How does Thailand rank globally for corruption?

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it possibly be measured when so much is hidden?

Exactly...moreover, corruption is an everyday occurrence in the lives of most farang...I have to pay significantly more for everything from garbage collection to water...also, simply consider the corruption that is condoned outside government offices? Where I used to live, the condo association was permitted to embezzle more than 1 million baht in the span of 2 years...students pay for grades...employees pay kickbacks to bosses...elections are bought...the list goes on forever...

As mentioned earlier, one of these days the poor of Thailand may realize they are subsidizing the extravagant lives of the elite...

...corruption and injustice go hand in hand.....

...for someone to 'gain' unfairly....someone else must 'lose'.....

....and we know firsthand......from 100 to 1000 incidents a day.......

....corruption is corruption......it is a cancer......and none should be tolerated.....

...I refer to the school surveys they did when there was the 'teachers cheating in their exams scandal' a while back....

...around 89% of teachers......and students....said 'it is okay to cheat'......

...that is corruption.......and very high......

...as for 'corruption being reported'......figure it out......

....ruin your life...or even lose it...or be pursued or even prosecuted......

...a judge can go on a rampage and you have to shut your mouth and pretend it didn't happen.....

....billions in rice can be 'unaccounted for'....but you have to shut up or else.....

...the one that wanted to report an 'indiscretion' by someone 'most high'......was 'killed by his chauffeur for a gold chain.....

...we know the truth...they know the truth.....

...like 'all locals know what really happened...and who really did it.......but nobody will ever tell'......

...human rights organizations and leaders being prosecuted or simply disappearing

...so we just have to watch out for ourselves...and for the most part 'shut up'......

...at least let us be true to each other...and share as much as we can.....

...I have been cheated and slandered several times in my 13 years here....and little or no recourse....more so for a foreigner...

...I am hanging on for dear life as I have 2 children...and we are supposed to do all we can for our children...until we no longer can....

....I came here with open arms and trust....I had no idea what I was getting in to....

....'below 50'.... 'a 38'.... I guess in 6 out of 10 situations....corruption will prevail....

...for foreigners....we may have to adjust that figure...

....' a few boatloads of foreign fishermen mysteriously died of poisoning'....on their way to port....to get their pay.....

Thailand scored 38 points and was ranked in 76th position globally, just making it into the top 50 percent of countries. Although its level of corruption is certainly not the worst seen globally, the Kingdoms score suggests corruption among public institutions and employees is still common.

If I were Thailand I would protest, how will they ever become the hub of corruption with an anemic score like this, and no change from last year. Go Thailand Go!

"If I were Thailand I would protest, how will they ever become the hub of corruption with an anemic score like this, and no change from last year. Go Thailand Go! "

Haven't seen the rankings by country, but I assume that the corruption in Washington DC and Wall Street alone would eclipse the level of corruption in any ten "developing countries" combined.

In that light it does seem a little farcical that US Senators are permitted "Insider Trading"and any time questions about ending that are deferred. And the equivalent of the brown envelope would of course be the "lobbying" process.

But the differentiation of allowable versus clandenstine abuse of financial manipulations by whatever means depends on which way the finger is pointing first !

In isolation a society that historically has functioned following such practice can understandably be a little confused as to the definition applied of corruption. Comparatives by that general society are unknown and non comprehended.

In contrast a society that has historically boasted an absence of endemic corruption is also unlikely to accept it is a long way from squeaky clean.

Cultural diversity creates conflicts in perspective. Egalitarianism does not exist in any culture or nation. Corruption does.

One should first ask, "Who are the stakeholders in the creation of the NGO, Transparency International, and what 'perceptions', implicit, explicit or otherwise, do they seek to manage and for the benefit of whom?"

An analytical reader should really consider this before excepting the published ranking at 'face value', although I expect most readers will blindly parrot the results. C'est la vie.

Without even looking at the results, I expect:

Western nations - above reproach

Nations aligned to Western nations - good

Non-Western nations who challenge Western hegemony - really bad

Nations aligned to Non-Western nations who challenge Western hegemony - really bad

Resource-rich nations not aligned to Western strategic, geo-polictical policy - really bad

Resource-rich nations aligned to Non-Western nations who challenge Western hegemony - gawd awful

That's just based on knowing who the stakeholders of TI are. Just saying. Do your own research; draw your own conclusions. You're mileage may vary. Honestly, I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Nonsense. Shoot the messenger, by innuendo.

Your closing statement is also nonsensical, and ironic.

cheesy.gif

“I have great faith in fools - self-confidence my friends will call it.”

― Edgar Allan Poe

"Without even looking at the results, I expect"

"It is a tragedy of the world that no one knows what he doesn't know - the less a man knows, the more sure it is that he knows everything"

Joyce Cary

As interesting and entertaining as this Transparency International survey

is, I question whether it has any tangible or practical effect.

