SURVEY: Do you agree with the adding of 360 baht 'Maintenance Fee' on tourists?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe the 360 baht 'Maintenance Fee' on tourists will effect tourism??  

615 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I live near a tourist beach Al Manao in Phrachuap

In the week a few foreign tourists, beach and surroundings clean

Weekends and holidays the Thai masses descend resulting in filth and rubbish everywhere they are the ones that need to pay for cleaning and maintenance ... not foreign tourists

I totally agree with you,there is a small national park in the mountains near where i live NE of chaing mai, threre is a beautiful waterfall there,the only people that go there are mostly Thai and the amount of rubbish they leave there is a disgrace, they just dont care!

Exact same thing happens at public spaces back home, where a small percentage of the population are filthy pigs.

I would guess the majority of Thais lament their country's oblivious slobs, just as do we back home.

As I see it, the biggest difference is one of consequences and enforcement. The slobs back home get hit with big fines when they're caught.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as long as those of us long term residents with marriage or retirement visas who go back to our home country once in a while don't get hit with it,. We already contribute our incomes to the Thai economy.

Although it will probably be hidden in higher air fares or airport taxes so we'll be hit twice.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Yes it is a good idea to filter out non-quality tourists.

I would go further. Tax farang a daily rate for living in Thailand. Not just the annual extension or visa fee but a daily charge for living in the kingdom.

Any tourist who understands the fact that he or she will have to pay and a maintenance fee and pay double, triple, or even tenfold the local price once visiting 'the attraction' will feel insulted and cheated. Not a good way to treat tourists. Tourist tax ok, but then stop the double pricing.

Also, I wonder what the price saturation threshold for visiting Thailand is, because once over this, it will be tough to woo the visitors back,

There is a certain predatory mindset in some humans that always looks toward others' stuff and conceals their rationale as improving the life of the whole, or "for the children (tourist attractions)." Consider the West, France specifically, as one example of the same approach- confiscation with its own raison d'etre (earlier stupid polices that also sucked the life from the economy). Efforts within past few years to grossly tax the rich resulted in the rich leaving, fleeing, avoiding, and even giving up citizenship. This is evident in too numerous to count examples.

Under the cover of share the wealth or protect the resources/attractions predatory thinking seeks to take more of what belongs to another person, but always concealed as redistribution for the whole. When its pushed too far or unfairly, it always blows-back. With a collapsing economy, debatable national image internationally, and numerous local problems, this idea will injure Thailand's single greatest asset- its visitors. The real "maintenance fee" should come from the local community of tuktuk drivers, hoteliers, eateries, etc. who's livelihood is made better by their gracious visitors. One more example of the decline of human reasoning.

http://mic.com/articles/21042/gerard-depardieu-leaves-france-for-russia-over-misguided-75-tax-on-the-wealthy#.4JSRHcFeK

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/france-drops-75percent-supertax

But but but...It's for the children!

Agree..i'd say most tourists come in on a 30day visa exempt stamp. So 360bht is a bloody cheap visa if wana look at it that way. Im sure i had to pay a small fee to leave the kingdom when i first started holidaying here, now i live here. Love everything about. All the Thai bashers on here complaining about everything that makes thailand what it is. Maybe should look at some hobbies to there. BYE CUP NAM ,i say.

If cant afford 360bht (more than a lot of peoples daily salary in thai). How can afford the holiday.

Put it up to $200 even for visa runners. That way some of the miserable sods on here maybe look elsewhere. At the end of the day it is $10. It is less 4 beers. If that is going to break the bank then you have problems. I understand people are sick of all these added charges all the time but that is life. Same in the west. Twice a year in Aussie they review tax on beer and cigarettes. Of course there is always the increase. The only charge that I get really jack of is the government sanctioned double or triple pricing. I hate the fact that I cannot walk into a shop wife my wife and we both choose something we want. She goes in first and chooses and negotiates the price and then calls me. The look on most sellers face is priceless. OMG she has a farang ATM for a husband and I gave this woman the locals price!!!! It's like the look a game fisherman has when the big marlin he has on the line breaks the line and gets free. Lifes funny moments.

Edited by callaway

Bangkok: King Palace: 4.000 Baht

Ocean World: 3.500 Baht

Dinner River Cruise: 10.000 Baht

Muay Thai Fight: 2.000 Baht

Wat Pho Bangkok: 400 Baht

1 hour Bangkok longtail boot canal tour: 2.000 Baht

Baiyoke Sky Tower: 1.600 Baht

been coming here since late 90s. never visited any of these except for 1x lumpini stadium (2009) where i paid 300thb (under table) and was let in through some side entrance whistling.gif

No visit the King Palace?

No enjoyed the views from Baiyoke Tower?

You should do it.

It is nice, but pricy.

What my friend has visited, are the typical "first timer" tourist attractions,

as done so far by millions of tourists.

Guess, you're not the flagship Tourist, of which the TAT dreams.

Paying 1600 baht to see a polluted stinking town from a high rise? I would rather google images and drink beer with that money. Or why not burn it up, would still be more fun and enjoyable.

True,

it is also not necessary to visit a Gogo Bar in real live, google images can do.laugh.png

Anyone could indeed save all vacation, and instead look at pictures on the internet.tongue.png

You guys want safety in Thailand? Then you pay for it....

