Renting a condo: owner wants access!

Hi,

I`m supposed to a sign a contract for a 6 month lease today.

The owner potentially wants to sell it later on, and asked to have a point in the contract saying that he should be allowed to showcase the condo to potential buyers at maximum two times a month.

I said that this was out of the question, and asked the agent to add this point instead:

"No access to the condo without prior agreement with the tenant is permitted"

The owner actually agreed to this point. I`m just afraid to be lawyered down later, heh.

I`m not going to be difficult, and I`ll let him display it, but I definitely don`t want my condo to be showcased to others two times every month.

How would you formulate the point I wanted to add?

Am I covered?

What is normal in Thailand?

Br,

Jacx

What is normal in Thailand is that there are probably 30 other condos for rent in the same building and 100's in the 200m vicinity, so you don't have to put up with any crap.

Probably because a condo unit showcased for a potential sale has better interior decoration... ?

I would side with the owner on this one. Access at a time he has coordinated with you maximum twice a month is pretty reasonable. I doubt that you are so busy that two 20 minute visits are truly the burden you make it out to be.

If anything I'd maybe ask for a small rent decrease for the minor inconvenience.

Bottom line though is it's your money. If you don't like the conditions don't rent the condo.

"I`m not going to be difficult, and I`ll let him display it, but I definitely don`t want my condo to be showcased to others two times every month."

It's not your condo, it's his.

I wouldn't worry about the owner getting a lawyer - you will have finished your contact before they managed to do much and the owner knows it.

I would be more bothered about being able to recover your deposit.

What is normal is that you need to specify very precisely in the contract exactly how much advance notice is required, and what specific times are acceptable for viewings.

Something like :

All viewings must be agreed at least 7 days in advance by both parties, and may only take place between the hours of 10am and 4pm on weekdays.

That's what I put into my rental agreement, and if the agent/landlord didn't like it I would have told them exactly where to go. Needless to say he did like it.

God gave you a precise language (English): use it.

I rent out a summer house on a yearly contract base. The previous renter was someone like you and wanted to change the same rule. I had no problem with the change because we do not have the intention to sell, but I pointed out that "No access to the condo without prior agreement with the tenant is permitted" means a tenant can block all sales by never given permission for a preview.

It's not your condo, it's his.

As long as I'm paying rent, it's mine.

No ifs, no buts, no maybes.

If something breaks and needs to be repaired are you going to arrange for it to be fixed and pay for it?

And deduct the cost from the rent? Quite possibly. It would depend on the individual circumstances.

With some agents/landlords a tenant could wait forever for something to be fixed.

What is normal is that you need to specify very precisely in the contract exactly how much advance notice is required, and what specific times are acceptable for viewings.

Something like :

All viewings must be agreed at least 7 days in advance by both parties, and may only take place between the hours of 10am and 4pm on weekdays.

That's what I put into my rental agreement, and if the agent/landlord didn't like it I would have told them exactly where to go. Needless to say he did like it

Seven days in advance is ridiculous. You sound like a dream tenant.

Edited by alex8912

It think we can all agree that it's important to only sign a contact you are happpy with. It's been mentioned that you can discuss amendments to the contract, and that people have been successful in doing just that.

There is an over supply of property (especially condos) in cities such as Bangkok and Pattaya. In this scenario you have much more chance of not only negotiating contract terms but also the rent itself.

I would encourage you to negotiate. If the owner won't budge and the contract is not suitable, then move on.

I think that last paragraph applies to women too.

Let him do it, then the first time he shows it, spread some empty (and half-full) bottles of booze all around, a few full ashtrays, dishes piled up in the sink, dirty clothes piled Everywhere, and some rap music blasting.
He'll show someone elses place to the next potential buyer.

I'm a Lessor and a Lessee (i.e. I own a Condo and rent it out and also rent a larger unit out myself).

I wouldn't rent out to the OP: It appears as though he's being difficult right from the offset. If a rental unit is also up for sale it's only reasonable to be permitted access with sufficient (48 hrs) notice.

Being both a Lessor and a Lessee it clear that the relationship only remains mutually respectful and positive if both parties are very reasonable.

Searat7 shows the right attitude and I would hope for a long term enjoyable business relationship with him.

... on the other hand, Fiddlehead shows a complete lack of regard and respect, he would get kicked out of the Condo rather quickly....

Something like :

That's what I put into my rental agreement, and if the agent/landlord didn't like it I would have told them exactly where to go. Needless to say he did like it.

Perfectly reasonable... although in both my Lessee and Lessor contracts the advanced notice is 48 hrs...

I've just e-mailed my tenants to get access to my Condo so that I may show someone on any afternoon next week convenient for them.

The owner has rights, and so do you. The balance point is best met by friendly means.

Any owner must reasonably be allowed access to what they own.

Any tenant must reasonably be allowed privacy.

The owner seems aware of this by volunteering an upper limit. Plus acknowledges it MUST be after your agreement to the schedule.

If paranoid about unscheduled visits behind your back, get a gopro type camera setup to record when there is movement, point at the front door. But this is a bit OTT.

But, if you think the owner wants too much, then rent a different condo.

You might find a new "problem" with the next owner.

6 months? Not worth stressing over?

I can't imagine there will be much interest in the condo unless it's at a fire sale price. The market for property is dead.

Don't buy property in Thailand. It might eventually slow down the developers.

Rent.

Let him do it, then the first time he shows it, spread some empty (and half-full) bottles of booze all around, a few full ashtrays, dishes piled up in the sink, dirty clothes piled Everywhere, and some rap music blasting.

He'll show someone elses place to the next potential buyer.

Rap music???????? Not such a thing.

Geez....just find another condo or apartment to rent.

Bangkok and Thailand in general is well known for having an abundance of accommodations for every budget.

Why would you want to be fighting with the condo owner and possibly have to be leaving in 6 months anyhow and have to find new accommodations and move everything and do everything entailed.

Just find a better deal out there.

Cheers

Geez....just find another condo or apartment to rent.

Bangkok and Thailand in general is well known for having an abundance of accommodations for every budget.

Why would you want to be fighting with the condo owner and possibly have to be leaving in 6 months anyhow and have to find new accommodations and move everything and do everything entailed.

Just find a better deal out there.

Cheers

Actually he's not fighting with the condo owner.

He's fighting the condo owner.

[emoji102]

I have a verbal agreement with the owner's agent to allow an inspection by a potential buyer with a couple of days' notice.

In the last 4 years, that agreement has never been called on. Either the owner has set his price too high, or he has realised the 8% net yield he's getting on his capital is as good as he can get anywhere else. There's a glut of empty apartments in my condo.

If the OP doesn't like the terms, he should look elsewhere. Plenty of fish in the Thai property sea.

What is normal in Thailand is that there are probably 30 other condos for rent in the same building and 100's in the 200m vicinity, so you don't have to put up with any crap.

I am coming to the end of my 3 year lease and just extended it for another 3 years. I have never seen the landlord. He is happy and I am happy. Yes the above advice is good take it. If he wants to sell that just puts more pressure on you. If he gets a fast buyer your lease will mean diddly squat here.

Access to show a property is by no means unusual in almost any lease anywhere in most civilized countries. Usually it is done through appointments. i.e. The owner/agent would call you to let you know that he/she would be bringing a prospective buyer to look at the property say next Tuesday at 3:00 pm

but immediate anytime access is not a usual way to handle the showcasing of a property listed for sale.