It is not as if an over-arching organisation like, for example, the

United Nations, can sanction any of the "below-par" countries whose names

are on the rap-sheet, to get them to "up" their game.

Clearly, naming and shaming, or moral suasion, is a lost cause. After all,

do politicians at the highest level take responsibility for their country's

moral rectitude, or otherwise? And, certainly, all of the citizens in

a particular country's society do not give a hoot; they are all riding their

own special gravy train, probably indulging in self-justification as to their

reasons for being corrupt.

This is why, in my opinion, one sees so little movement in any country's

position on the list, year on year. There is simply no incentive for anyone to

change their errant ways.

Although corruption is rampant in Thailand, Thailand fairs a lot better than many other countries, thing is Thailand is in a position to do something about it, if only 99% of the population would stand up to the corrupt 1%, it is not rocket science.

Thailand scored 38 points and was ranked in 76th position globally, just making it into the top 50 percent of countries. Although its level of corruption is certainly not the worst seen globally, the Kingdoms score suggests corruption among public institutions and employees is still common.

If I were Thailand I would protest, how will they ever become the hub of corruption with an anemic score like this, and no change from last year. Go Thailand Go!

"If I were Thailand I would protest, how will they ever become the hub of corruption with an anemic score like this, and no change from last year. Go Thailand Go! "

Haven't seen the rankings by country, but I assume that the corruption in Washington DC and Wall Street alone would eclipse the level of corruption in any ten "developing countries" combined.

"Sarbanes–Oxley" white wash

so a score of 0-100. 100 being a easy number. perfect score is 100%. am i right?

Thailand's score is 38. 38% of 100 is 38.

so that means they are 62% down from the top of the list.

or just 4.67% above the lower third.

but what percentage of the people inside the different countries are corrupt?

thinkin' Thailand would be near the top of that list.

And Singapore scored just 8, and should be 92% down the list?

Singapore got a score of 85 points out of a hundred, or 85%.

They ranked at number eight from the top when compared to other countries.

One should first ask, "Who are the stakeholders in the creation of the NGO, Transparency International, and what 'perceptions', implicit, explicit or otherwise, do they seek to manage and for the benefit of whom?"

An analytical reader should really consider this before excepting the published ranking at 'face value', although I expect most readers will blindly parrot the results. C'est la vie.

Nations aligned to Non-Western nations who challenge Western hegemony - really bad

Resource-rich nations not aligned to Western strategic, geo-polictical policy - really bad

Resource-rich nations aligned to Non-Western nations who challenge Western hegemony - gawd awful

That's just based on knowing who the stakeholders of TI are. Just saying. Do your own research; draw your own conclusions. You're mileage may vary. Honestly, I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

cheesy.gif

― Edgar Allan Poe

"It is a tragedy of the world that no one knows what he doesn't know - the less a man knows, the more sure it is that he knows everything"

Joyce Cary

Joyce Cary may have never had the opportunity to make a prediction based on prior knowledge and then corroborate the results to see if she hit the mark.

There is a vast different between being ignorant and acting as though you are knowledgeable (Cary's assertion), and being knowledgeable and using that knowledge as a focused lens to pierce the veil of ignorance.

I know who the stakeholders are in TI. The prediction was easy to discern and accurate based on TI's own data.

However, there is truth in Joyce Cary's quote, but simply not in the manner in which it was presented.

cheesy.gif

― Edgar Allan Poe

Joyce Cary

Joyce Cary may have never had the opportunity to make a prediction based on prior knowledge and then corroborate the results to see if she hit the mark.

There is a vast different between being ignorant and acting as though you are knowledgeable (Cary's assertion), and being knowledgeable and using that knowledge as a focused lens to pierce the veil of ignorance.

I know who the stakeholders are in TI. The prediction was easy to discern and accurate based on TI's own data.

However, there is truth in Joyce Cary's quote, but simply not in the manner in which it was presented.

You claim to know who the stakeholders are in TI. Do you know them personally?

More important, do you find fault with the methodology that TI uses to measure corruption? Do you have a better methodology? Can you give us a more credible measure?

I'm truly amazed that Thailand has achieved 38 and as high a ranking as they have...unless, of course, they've bribed their way up the table. Genuinely, based on the criteria stated at the end of the article, how the hell did they score so highly? Truly Amazing Thailand!

Thailand’s CPI for 2015 improves with the country being placed at 76th ranking

199-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s corruption perception index for 2015 has improved with the country being placed at 76th ranking out of 168 countries worldwide compared to 85th place recorded a year earlier.

Transparency International’s Thailand chapter secretary-general Dr Churee Vichitvadhakarn said that out of a total of 100 marks, Thailand scored 38 marks which are the same like 2014. The 76th ranking put Thailand in the third place after Malaysia and Singapore among Asean countries with Brunei excluding from the assessments.

