House for Sale Jomtien beach Anyone having same problems.

I have been trying to sell my property as my long term position has changed. Many agents have viewed my property and all agree the property is top quality construction and pricing fair value.

Here is my point: Agents make appointments and never show up, never ring to inform me what happen, and some agents bring prospective buyers, and some comment, the property does not suit their requirements. Why are they wasting every ones time. Some buyers view and you never hear another word. Shouldn't the agent phone back to inform you they bought somewhere else, or they didn't like the layout, anything! Not just no further contact.

Property is 300 meters to ocean side and in very secure village. What's the problem? Anyone with similar experiences. Or any suggestions where I'm going wrong.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most property is sold new or among family and by personal recommendations. Keep a sign outside and let neighbors know.

Sale of used property by agents is mostly fly by night - there just is not a market seen to support a professional operation. It is a two way street and up to now agents do not serve either buyer or seller better than the old look around for signs and ask locals approach in the minds of most.

Most property is sold new or among family and by personal recommendations. Keep a sign outside and let neighbors know.

Sale of used property by agents is mostly fly by night - there just is not a market seen to support a professional operation. It is a two way street and up to now agents do not serve either buyer or seller better than the old look around for signs and ask locals approach in the minds of most.

Thanks for your sound advice. I'll give it a go.

This will help as I can reduce the price as no exorbitant agent fees. 5% in Pattaya, Ouch!

Most agents here are useless. I've rarely seen such an incompetent, unprofessional and lazy bunch of time-wasters (except maybe in condo management).

If your property is nice and priced sensibly then you should market it yourself, as suggested.

Most agents here are useless. I've rarely seen such an incompetent, unprofessional and lazy bunch of time-wasters (except maybe in condo management).

If your property is nice and priced sensibly then you should market it yourself, as suggested.

I'll take on the suggestions: Here is the property and priced @ 20% below developers cost.

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/jomtien-beach/1791768

Put a sign on your gate and also advertise online, starting with Thaivisa.

Put signs out on the streets in the area as well.

If there are any stores in your area which have a bulletin board, put a sign up there.

Tell all friends in the neighborhood and elsewhere.

It is common to sell a house to another owner in the same neighborhood.

Try Craigslist Thailand, Thai Visa has a site to sell everything, Definitely a large sign on poles, maybe try an open house. Advertise in the local newspaper, stick up ads in supermarket bulletin boards, Print up a couple hundred or a thousand flyers with a map phone,email, fax address black and white or color pics on the house depending on your budget. Put under the windshield of cars in town, beach and again depending on your budget. If its an expensive house keep the price up and give away a free new motorbike or small car lots of ways just get the old grey matter working and be creative. Google property selling sites in Thailand. Be creative on the financing if you can afford to 25% down and take back a mortgage for the rest.

Thank you to all that replied with suggestions.

Better response than the agents.

That's 3% you owe us then. smile.png

Don't know where you live, in Pattaya the agents DEMAND 5%, and get this, Condo's give them 10 - 15%. So if anyone's buying a condo, ask for half his comm.....

so i went through 3 years trying to sell my house in pattaya. i tried several agents who were just a waste of time. i sold it for a cheap price on bahtnsold website eventually.not a good result but at least i got rid of it. i sold my other house for a good profit on bahtnsold as well. both sales no commission. hard time to sell with alot of competition from cheap condos that can be legally owned in a foreign name. for any newbies reading this. rent, rent , rent. at least for the first couple years.

I don't know how long you consider too long but selling real estate here in some cases takes years. You are not going to see anyone jumping on it at a fair price. Most agents don't get any feedback from their clients, I don't need to tell my agent the reason I don't like / want to buy a property. Not calling back to give you a feedback is completely normal unless it is your own agent showing to someone.

Sounds like you have high expectations.

Edited by shina

Whenever I've shopped for real estate I've basically just told agents, I don't like, want to see more places. No need to dwell on it. I remember once a place had a really smelly bathroom and I mentioned that but I'm sure the seller already knew that!

Edited by Jingthing

I live on the darkside, been here for about 8 years or so. I have not heard of any estate agents in or around our area that are highly talked of, I don't know of any that have proper qualifications like FRICS or FSVA, which leads me to wonder how you have arrived at a valuation of your property?

Having talked to a few estate agents around here I get the impression that they base their valuations on what you want to hear, rather than proper market knowledge.

Once you know what the value is then it is the time to try and sell, like the majority of people have recomended I would try and sell it privately.

The question is how to arrive at the valuation, remembering that value is an opinion, not a science. The best guide is what similar property in your imeadiate neighbourhood have sold for recently and how does your match up to those properties. Perhaps no similar properties have sold recently, well you need to start somewhere when making your valuation, start with the value of the land as a building plot and go upwards from there. Land cost plus build cost plus fixtures and fittings plus benefit of having a nicely finished house plus build quality etc.......

In the event that you do not want to sell it privately then the best solution is to shotgun it, by that I mean do not just give it to one estate agent, give it to several, get them all to give you their opinion of value (it is important that you do not tell them how much you think that it is worth, make them tell you) and then when you have had several opinions you can decide the asking price.

