BBC News off air on BTV Pattaya

mark131v

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I dont know I have just seen a long sermon from the Bishop of Cebu in the Philippines and to be honest it did not really help with my quest for daily news and everyone knows evangelical christians are slightly mad, it is still better than Faux news though...

So is it the BBC who have removed the service from these cable channels or is it Thailand that has blocked it?

I'm not that bothered as I can easily access it through other sources, and frankly, I prefer the BBC News Channel which is similar to BBC world news but carries more domestic news. I can also timeshift.

BBC is often very disappointing in its news coverage and if a major story breaks, we only get coverage of a single story. This happens over and over again. I don't know if it's laziness or just shoddy management. I accept that major stories should have the most time devoted to them but that doesn't mean they should totally exclude all the other news that's happening around the world. And often a news story goes on day after day, even when there are no updates. A good example is the disappearance of MH370 which the BBC covered almost to the exclusion of all other stories for weeks on end.

World news means world news - not just pick one or two stories and exclude all the others.

There is also a similar trend on BBC UK news. I read the other day that ex-newsreader Jan Leaming never watches BBC news anymore because it was full of 'mini-documentaries' rather than covering all the news around the country. In her day, she said they covered ten times more news items on a typical bulletin. I agree.

That's my take anyway.

RIP BBC World news, maybe it is time...

The source of the BBC World Service News Channel broadcast by a number of cable TV providers in Thailand is from Intelsat 8 at 166E which is / was free to air.

I checked the channel this morning, there was still a strong signal, it would appear that the channel is now scrambled.

This is the same satellite that used to broadcast Australia + TV until it recently changed satellites.

This morning I turned it on, some underlining was doing intro for Pope audience. I wondered "Why is BBC covering this? Pres of Iran converted?" Wish I had transcript... most foolish string of errors, unsubstaniated codswallop, bombasity I have heard since Trump or Cruz previous day. Whew

Fortunately back to BBC now.

Well, call it coincidence if you like, but 2 hours ago I sent a stinging email to BBC world Service complaining about the loss of transmission all over Thailand, and now it's back on...

I wouldn't think I'd had anything to do with it, if I hadn't contacted them many times in the past complaining about a break in service on the internet radio, and it always came back on within a few minutes of my email. The most common problem is when they block a sports programme due to rights issues, and then forget to unblock it when the event is over. It always makes me mad, and as soon as I send the email, it's back on...

I think it's mainly down to slipshod attention by engineers. Maybe they scrambled the world service by mistake.

I know... maybe better if it stays scrambled....smile.png

So is it the BBC who have removed the service from these cable channels or is it Thailand that has blocked it?

I'm not that bothered as I can easily access it through other sources, and frankly, I prefer the BBC News Channel which is similar to BBC world news but carries more domestic news. I can also timeshift.

BBC is often very disappointing in its news coverage and if a major story breaks, we only get coverage of a single story. This happens over and over again. I don't know if it's laziness or just shoddy management. I accept that major stories should have the most time devoted to them but that doesn't mean they should totally exclude all the other news that's happening around the world. And often a news story goes on day after day, even when there are no updates. A good example is the disappearance of MH370 which the BBC covered almost to the exclusion of all other stories for weeks on end.

World news means world news - not just pick one or two stories and exclude all the others.

There is also a similar trend on BBC UK news. I read the other day that ex-newsreader Jan Leaming never watches BBC news anymore because it was full of 'mini-documentaries' rather than covering all the news around the country. In her day, she said they covered ten times more news items on a typical bulletin. I agree.

That's my take anyway.

RIP BBC World news, maybe it is time...

Mobi

Good post. I suspect you have the Expats TV, which can deliver all the news channels. The best, by far in my view for UK news, is Channel 4 at 7pm UK, which I watch on catch up.

As for the BBC, the World Service has slowly gone down the tubes over the years. It's had major budget cuts and tends,as you say, to cover 'mildly interesting' news stories ad infinitum. If you are watching during the morning, or early afternoon in Thailand, then the BBC service is running on a skeleton night staff basis. SKY can also be like that, particularly if they have an 'exclusive' report from a correspondent. I suppose if you pay someone to go to, say, the Central African Republic and they then file a story on corruption, it needs to be shown to justify the costs, but I would not consider that to be a world news lead. But then, I don't live in the CAR.

The death of David Bowie was, in my humble opinion, covered to a ridiculous level, with the TV showing dozens of 'tweets' from all sorts of people. This didn't happen on radio.

In my humble view, radio is still the best for news. The BBC Radio 4 today programme, starting at 1pm in Thailand is something I listen to every day if possible.

The difference of course is that TV consider a story to be 'major' if they have dramatic or exclusive footage, whereas radio uses a better and more sensible criteria.

Is this the news channel that has almost no news content, but runs promos of their own shows 24/7.

I gave up watching after I noticed I know Hard Talk promo word to word. But the Business Hour host guy is clearly on some excellent uppers, his twiching is kinda funny to observe.

Seems business news anchor needs to be semi psychotic no matter what channel, CNN has this unstable British guy doing funny voices and grins like a lunatic.

Man if you watch CTH cable they are one screwed up network. Changing programs all the time. The other night they had at least 5 channels playing the same program. I don't usually watch at lot of tv only a night in bed to catch a bit of news and maybe the odd movie. I got a portable hard drive with ton of movies I haven't even watched yet but I did watch the 5 seasons of Game of Thrones. Now have wait for season 6.

Sometimes when you get to the stream of the page you show you're not in England. Click hola smile and there then click one more time to fix. Sometimes, it takes more times until It find some ip. and then put F5 reload on the bbc site stream... after it will work. but I was watching on my laptop just fine at the poor internet connection in Pattaya...thumbsup.gif

http://hola.org/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl

Archived