For Thai people it doesn't matter if it's unsafe or messy/dirty. They don't know it any different.

And you guys also better learn Thai language or you'll have many problems.

"For Thai people it doesn't matter if it's unsafe or messy/dirty. They don't know it any different."

Much starts with this degenerating view on the own people. How then can one respect others? Aren't foreigners called "aliens" in Thai language?

'Alien' is not a term used exclusively by Thai authorities, and Iit's not derogatory.

I recall being an alien in Japan and Indonesia when living there, and Australia did use the term some years back, may still do so.

This will only bring in extra revenue for Thailand just like the 500 Baht leaving fee for leaving Thailand,which got swollowed up a few years ago !

Now they think everybody has forgotten' out comes the same old scam again,by a different name !

It's just another way to milk money from the tourist. Do you really think the money will go back to help tourism or go back into the general fund or should I say General pockets.

Given that the Junta will be gone relatively soon, your use of the word 'General' shines a spotlight on that big chip on your shoulder.

It won't go directly into anyone's 'pockets' like you suggest : It will simply add to the public coffers for any incumbent government to skim as and when the opportunity arises. And your dirty cronies were the best at that.

Unless of course you suggest if Pheu-Thai get in again, they will cancel the policy ? cheesy.gif

Edited by EnglishJohn

It's just another way to milk money from the tourist. Do you really think the money will go back to help tourism or go back into the general fund or should I say General pockets.

what "maintenance" are they talking about? the immigration people are government employees! and other than stamping my passport I don't see what else they do! just another thai scam, BUT the idiot tourist will pay it! gotta have the sex and booze no matter how much it costs!

If Thailand were to improve tourist sites in the first place .... perhaps more tourists may visit them, thus generating a considerable revenue in the area and for Thailand in general.

Tourist sites that charge an entrance fee already benefit with higher prices for tourists compared to locals.

Unfortunately the powers that be can't see anything of relevance..... only a legalised scam to extort more (from less) tourists.

One day ... just maybe ..... someone in power here will understand that for Thais, Thainess is part of the culture and that tourists are not Thai. Thus the stupidity, corruption, scamming, racism and bias that exists over here is not deemed "cute" by tourists. As a result, I can see with my own eyes, tourism is well into decline here. In fact I see that the current government is doing its utmost to hasten the demise, Thainess or fools?

Are they planning to just charge tourists? What about us long term visa holders returning "home"? Do we have to pay too?

There is no way in hell that the Immigration flunkies would think of discriminating between different farangs.

we are all seen a walking ATMs and all will be fair game.

Edited by saminoz

Tourists pay more than the Thailand people for visiting most places. THis is just another lazy

way to get the tourist dollars.

If Thailand wants more tourists, then let the ones who actually come to Thailand stay longer without

gouging them with visas if they want to stay more than thirty days. A lot of countries now

let visitors stay for up to 90 days with out needing a visa.

Stargeezer

Agree..i'd say most tourists come in on a 30day visa exempt stamp. So 360bht is a bloody cheap visa if wana look at it that way. Im sure i had to pay a small fee to leave the kingdom when i first started holidaying here, now i live here. Love everything about. All the Thai bashers on here complaining about everything that makes thailand what it is. Maybe should look at some hobbies to there. BYE CUP NAM ,i say.

If cant afford 360bht (more than a lot of peoples daily salary in thai). How can afford the holiday.

I thought this was on top of the recently increased visa charge [at cabinet level anyway] to 2000 baht.

Do some have this fee waived? Not sure...my employers deals with all my visa/work permit stuff.

Edit:

From the other thread on this story

"Commenting on the cabinet’s approval of the fee for visa on arrival from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht, the governor said this could affect tourists from China most, and tourism firms which have already sold out their tour packages in advance to customers."

Source: http://englishnews.t.../content/147709

Edited by Bluespunk

After reading the article, I am certain this is not at all a well thought out strategic plan.

Doesn't really matter what I think, the people will decide and vote by going where they want. Just wait for the results.

great idea. Why not make it 36,000 baht per tourist. I mean that's got to be better than just 360 baht. And how about finding other ways to monetize tourists. Taxing the air they breathe is useful because we all now how clean air is in short supply in Asia, and those tourists stealing all the clean air from thais.....maybe a "culture tax" to add on as well, whenever there's a need for protecting the thai culture from foreign influence. There's probably also merit for a "congestion tax" when the tourists come and take spaces in streets and restuarants which makes thais have to wait. tax them on that too. Tax tax tax tax

Edited by Time Traveller

I would like to see them enforce a requirement of proof that indivual tourist have an ongoing ticket out of the country and a minim of 6,000 baht a day to enter..Keeps out the riffraff.

You better stick with sanuk, Jim.

Why cant these Tourist places take care of their own business?

If they cant afford to "maintain" their business, then why the need for Tourists to fund them?

I stopped going to them with the family, because I dont appreciate being charged so high. (example: Floating Market Pattaya)

My family dont appreciate it either, so we just go elsewhere

Edited by thhMan

Ironic give that *maintenance* is not a concept Thais understand. Only when it breaks do Thais fix and/or replace it.

My guess is someone's mia noi needs a new Benz? And this person is not even smart enough to be discreet about it.