Good luck, I hope that you are trotting off to the land office to do the change of ownership in the very near future!!!

I live on the darkside, been here for about 8 years or so. I have not heard of any estate agents in or around our area that are highly talked of, I don't know of any that have proper qualifications like FRICS or FSVA, which leads me to wonder how you have arrived at a valuation of your property?

Having talked to a few estate agents around here I get the impression that they base their valuations on what you want to hear, rather than proper market knowledge.

Once you know what the value is then it is the time to try and sell, like the majority of people have recomended I would try and sell it privately.

The question is how to arrive at the valuation, remembering that value is an opinion, not a science. The best guide is what similar property in your imeadiate neighbourhood have sold for recently and how does your match up to those properties. Perhaps no similar properties have sold recently, well you need to start somewhere when making your valuation, start with the value of the land as a building plot and go upwards from there. Land cost plus build cost plus fixtures and fittings plus benefit of having a nicely finished house plus build quality etc.......

In the event that you do not want to sell it privately then the best solution is to shotgun it, by that I mean do not just give it to one estate agent, give it to several, get them all to give you their opinion of value (it is important that you do not tell them how much you think that it is worth, make them tell you) and then when you have had several opinions you can decide the asking price.

Good luck, I hope that you are trotting off to the land office to do the change of ownership in the very near future!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Valuation, the estate is still selling new villas, so on the current cost to rebuild, this is the valuation I am working on. But, I am offering it less than what I paid for it. It's a beautiful villa just 300 yds ocean side. I bought it as investment property. So for the past 6 odd years it has been rented out. I do not want to disclose any financial details on a forum, as you would appreciate. I have all the figures of profit over the years, etc.

Once again, to all the respondance, thanks.

Thank you to all that replied with suggestions.

Better response than the agents.

That's 3% you owe us then. smile.png

Don't know where you live, in Pattaya the agents DEMAND 5%, and get this, Condo's give them 10 - 15%. So if anyone's buying a condo, ask for half his comm.....

I assume you meant...New condo projects.

Agents I have met have all been useless in samui!!.

Don't turn up, turn up hours late with no call, call wanting to view in 5 minutes, bring people looking for seaview when villa is not, bring people to look at 2 bedroom when they want 3 bedroom plus, drive people to house and let you show them the villa and let you answer all the questions from customers !!

All this and they want 5-10 % commission !!

Nothing more than overpaid taxi drivers !!

Thanks for your sound advice. I'll give it a go.

This will help as I can reduce the price as no exorbitant agent fees. 5% in Pattaya, Ouch!

But be careful. Some agents have a clausul that if you sell property yourself or through other agent same time you have another or up to 3 months after your contract is broken with agent. You have to pay his cut as it was he himself who sold it.This clausul is there so it can cover their expenses.

Any grammatical errors are a gift from me to you

Edited by sead

My agent sold my condo in less than 2 weeks in Jomtien only charges 2.5% which is standard

I'd like his/her contact details.

By the way, standard Thai comm is 3%, but I'd be okay with your agent charging 2.5%. I won't argue....

I moved to Jomtien 13 years ago, the "standard" rate then was 3%....it has been my experience that 5% has been the norm for a good few years now in Jomtien, just the same as Pattaya. I suppose a local person who might know somebody looking for a property might be happy enough with 3% today.

My agent sold my condo in less than 2 weeks in Jomtien only charges 2.5% which is standard

I'd like his/her contact details.

By the way, standard Thai comm is 3%, but I'd be okay with your agent charging 2.5%. I won't argue....

I moved to Jomtien 13 years ago, the "standard" rate then was 3%....it has been my experience that 5% has been the norm for a good few years now in Jomtien, just the same as Pattaya. I suppose a local person who might know somebody looking for a property might be happy enough with 3% today.

I remember trying to sell my house some 6 years ago. The house was 2 years old. I had it priced just below what I paid for it - on the advice of my 'agent'.

I'll never forget the first Thai couple who came to view and liked it very much. They offered a ridiculous price which I obviously refused. They politely pointed out to me - and this is no bull..it, "You must remember the house is second-hand!".

That, to me, explained the Thai mentality. If it is second hand, it has to be sold at well below market price, except of course when they want to sell a car!

I did what some other posters have suggested. I dumped my agent and arranged for a local Thai woman to put it on the Thai internet. I sold it at my asking price, less her commission,

As I had bought it at 70 baht to the UK pound, and sold it at 59 baht I still made a profit in UK terms, even though profit was not my motive.

Whilst posting on this subject, I took my Thai wife to the UK and we had a day out in the Cotswolds. I showed her a large beautiful country house advert in the estate agents window for 600,000 pounds. It was 250 years old. I tried to explain to her that it may well have had 20 previous owners. and probably cost less than 1000 pounds when built. She couldn't grasp that.

That was 6 years ago, so it's almost certainly valued today at over 1 million.

The silence….not getting back etc…..It's an asian thing…it means no….they just can't bring themselves to say it …the face thing.

Wait till you advertise it on craigslist…..stupid questions will pour in even though you've covered it all off in your advert.

Cost of doing business in asia. Don't let it faze you. you'll go mad.