Denmark ranks top for the second year running scoring 91 marks out of a total of 100.

Dr Churee pointed out that public awareness about corruption problem increased substantially last year with every sector of the society actively pushing and attempting to address the problem in earnest, particularly concerning public awareness.

The Information Act which enables the public to have access to official information, the draft constitution which is equipped with mechanism to fight corruption among others were intended to weed out corruption in sustainable fashion, said Dr Churee.

12648116_10153908639283637_1293650745_n.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148381

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-28

Thailand is in good company with such countries as Brazil, Burkina Faso, India and Zambia being in the same region in the list.

The worst one in SEA is apparently Cambodia which ranked 150, followed by Myanmar with 147.

Interesting to note, GNP for most SEA countries has been in the region 8.0 - 6.0 for most countries from 2012 to 2014, but Thailand's GNP has gone down dramatically from 7.3 in 2012, 2.8 in 2013 and 0.9 in 2014.

Edited by AlQaholic

This is grounds to sack the entire government from top to bottom. Start with Prayuth and Prawit. Their constant jawboning about the fight against corruption has been a dismal failure, and this is proof that they meant nothing they said, and are doing little to nothing in this so called fight. It is barely an arm wrestling competition. Feeble is the best way to describe the amount of fight these two men have in them. The only thing they truly fight for, on a daily basis, is a way to hang onto power and control. But, what do they do with that power and control? Anything to benefit their nation? Anything?

Thailand’s CPI for 2015 improves with the country being placed at 76th ranking

199-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s corruption perception index for 2015 has improved with the country being placed at 76th ranking out of 168 countries worldwide compared to 85th place recorded a year earlier.

This headline is misleading. Thailand's ranking may have changed but their score has remained the same. The only thing that has changed is there are now other countries more corrupt than Thailand.

So the people who watch PBS will believe there has been a reduction rather than reality, no change.

60,% of people in Thailand think that "corruption" is good to oil the wheels of business/government.... my guess is half the respondents don't even know corruption when the come across it...thy think it is normal.

Does the report take into account nepotism too?....or corruption when compiling stats

cheesy.gif

― Edgar Allan Poe

Joyce Cary

So then are you ignorant or acting as though you were knowledgeable in suggesting Joyce Cary was a woman?

How does Thailand rank globally for corruption? Very good since the Junta stamped it out completely first job on their list of good deeds and collected the entire corrupt crook’s money and are now looking after it for the bad ones. But only until the next free election.

Joyce Cary

More important, do you find fault with the methodology that TI uses to measure corruption? Do you have a better methodology? Can you give us a more credible measure?

Yes I do. Have you done your homework? You have not, have you? Your play is a fools play.

Do your research if you have the intellectual ability to do so. although I've my doubts.

I've done mine.

If you have something to say, say it, source it, and and then provide analysis. Otherwise? Troll elsewhere.

Yes I do. Have you done your homework? You have not, have you? Your play is a fools play.

Do your research if you have the intellectual ability to do so. although I've my doubts.

I've done mine.

If you have something to say, say it, source it, and and then provide analysis. Otherwise? Troll elsewhere.

More innuendo, and precious little substance. If you're going to impugn the motive of an organization, you're going to have to go beyond some vague notion of "I know who the stakeholders are in TI" but I'm not going to tell you...you have to do your own research. That is a vacuous argument.

I've done mine.

If you have a better methodology, then please share it with the world. You can start here.

You claim to have done your homework, but like most trolls you provide no evidence.

As far as intellectual ability, I have three degrees and a background in aerospace RDT&E. What do you have?

My source is Transparency International and their webpages explaining their methodology. I, and most of the rest of the world, find it credible. You have in no way given us a reason to believe otherwise. Instead you imply TI is untrustworthy for unexplained reasons.

You can't refute the message so you attack the messenger. That is the approach used by those whose intellectual quiver has no arrows.

Considering the junta said corruption was the #1 reason for them committing the coup, they have some serious humble pie eating to do.

Or perhaps, could it be possible, maybe, that the reason behind it was not corruption???????????????

Anyway be thankful the 'good' people are in control now! You know, the ones that aren't corrupt (Ratjaphak) & don't lie (there won't be a coup/ I won't give price supports).

Ranked 76th now and was 88th in 2013.

Which bit are you having trouble with ?. They can't do any better because the country is full of people with attitudes like yours.

What really proves it to the rest of us is how the park is a minor example in the scheme of Thai government corruption yet it is the only one you have so you use it again and again.

Nobody is denying the Junta are as corrupt as everyone else in Thailand - but they are a step up from the ridiculous free-for-all we saw from your dirty cronies - and who you strangely did not take any exception to. And I bet you don't even see your double standard.gigglem.gif

What a joke you people are, No wonder this country is a big mess and going nowhere.