Grass for cattle

Allgeier

Grass for cattle under 6 Month.

This is my Question. What kind of grass for a cattle under 6 month.

I have already on a half rai Nephiergras and now its the question if i plant on the another half rai also Nephiergras or somethink else.

Here is a Link for the differant kind of grass in Thailand.

http://www.thailivestock.com/category/cattle-handling/%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%8C

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would firstly bore a 10mm hole threw their noses with a sharp stick to allow a rope to guide them rather than a rope around the neck.

Then take them for a walk to see what they like.

I'm sure napier grass will be fine but i liked to give mine a lick of molasses to increase their dry feed eating ability for this time of year if you have

to feed rice straw stubble.

They like all grasses,i had guiniea and lucy and could not cut it quick enough to keep it up.

That was a few years ago,i don't have cows now.

I would be careful about feeding a lot of grass to young cattle ,problem is they rumen is not fully developed to digest a lot of grass ,and you end up with pot bellied cattle that do not grow, feed a bit of rice straw as well ,helps to develop the rumen ,when they get to 7-8 moths old ,the can eat more grass..also Napier is a close relative of sorghum ,if used as an only feed could get nitrate poisoning ,but if made in to silage this problem is reduced ,or fed with other grasses/roughages . nb

Half a rie of Napier grass is a lot of grass for 2 young cattle ,Napier grass needs to be cut every 45 -55 days ,any latter it gets too steamy cattle will not eat it ,or you get the above problem ,you could make it into silage ,using large plastic bags ,and old 50 kg feed sacks ,silage will keep a long time I make nappier grass silage and have kept it for over 6 months and rats do not like Napier grass silage unlike maize silage which rats like, also cattle can eat more silage ,than grass without getting to pot bellied .

For grass seed have a word with Michael Hare at Ubon Forage Seed, Google it , he will recommend a grass variety for you ,he does not like Napier grass ,gets too steamy and needs feeding up 300 units of urea a year ,I put a lot of cow manure on mine ,plus urea ,it is not my main choice of grass ,but we have limited land ,and Nappier work well for us ,last year ,being a very dry year we still made about 8 ton of silage from about 1 1/2 rie from 3 cuts .,hope to make some more next week ,good stand by for the dry season.

From your grass seed list Paspalum Atratum ,is a good grass ,drought tolerant ,but if it get to old cattle will not eat it ,gets very unpalatable ,Hamata and Centrosema ,as you know are legumes, grown on they own ,can cause bloat in cattle if in the very young and leaf stage ,good when mixed with other grass varieties, star grass is a weed grass ,if you walk across a rough grass field feet get tangled in a grass ,that will probably be star grass, some of the other grass varieties are new to me .

I would firstly bore a 10mm hole threw their noses with a sharp stick to allow a rope to guide them rather than a rope around the neck.

I'm sure napier grass will be fine but i liked to give mine a lick of molasses to increase their dry feed eating ability for this time of year if you have

They like all grasses,i had guiniea and lucy and could not cut it quick enough to keep it up.

There are 1 and 2 Month old. There not to young to bore a hole through the nose? For walking with the cow i have no time. There get already some molasses on the dry feed.

kickstart:

The Milkpowder cost 80 Bath/kg. For this the young cattle must start early to eat gras or somethink else. I cant feed them with milkpowder for 6 Month.

The rumen should be ready with 8 - 10 weeks so to eat grass and commercial feed.

There are some feeding programm on the web how to feed the bull calves from the Holsten Friesien. And there need early high protein to bring them on weight.

better have more grass then need then not have enough grass. This with the silage will be also a try. But first i need this plastikbag.. If i have to mutch grass i can use it for mulching too.

When i read the nutrions from the hamata. This sounds not so bad. Somebody tryed this?

Normaly everybody plant only, this purple guine , luzy grass or the Nephier. But nobody the hamata.

For sow's there will be also grass part of the feed.

I planted the last days sunn hemp on the field. This gives me now a couple of weeks time to find out what kind of grass will be there. Hamata???

There are 1 and 2 Month old. There not to young to bore a hole through the nose? For walking with the cow i have no time. There get already some molasses on the dry feed.

kickstart:

The Milkpowder cost 80 Bath/kg. For this the young cattle must start early to eat gras or somethink else. I cant feed them with milkpowder for 6 Month.

The rumen should be ready with 8 - 10 weeks so to eat grass and commercial feed.

There are some feeding programm on the web how to feed the bull calves from the Holsten Friesien. And there need early high protein to bring them on weight.

better have more grass then need then not have enough grass. This with the silage will be also a try. But first i need this plastikbag.. If i have to mutch grass i can use it for mulching too.

When i read the nutrions from the hamata. This sounds not so bad. Somebody tryed this?

Normaly everybody plant only, this purple guine , luzy grass or the Nephier. But nobody the hamata.

For sow's there will be also grass part of the feed.

I planted the last days sunn hemp on the field. This gives me now a couple of weeks time to find out what kind of grass will be there. