Is Thailand really cheap?

webfact

A friend of mine just got back from Spain and we were both surprised how cheap its gotten. Only housing is cheaper here. Of course you cannot compare street food since there is none of that in EU. Food prices and eating out are basically the same price as in Thailand.

If I compare the brand new condo 1 bedrooms that rent for 35k baht in the center of bkk the difference in price of square meter is none.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems thousand a month for phone might be high. Easy solution: fewer friends. Car or motorcycle: I have neither. A bit of inconvenience but I still have my hair, bits of sanity.

When I think things are getting spendy, I have my annual trip back to USA. Oh yeah, prices have gone up there.... whew!

It really does depend on where you live. I used to live in Samui, and the prices there were skyrocketing. It got to the point where it became difficult to find a dish at a crappy little local restaurant for under 100 baht. Some charged far more. Fruit was very expensive, and in general there was alot of "island related extortion pricing" going on. On the other hand things like motorbike rentals were cheap. House rentals were a bit high.

On the mainland, it is still reasonable. I do not consider Thailand to be cheap anymore. When Thais tell me it is cheap, I give them an earful. It used to be cheap. Not anymore. It is still reasonable, depending on where one lives. Pattaya and Bangkok are considerably more expensive. The officials who are constantly going on about little or no inflation are living on a different planet than the one I occupy. I see inflation everywhere I look.

I rent in Bangkok. Very cheap but clean apartment block that has about 95% Thais. I have a studio apartment. I can live with my partner for under 40,000 baht a month but medical emergencies or any other unusual circumstance requires me using my savings. I eat Thai/western food 50-50. Weekly shopping for two of us about 2,500bht a week and as I support my partner our total weekly bill is about 9,000bht including rent, laundry and power. Western food at the supermarket is more expensive than in the west and most of the luxuries, wine, lamb, good beef, etc., is almost twice the cost as it is in the west. My drinking has reduced considerably since I ceased working, much to the advantage of my waistline, and I am now on a pension. We live within 10 minutes walk of a supermarket and the BTS.

Definitely you cannot live it up on the amount I get but still have a good life.

You can live comfortably in Thailand on 30.000 a month if you dont do things in excess.

Car repayments.

Car insurance.

Car maintenance.

Cost me about 30k a month.

I must live an excessive lifestyle.

I guess you must own a Rolls Royce on finance, cos I can't imagine any other car that would cost about 30K a month.

I live with 10k.

4k room

4k food

1k visa

1k for the rest.

no health care, health care is for sissies

no alcohol

no smoke

and my life is better than in the USA. no need to work. Beach all day, movies, shopping mall, and fresh air. can go fishing, watch TV, ....

Edited by papayasalad

We are in Bangkok, we live comfortably but without excess. No rent as we own our house but we have to maintain it, charge that usually fall on the owner when you rent. Monthly budget is around 30 to 40K. Then you have "exceptional expenses" that fall on a desperately regular basis (car maintenance, visit to the dentist, air cond break down, ...) and you can easily add 10 to 20K / month.

On the other hand we also have a house in the sticks. Budget 10 - 20 K a month including the extras and you can't really spend more as there is nothing to spend your money on.

Then there is the occasional week end in Pattaya with the boys. 10K can disappear overnight without you remembering where they went ...

Buying a vehicle in Thailand is way more expensive than say Australia where I just paid the equivalent of B470,000.00 for a Honda Jazz top of the range 2015 end of year plate clearance.The car comes with 5 year warranty,5 year third party(CTP) and five year roadside assistance and has reversing camera,bluetooth etc,etc.No chance of getting that kind of a deal here!So if you need more than one vehicle in your family then you will blow a few months living expenses into Thai Government coffers!!

The numbers you are giving in your article are very correct. A single may be able to do that, but add a partner and it becomes at least 45k.

Prices in Pattaya have been on the increase for 2 years quite significantly.

Sounds like you need to move,

30 k a month in the country is ample to live on, 2/3 thirds cheaper than Pattaya

Apart from maybe housing what is 2/3rds cheaper in the country. I've travelled around most of Thailand and found most things cost around the same. Beer, petrol (gas), electricity, Truevisions, food in markets/711s, phone charges. I could live just as cheaply in Pattaya as in Udon or Korat.

You can live comfortably in Thailand on 30.000 a month if you dont do things in excess.

Car repayments.

Car insurance.

Car maintenance.

I guess you must own a Rolls Royce on finance, cos I can't imagine any other car that would cost about 30K a month.

I don't spend more than 5k a month incl. insurance, maintenance and petrol. Okay, my car is a bit old but paid, would never buy a car on finance. Either I can afford to buy a new one, if not 2nd hand, if not motorbike or bicycle, if not walk.

it can be cheap if you want or have to live like a poor Thai person but if you want to live like a real human I don't think its cheap, you win a few and lose a few. l don't live here cos its cheap, the money it cost me to live here I could live anywhere in the world.

so basically you're equating a 'poor thai person' with not being a 'real human'. you are a joke.

I run 2 houses,admittedly owned outright,3 small motorbikes,a wife and 2 kids who are always well dressed.All four of us eat like horses,pay the bills,I dont go out very often choosing to have a beer at home instead and smoke as well.My pleasures are simple.Me and the wife go out most days on my bike and enjoy the country.My wife manages all this up here in Phitsanulok on 20k a month with a 5k a month back up,as well as money in bank for visa etc that is hardly ever needed.So of course it's cheap but no where near as cheap as in 2007/8 when my houses were built getting 70-80 baht to the pound.

