Thai man ran up to me shouting and screening, then told me to go <deleted> myself

karl2007

Been living in the same apartment for a long time and I always use the same soi to get home. Its a long soi and takes less then 10 minutes to get to the end to where I live, and I walk fast. It has apartments either side and is generally quite and piece full. I normally return home about 7:30 each evening.

The other evening walking back from work about a 3rd of the way down a Thai man in his late 20s jumped out in front of me with his arms extended blocking me from moving forward, I tried to walk around him and he moves in front of me trying to block me again and constantly shouting and screening at me in a very aggressive tone "what your name!!" in Thai language. He had a smile on his face like he was enjoying this. I manage to get in front of him then he keeps grabbing my arm trying to pull me back, I wave my arm away to get him to let go. Then he grabs my arm again trying to pull me back again. All the time shouting and screening me at me. I walk around some park cars to get away from him, then he is in front of me again and this time he is shouting "F... you!!" at me. I get this feeling he is getting ready to punch me. Then he stops and walks back down the soi and I just keeping on walking to get back home. I felt very scared at that time as he seemed to be out of control and very aggressive and I was getting ready for him to just attack me. There are some security guards that noticed this and some people in their shops came out to see what the noise was all about. I didn't see any one with him at the time, but then I was only looking to try and get out of there. I never said anything to him and just trying to avoid him.

I don't remember having seen him before. He had short black hair, goatee beard, black heavy metal t-shirt, tattoos on his arms. He looked like he was dressed relatively smart and didn't seem drunk. So definitely not a homeless person. Shorter and fatter then me.

I go boxing every week and so lots of sparing in the ring so I am sure I can successfully defend myself against him in a fair fight, as he seemed out of shape. But fair in Thailand has another definition which means turning up with 5 other guys armed to the teeth with an assortment of deadly weapons and hitting me until I am no longer breathing.

I told me my wife about this when I got back, she suggested going to the police station which is only 5 minutes away. I said the police wouldn't be interested and if they are it could make the matter even worse if I was to see him again afterwards.

I have decided now to use another soi to get home which is longer and less convient. But I am worried if I use the same soi again and see him would he try and take it to the next level or would he do the same as before? I will use this different soi and maybe in a few weeks go my normal route again and hopefully he might have forgotten all about me.

It was a scary situation as he seemed just out of control and aggressive and maybe just looking for a fight.

As anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Edited by karl2007

Maybe it's the Crazy Judge's brother.....

I would make a police report.Get a copy of it so if you ever end up having to deck him you have some proof he has bothered you before. Next time have your wife meet you and walk with you a few times.

Edited by NickJ

You dont mention if you can speak Thai ?, you did mention he asked your name so maybe you understand a little.

Anyway, there are a number of possibilities here (assuming you dont understand Thai fully).

He could have been trying to warn you about something and stop you going further ? another nutter who really was going to try and kill you.

May be he was a tuk-tuk driver and wanted to take you to a Tailors or Massage place

May be he mistook you for someone else (we all look the same to them)

May be he wanted/needed your help with something

May be he was high as a kite

Why must everyone assume their is a threat ? from what you describe, it went on long enough, and persistent, that if he had intended you harm it would have happened, not ending in just him walking off.

If it was me, I would get the wife, and go look for him and find out what the "real" story is and not assume anything until you know the facts, as it seems you are just assuming bad intentions. But hey, I wasnt there, didnt experiemce it, so if thats how you read the situation, so be it. Its just adrenalin and being on your own, unable to communicate, "it could" have been something else going on.

Edited by RolandRat

You dont mention if you can speak Thai ?, you did mention he asked your name so maybe you understand a little.

Anyway, there are a number of possibilities here (assuming you dont understand Thai fully).

He could have been trying to warn you about something and stop you going further ? another nutter who really was going to try and kill you.

May be he was a tuk-tuk driver and wanted to take you to a Tailors or Massage place

Why must everyone assume their is a threat ? from what you describe, it went on long enough, and persistent, that if he had intended you harm it would have happened, not ending in just him walking off.

If it was me, I would get the wife, and go look for him and find out what the "real" story is and not assume anything until you know the facts, as it seems you are just assuming bad intentions. But hey, I wasnt there, didnt experiemce it, so if thats how you read the situation, so be it. Its just adrenalin and being on your own, unable to communicate, "it could" have been something else going on.

The US vs Them mentality here, thinking all Thais are out to get us.

Though a crazy guy screaming at me blocking me would also put me on the defensive.

Not only do encounters like this happen here.

I have seen similar encounters in the UK.

Forget about it. He did not touch/harm you.

Just put it down to someone having a bad day.

Er, yes he did.

I manage to get in front of him then he keeps grabbing my arm trying to pull me back, I wave my arm away to get him to let go. Then he grabs my arm again trying to pull me back again.

Why must everyone assume their is a threat ?

I assumed it because the OP felt threatened. Doubt he would have felt like that if the guy was trying to ask for help.

Edited by Rob13

I agree with Rob, the guy is a yabba freak. Only I would say just ignore it.

If it was Yabba you did the right thing walking away , i have dealt with a yabba head, they are very strong and violent, even thought they probably have not taken tablet it could

have been a flash back, You did the right thing, just Ignore it he probably would not remember the indecent anyway.

Edited by Thongkorn

I doubt the police will care. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago but the guy actually hit me. I ran away, to the police station. The had no interest at all in looking into it. If I had told them there was a new flavor of chips at 7-11 they'd have been more interested.

I doubt the police will care. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago but the guy actually hit me. I ran away, to the police station. The had no interest at all in looking into it. If I had told them there was a new flavor of chips at 7-11 they'd have been more interested.

Going to the police lays a self-defense groundwork for when he gets into it with the guy again and sticks a knife in him.

Edited by Rob13