Thai Min to construct bike lane mixed with rubber for 2,000 kms to promote tourism

webfact

Transport Ministry to construct bike lane mixed with rubber for 2,000 kms to promote tourism

AYUTTHAYA, 25 January 2016 (NNT) – Ayutthaya Provincial Office of Rural Roads Director Jiraphong Pinthabute disclosed that the department of Rural Roads will construct bike lanes covering a distance of 2,000 kilometers with a budget of over one billion baht to promote tourism. The project is scheduled for completion in 2017.

The construction project will start from Thammasat Rangsit University and run through the provinces of Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Sing Buri, and ends at the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat. The bike lanes will be separate from normal traffic lanes.

The Director of Ayutthaya Provincial Office of Rural Roads added that the construction design has been finalized. All road surfaces under this construction project will be mixed with rubber in keep with the government’s relief measures aimed at helping rubber farmers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-25 footer_n.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, tourists will flock to this new attraction for sure rolleyes.gif

What difference will it make separating the bike lanes from normal traffic lanes as in no time motorcyclists and vendors etc will be all over them and I hope no official assures that bike lane rules will be rigorously enforced as we all know what ' enforcement ' means here.

riding a bike is dumb!!!!!!

i have an 18 wheeler that puts out so much smoke i've given 13,935 people lung cancer.....before 7 am!!!

i have a massive beer gut and why would i want to be more fit????!!!

i don't care about living longer!!!!

endorphins are dumb!!!

i hate being social!!!

i want all the kids to get super fat so i can complain more!!!!

This I have to see. With people here who can't drive in the correct lane, bikes and cars going the wrong way, call me pessimistic but I can't see a lane being used for bikes only, The pedestrians can't even use the pavement for motorbikes on them. Also with u turns in the right hand side of the lane it will be interesting o see bikes getting over without getting killed. I think this idea has not been thought out properly.

This I have to see. With people here who can't drive in the correct lane, bikes and cars going the wrong way, call me pessimistic but I can't see a lane being used for bikes only, The pedestrians can't even use the pavement for motorbikes on them. Also with u turns in the right hand side of the lane it will be interesting o see bikes getting over without getting killed. I think this idea has not been thought out properly.

Sure it has been thought out very well. The rich guys with the expensive bicycles get their playground now and it's all "for tourists" who bring their bike to thailand.

Thai Air will have special deals if you bring your bike. wink.pngwink.png

It's awesome to bike in Thailand, soidogs everywhere, very humid and hot, mosquito's waiting for your sweaty body,it will be a great success! Tour de France is coming after it's finished.whistling.gif

Something not thought out properly, is that a first for LoS ? gigglem.gif

[emoji849][emoji848][emoji55][emoji106][emoji122][emoji123]

Thailand's tourism is built on legit and illegitimate sex trade and those kinds of tourists are not likely interested in spending their time on a bicycle out in the country. Some of them may be attracted to smelling the seats though.

They need to start taxing and regulating cyclists, it is becoming somewhat of an epidemic here.....they just waddle about all over the road no idea of single file or lane discipline, more than once i have come round a corner to find a group of them spread across the road taking selfies or comparing photos of each others bums!!

On Saturday, busy traffic day, on the way to Mapthaput, Rayong on the very narrow flyover, could not believe it one stopped their bike at either side of the carriageway taking pictures of each other, all the traffic standing on the brakes and peep peeping their horns but the two fools could not see the danger they were in......just stood there grinning like eejits, would not be surprised if they got squashed!!

Edited by LennyW

To ensure these lanes get proper attention and usage maybe a ' Bike For Someone or Something ' event could be organised on a very regular basis.

Presumably vendors will welcome increased business and the local residents won't object to traffic chaos, blocked roads and so on for the sake of happiness.

This military mind-set government just has zero imagination on how to create a massive demand for rubber. It would be better to task an international scientific community to find sustainable uses for Thai rubber.

