Alternating between passports

I am on a single entry tourist visa and will be going to India in a couple months to apply for another single entry visa. To avoid having back to back visas, I was planning on using my second passport for the next visa, but I then realized I have to get a visa for India first, and I imagine they will not issue a visa if I give them a passport that does not have a Thai entry stamp? Or would they? Also, I don't have any back to back visas in the passport I used for my most recent entry into Thailand, but I do have a couple from previous years.

I tried to get an Indian visa in my second passport a couple of years back, no joy sad.png

I suspect you'll have the same issue getting your Thai visa in India.

Best to go somewhere that needs no visa (Malaysia perhaps) so you can swap passports in the air.

• Like 1

I tried to get an Indian visa in my second passport a couple of years back, no joy sad.png

I suspect you'll have the same issue getting your Thai visa in India.

Best to go somewhere that needs no visa (Malaysia perhaps) so you can swap passports in the air.

Thanks, I've already booked my trip and am quite looking forward to it, so not eager to re-schedule. I am now thinking it might be okay to get another visa in the same passport since this will be the first back to back. Or how long would I have to stay there to get my status "reset"? I wouldn't necessarily mind staying there for a month or so.

Not sure why you are concerned about back to back tourist visas. Most embassies and consulates do not count visas from other ones only ones issued by them.

Thanks ubonjoe, I was not aware of this. I guess it will be okay then.

Basic International Passport law states that you must exit a country on the passport you entered on. Additionally you must disclose (if asked) by a immigration/immigration official if you have more than 1 passport.

If you try to leave Thailand on a different passport to the one you entered in on, you will be stopped, as the entry/exit cards will not align.

Basic International Passport law states that you must exit a country on the passport you entered on. Additionally you must disclose (if asked) by a immigration/immigration official if you have more than 1 passport.

If you try to leave Thailand on a different passport to the one you entered in on, you will be stopped, as the entry/exit cards will not align.

" Additionally you must disclose (if asked) by a immigration/immigration official if you have more than 1 passport. "

can you please provide an actual reference or source on which you base this astonishing claim? because this guy's advice is direct opposite

" Don’t Advertise Your Dual Nationality Otherwise

Yes, says the guy who is publicly blogging about dual citizenships to thousands of people right now. Broadly speaking, most governments worry about illegal immigration; which your second citizenship may actually be guilty of. Don’t tell passport control you’ve got two nationalities – even if asked. Doing so can forfeit your rights as a legal traveler. By the way, you’re not lying in this case either. No country in the world records dual citizen entries by tourists they only see you as a single national. "

http://foxnomad.com/2012/06/07/how-to-travel-with-two-passports-if-youre-a-dual-citizen/

Edited by Asiantravel

I am aware that I have to enter and exit on the same passport. What matters is that it is not possible get a visa (at least not for India) attached to my second passport (the one I did not enter Thailand on). I could have still exited on passport no. 1 and then entered India on the other one, had the aforementioned practice been allowed.

Also, I have never been asked if I have more than one passport, nor have I ever heard anyone being asked this (doesn't mean it never happens, but probably not too common).