Finally before you ask,my wife is not available to act as a financial guru to all those who can't manage money.

So, no car, no health insurances, no education cost for your kids, no savings, and no holiday outings?

We live in Bangkok, quite modestly and cannot get our budgets below 100k a month. We have a car, health insurances, a mother in law to support, kids in school and yearly visit to the motherland back home.

Thailand is not cheap anymore, driven up by higher paid salaries in the last few years which has sent inflation rocketing.

Some parts of Thailand are very expensive like Phuket which there is no justification for such over-inflated prices other than pure greed.

30,000 THB is not much these days. Calculate: 15,000 per month for an average rental place, leaving 15,000 THB for Electric, Gas, Water, Food, Petrol. Yearly insurance vehicle policy, periodical visa/immigration runs. Maybe some have to support the family. If children are involved, then 30,000 THB isn't enough. I would say you need at least 60,000 THB to be comfortable per month.

Car repayments.

Car insurance.

Car maintenance.

Our CRV cost us 25k a month: insurance, gas, maintenance and depreciation.

Car repayments.

Car insurance.

Car maintenance.

Our CRV cost us 25k a month: insurance, gas, maintenance and depreciation.

So that isn't even included finance?

1st class insurance approx 2K a month.

For 5 K a month in gasoline you drive a damn lot, would mean you do over 50K kliomter a year.

Maintenance on a reasonable recent car would be maximum 4K a month, including tires.

So your car depreciates 14K a month?

Can I buy your car after 5 years please? It must be a give away at that time with such a deprecation.

smile.png

Pattaya is Thailand like Los Vegas is the USA.

Vegas is cheaper especially for seniors, and disabled people are respected there. Not to mention the newest/best Veterans hospital in the USA for free medical care if you're a Vet. Bus transport and senior transport is cheaper than Thailand and again Vets are transported across Vegas to the hospital for free. I've had it with this place and am moving back. I'm tired of living on mark down stuff at mini C and Tesco. blink.pngbah.gif I live on the Dark Side, ever try to get a cop or ambulance here. ? 911?

Alcohol is a significant factor in determining how much it costs to live here. When i first arrived in '99 i was drinking in expat pubs and spending about 20k on booze and taxis home a month. I havent been to a bar for years ,only drink at home or other peoples homes (free). I spend maybe 6000 b a month .

Alot of farang expats spend 50k a month in beer bars and bar fines.

The only consumer goods/services that are genuinely cheap here are items low income/ poor Thais must have ie public transport,clothes, street food ,medical&dental and rooms for rent.

As soon as you start talking about 'luxury farang' goods ie cheese,hot bread,chocolate,cars and wine then the price skyrockets.

Edited by jalansanitwong

I live in Isaan, Kalsin in an apartment monthly 3,500, about 4,000 with electric and water.

My average daily expense is about 500 Baht, not just for food, but if I take most things into consideration.

I do not drink. So there is 20,000 gone right there, in a month.

The numbers you are giving in your article are very correct. A single may be able to do that, but add a partner and it becomes at least 45k.

Prices in Pattaya have been on the increase for 2 years quite significantly.

blink.png I just spent a few days in Koh Samet and was surprised at the cost of stuff at 7 11. I actually thought prices were controlled in Thailand but found I was paying 30 to 40% more there or USA prices. Yeah, it is 30% nicer there.thumbsup.gif

Thailand can be cheap, also very expensive, it all depends on where you are and what you do.

Agree-Depends on where you are from and how much $$$$/income you have. Personally, I find it kind of cheap. I own my house and live just outside Ubon Ratchathani on 17 rai. I live here for six months and the United States for the other. I try and travel throughout S.E. Asia while in Thailand. Since the Thai government has a minimum wage of 300 baht, prices have gone up, my USD/Thai Baht rate has also gone up too. Just bought four Michelin tires for my truck that was balanced with a front end alignment-Cost about 358 USD. In the United States would have been triple. Life to me here is “Very Good!” Good Luck. smile.png

If you live like a peasant, it is. If you want to have western standards, not.

Define western standards... I live the same here as there on exactly the same budget, 15000-20000thb. I have all I need. Do all I want. I share food most of the time with friends. Every day the same people, good company. Housing is 5000 all in (including cleaning lady). A large Leo in the local open air bar Is 75thb and in the local brothel karaoke joint it's 100thb. Life is good here ;)

Car repayments.

Car insurance.

Car maintenance.

Not excessive lifestyle for a self-own taxi driver...

Was for over a month in Thailand in many areas. My Wife, who is Thai, said that we have a much higher standard of living and quality of life in Canada compared to what our $$ would get us in Thailand. I have to agree as we were considering on retiring in Thailand, but after being there, we couldn't wait to get back to Canada lol. I use to take many things for granted here, but not any more.

I dreamed that sunshine and beaches would lure me away, but it didn't.

Edited by steve654

If you live like a peasant, it is. If you want to have western standards, not.

Define western standards... I live the same here as there on exactly the same budget, 15000-20000thb. I have all I need. Do all I want. I share food most of the time with friends. Every day the same people, good company. Housing is 5000 all in (including cleaning lady). A large Leo in the local open air bar Is 75thb and in the local brothel karaoke joint it's 100thb. Life is good here ;)
Replace that Leo beer with a pint of Guinness or Stella,that to me is western standard.

It's not 75 baht for a pint of Guinness,incidentally where I live a large Leo is 55 baht so your paying over the odds.

Edited by stoneyboy