Phuket International Airport looks to ban paging boards

rooster59

Phuket International Airport looks to ban paging boards

post-247607-0-16171900-1453533287_thumb.

PHUKET: Phuket International Airport is considering banning private paging boards at the arrival hall, confirmed Somsak Pakdeerak, deputy president of the Phuket International Airport Administration Department.

An announcement was posted on the facility’s Facebook page, AOT [Airpots of Thailand] Phuket International Airport, announcing that the new policy banning private agents using the boards to pick up passengers would come into effect on February 1. However, the Phuket Gazette has confirmed that there is no set launch date for the plan.

“We have postponed the date indefinitely, as we are further discussing details and developing solid rules that are both convenient and safe,” said Mr Somsak, adding that the announcement on Facebook would be pulled down.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-International-Airport-looks-ban-paging-boards/62951?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-23

a endless parade of stupidity. sad for Thailand.

it is not like they have to invent anything. just look to outside world and copy what works. but they can't even do that.

What do you expect? The average Thai believe that from the ice cube to the light bulb, the tuk tuk, som tam, the telephone, and even Toyota pick-up trucks were invented by Thais in Thailand.

So how the heck can prebooked hotel taxis find their guests - stupid, really stupid.

I guess the airport taxi mafia want every tourist into their taxi ... stupid

Outside the arrivals hall.

In the past everybody was waiting inside, but some time ago that was banned and everybody with boards had to wait outside, leaving only friends/family inside. Worked fine, but lately there are again more and more tourguides waiting inside, especially for the Chinese guests.

I don't see why they can't wait outside like everybody else.

The photo though was taken outside, but I can't see any ban on boards there. I'm pretty sure they aim to ban the boards inside.

Edited by stevenl

If you read the full article you find this:

“To set up security measures for passengers arriving at the Phuket International Airport, the Airport Authority of Thailand reserves the right to not allow anyone to pick up passengers using their own paging boards. If such boards are required, please contact the Information Counter at the arrival hall on the first floor.”

It appears paging boards are not banned completely, you just have to hire an official one from whomever gets the franchise.

So how the heck can prebooked hotel taxis find their guests - stupid, really stupid.

In the past everybody was waiting inside, but some time ago that was banned and everybody with boards had to wait outside, leaving only friends/family inside. Worked fine, but lately there are again more and more tourguides waiting inside, especially for the Chinese guests.

The photo though was taken outside, but I can't see any ban on boards there. I'm pretty sure they aim to ban the boards inside.

We all know how screwed up these local news reports are - but the photo clearly leads the reader to think its about boards outside the airport building.

We all know how screwed up these local news reports are - but the photo clearly leads the reader to think its about boards outside the airport building.

Agree, but is that a stock photo or a on topic photo?

Looking at the original article, it seems to be a stockphoto.

Edited by stevenl

a endless parade of stupidity. sad for Thailand.

it is not like they have to invent anything. just look to outside world and copy what works. but they can't even do that.

What do you expect? The average Thai believe that from the ice cube to the light bulb, the tuk tuk, som tam, the telephone, and even Toyota pick-up trucks were invented by Thais in Thailand.

Didn't they find the cure for the ebola virus

How odd. Every airport in the world I have travelled to (52 countries) allows similar boards. I don't get it, what problem are they trying to fix?

With all the issues facing the Kingdom, this can't possibly be something to spend a nano second of resource or effort on.

Just odd.

How odd. Every airport in the world I have travelled to (52 countries) allows similar boards. I don't get it, what problem are they trying to fix?

<snip>

The problem they are trying to fix is the "problem" that some revenue that would normally go to the local transport mafia is being siphoned off by pre-arranged rides from hotels, tour operators and other legitimate businesses.

Remember that the stats and figures are encouraging these people........

almost 30 million visitors last year........massive.

Yes, but most of them are Chinese groups go everywhere 50 at a time in a pre-booked Chinese operated tour bus who are otherwise afraid to go out of their pre-booked room in a Chinese owned Hotel, without the Chinese tour guide with them to accompany them to pre-booked Chinese restaurants and pre-booked Chinese-owned souvenir shops. Not that I am anti-Chinese!!!!!