Why I will give the next 3 month trip a miss.

I agree OP, regrettably your opinion or actions count for little to the local people as they will be blissfully unaware. It's impossible to re-educate an entire nation, where the will to be re-educated dose not exist. The locals will learn over time, but not in time to save their valuable asset of tourism and foreign visitors.

I understand exactly what you are saying.Thailand is Thailand and it will never change just do window dressing.But people will keep coming chasing the dream.Most tourists on 2 week holidays just want to live it up. they overspend. The overspending cushions them most of the time from the in your face crime and discrimination.Over spend every one takes care of you.,money talks and walks here.They donot have time to think about costs they only think wowi am eating papaya salad and sticky rice cannot get that at home.Who cares what it costs I am experiencing it.These people will keep coming. I saw it happen in Mexico over 30 years ago. Cancun draws many people but is far from being real Mexico.Same will happen here.

They donot care how corrupt the government is just give them 2 weeks of feeling like they are somebody.Over charging is ok by them because they are to stupid to learn about the country before they come. Fun is the sun.

Also good on you for going budget now.The little you spend will actually do more for the country than the large you spent before. To live for 3 months on that you will be dealing with the people who work hard for little and appreciate everything they get.

Edited by lovelomsak

I was enjoying your post until I hitthe part about Thai Culture being Pure Greed. All I can say not my experience at all. I have been helped many times when on the road and never a dime changed hands just a thank you and a sawadee Khrup. Maybe you where hanging in all of the wrong places

Nah, he's right, the Thai culture is one of pure greed (especially in BK and tourist centers).

But not every Thai adheres to the national culture, not to mention many villages have a culture different to the main stream.

Thailand isn't really a cohesive nation, more an assimilated mish mash of widely differing tribes.

But most tourist areas anywhere have their share scams and high-prices...nothing unique to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't experienced greed at all but it's only been a year. All times when I've paid someone to so something I've thought it was ridiculously cheap. Repair and re-sew my sandals for 100 bt, remove my battery from the truck, take to shop, 24 hour charge and reinstall for 20 bt, make couple laminated duplicates of passport for 50 bt. I've never been charged a higher price then Thais except at National parks.

• Like 1

I was enjoying your post until I hitthe part about Thai Culture being Pure Greed. All I can say not my experience at all. I have been helped many times when on the road and never a dime changed hands just a thank you and a sawadee Khrup. Maybe you where hanging in all of the wrong places

Nah, he's right, the Thai culture is one of pure greed (especially in BK and tourist centers).

But not every Thai adheres to the national culture, not to mention many villages have a culture different to the main stream.

Thailand isn't really a cohesive nation, more an assimilated mish mash of widely differing tribes.

The Fugarwee tribe is my fav.

• 1 month later...

you would not be here unless your trying to save money from a nicer location

you should have been banking that money the whole time. paying in more then you have to is a fools game. when your broke nobody here is coming to your aid.

I dont see an valid point in the OP that gives a reason for not having a trip/ holiday in Thailand.

Pretty much everything, I assume he, said is why Thailand is still so relatively cheap.

Taxis dont put the meter on hop back out.

You give a crap about a tourist attraction that charges you an extra 200 baht when you say you are splurging 150000 on everything else?.

Dont tip at restaurants the thais dont.

You can go to a cheaper country, where infrastructure is worse. Or go to a dearer country, where you pay triple to get into the same kind of tourist attraction.

There will still be 30-35 million other tourists coming to thailand next year, and no one will really lose any sleep over the OP not coming

• Like 1

You give a crap about a tourist attraction that charges you an extra 200 baht when you say you are splurging 150000 on everything else?.

You can go to a cheaper country, where infrastructure is worse. Or go to a dearer country, where you pay triple to get into the same kind of tourist attraction.

There will still be 30-35 million other tourists coming to thailand next year, and no one will really lose any sleep over the OP not coming

National parks and museums in Britain are free, as indeed are parks in most other EU countries. And, unlike Thailand, we certainly dont charge people more to use anything just because they are foreign. Indeed it would be a crime anywhere in the EU to do this.

Most of the 30-35 million tourists in Thailand now are not the fairly civilised and high-spending Westerners they used to be: they are now mostly cut-price tourists from China, Indian and some former Soviet nations. If I was financially involved in Thai tourism I would be concerned about this.

1. Is the double pricing with the tourist attractions, seriously that big a deal? Seriously?

Theres a water park in Chai Nat, my daughter loves, think its 30 baht to get in the main gate, then another 30 baht to get into the water park, Think I pay 100 baht to get into the main gate, dont even really pay attention as the wife usually brings the neighbours wives and their kids.

So there will be like 8 of us, and it will only cost me 600 baht, $23 australian, I just laugh, something similar back home, 1 person would cost me $23. So I pay an extra $3 for not being brown, who cares???

