reply as I have to my writing students over the years: you may understand what you mean but your reader may not. There is no substitute for precise, unambiguous language and it is the writer's responsibility to make his meaning clear.

Well, let's get really pedantic, and have a look at what it says in my 'Compact Oxford English Dictionary'. I can't be bothered to type out all the definitions given for the verb 'renew', but they include:-

5 - grant or be granted a continuation of (a licence, subscription, lease, etc.)

​If we currently have an "extension of stay", which is what it says in my passport, that definition seems to me to describe exactly the transaction that takes place when we trot along to immigration with our passports and TM7 forms. If you're applying for the first extension, you're only applying for a renewal of permission to stay/enter, but to say an extension cannot be renewed is just sophistry.

• Like 2