For example, use of raw rubber and rubber seeds as fuel for electric power generation. In fact Virgin Gallatic's SpaceShip One was designed to burn a rubber-based fuel grain propellant and SpaceShip Two upgraded to a plasticized rubber-base propellant. Manufacture of the latter might also use discarded plastic bags as a bonus. Currently, there is technology to convert scrap rubber (Pat. US 3996022 A) into fuels comprising a naptha-like oil that Thai scientists can discover and perhaps use with raw rubber. Thailand could essentially turn its rubber plantations into oil wells.

Edited by Srikcir

this idea has not been thought out properly.

That proves it's a genuine Thai idea!

This military mind-set government just has zero imagination on how to create a massive demand for rubber. It would be better to task an international scientific community to find sustainable uses for Thai rubber.

For example, use of raw rubber and rubber seeds as fuel for electric power generation. In fact Virgin Gallatic's SpaceShip One was designed to burn a rubber-based fuel grain propellant and SpaceShip Two upgraded to a plasticized rubber-base propellant. Manufacture of the latter might also use discarded plastic bags as a bonus. Currently, there is technology to convert scrap rubber (Pat. US 3996022 A) into fuels comprising a naptha-like oil that Thai scientists can discover and perhaps use with raw rubber. Thailand could essentially turn its rubber plantations into oil wells.

Did your aluminum foil hat fall off?

It seems "the voices" are at it again.

They can make something but they will not look after it. It will be made on the cheap with a rubber surface over compacted red grit. It will soon melt and have potholes and within a year or so will have returned to nature.

Still , during its brief life it will at least have lined a few peoples pockets with something more spendsble than rubber.

Ah well ......at least this government has put populist policies where they belong ..... Back on the agendacoffee1.gif

Ah yes. Pratum thani is such a great tourist area. Factories and lawless motocy gangs racing these streets.

Use the money and fix the already crumbling tourist areas.

I spent a few weeks in Pathum Thani Insanity once.

The cops were writing tickets for folks stopping 6 inches past the white line at a traffic light.

About an hour later, the sun had gone down and the cops were gone.

A couple teenagers with an ambulance siren mounted in their lowrider truck came whizzing thru that same intersection hither and thither about a hundred times.

They need to start taxing and regulating cyclists, it is becoming somewhat of an epidemic here.....they just waddle about all over the road no idea of single file or lane discipline, more than once i have come round a corner to find a group of them spread across the road taking selfies or comparing photos of each others bums!!

On Saturday, busy traffic day, on the way to Mapthaput, Rayong on the very narrow flyover, could not believe it one stopped their bike at either side of the carriageway taking pictures of each other, all the traffic standing on the brakes and peep peeping their horns but the two fools could not see the danger they were in......just stood there grinning like eejits, would not be surprised if they got squashed!!

Quite the opposite. They should start providing tax credits to bike riders.

Good start to getting into a health mindset. I hope they follow through and also start looking at nutrition and organic food. Getting rid of all the horrible poly unsaturated and trans fats. I know a lot of you guys sitting on your bar stools with your beer bellies just want to bitch and complain and make fun of anything that the Thais do. Get a life.

that Thai scientists can discover

the flaw in your logic.

the rest of your ideas will work in the west. maybe as demand increases Thais an sell their rubber,

but to develop and use this technology? they can't even manage their own water supply.

It's awesome to bike in Thailand, soidogs everywhere, very humid and hot, mosquito's waiting for your sweaty body,it will be a great success!

I cycle almost every day in Thailand, weather is perfect for cycling.

Only problems are the car drivers who expect me to cycle on the side of the road.

No, I'm cycling down the center of my lane where the tarmac is nice and smooth, you can wait, and overtake like you would any other vehicle.

Never had a problem with mosquitoes, Soi dogs aren't a problem, a kick in the teeth as you pass sorts them out.

sh!t man they never let me get close enough to kick them in the teeth. Besides if they ever were a problem a club or a stick to whack them in the head would also be effective.

If they're not close enough to kick in the head, then they're not a problem thumbsup.gif