2. That last paragraph. If you were financially invested in Thai torism, would you really be concerned by more chinese? Really?, or would you just adapt, what was it last year?, a jump from 25 to 30 million tourists

• Like 2

1. Is the double pricing with the tourist attractions, seriously that big a deal? Seriously?

Systematically overcharging people because they are foreign is a big deal, I think. Even more so when it is officially supported by government. I think it gives an accurate and very revealing insight into Thai mentality.

2. That last paragraph. If you were financially invested in Thai torism, would you really be concerned by more chinese? Really?, or would you just adapt, what was it last year?, a jump from 25 to 30 million tourists

Yes, the change in demographic to the very cheapest sort of tourism would indeed bother me if I was Thai or had any financial interest in Thai tourism. I am not Thai nor do I have any business interest in Thailand, but even so I can see the results of this downward trend every day.

• Like 2

Sounds like you never stopped being a tourist and didnt integrate and go native, i find myself purposely avoiding tourists and doing touristy things. Another thing, western countries are still corrupt, they just hide it in plain sight and call it taxes, red tape, fees and charges

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2016 at 4:43 AM, fey said:

you would not be here unless your trying to save money from a nicer location

you should have been banking that money the whole time. paying in more then you have to is a fools game. when your broke nobody here is coming to your aid.

Alternatively, when you're dead you can't  spend it. Old people saving for a future they don't have ...... pointless.

• Like 2

Who gives a damn about thai greed .....   you could say that about 90% of countries of the world ... US, Australia, UK, Mexico, China and everywhere .....

Forget the rest,  just get on with your own life and enjoy and stop whinging before it's too late and your dead and gone ..... :wai:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In 2006 the prices of almost everything were much cheaper and the exchange rate for the gb£ was much better amplifying the low costs. Now prices of everything are much higher and the gb£ exchange rate has Is rock bottom. Could this have anything to do with the OP's dreams of Chiang Mai turning sour?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I first came to Thailand, in 2006 to Chiang Mai. Also I have visited the South (Kuri Buri), Kanchanaburi, the north east (Udon Thani). But my heart is attached to Chiang Mai more than anywhere else in Thailand. So much so I wrote a book to promote Chiang Mai called [THAILAND'S Chiang Mai 21st Century Silk Road] in the UK and planned to move here permanently, after 10 years, now I am not so sure. In some ways I now wish I had not written the book. I read a lot about Thai politics, the governments so called efforts to reduce corruptions it calls graft. An English word it does not understand the meaning of. Graft means to physically work hard, not corruption. But it is the Thai Government that is leading the way grafting hard at an increase in the level of corruption with the 2 price system. One price for Thai and another for foreigners. Taxi drivers want to charge 200 Baht for a fare they charge a Thai 40 Baht for 1 or 2 kilometres and they don't want to turn the metres on.The price of 40 baht for a Thai and 400 Baht for a foreigner to visit a National Park. Then I say NO THANK YOU! Most other countries encourage tourism with special discounts. I know of only one Park that charges 100 Baht to both Thai and foreigner. This I gladly pay. Even some shop keepers try to operate a dual price system with foreigners.
An unfortunate fact of life is Thai governments see all foreign tourists or foreign residents as a rich charity that is there to support the Thai economy with endless amounts of money. Of course I see quite a lot of Chinese Tourists on the streets and they speak better English than most Thais. I do not see them in the shops, bars and restaurants. The shopping malls have mostly Thais and the western tourists are no longer in them in any of the numbers that use to use them. The atmosphere that was there from the tourists from many countries is no longer there.
China has over produced in parts of its economy that it could suffer an economic meltdown and their tourists could disappear with it. They have built many empty cities with no-one to live in them. As for the idea of 12 points of Thai Culture; it only has one culture PURE GREED. I hear the Prime Ministers statement of self pity that that Thailand is not a developed country. It has good transport infrastructure as good as any western country, decent roads and in some ways more efficient. They have lots of new cars like any western country. smart phones, computers, HD TV's, washing machine, plus many other electronic gadget and goods you find in other developed countries. Unlike Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia it cannot any longer be regarded as a third world country
The Thai GREED has made me very cynical and the Politics make it impossible to invest in Thailand because it has only one law. The law of stupidity. Yes all countries have laws in regard to business, But they don't all indulge in the racist deceit of restrictive Thai protectionism.
I use to spend very freely when I came. Now and in future I will always attempt to spend less in an attempt to attack Thai dishonesty and corruption. Instead of spending 150,000 Baht in 3 months. This time I will spend 60,000 Baht and take some of my money home with me. After all it is quite easy to buy a meal for 40 Baht in a Topps supermarket restaurant. The pleasant tourist environment that use to be here has been disappearing with this greed. Western tourists are not stupid enough to keep putting up with this economic greed. That is why I will give the next 3 month trip a miss.

You are a pretty bright bulb ( wink wink)
maybe after another decade you'll finally figure out the whole thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...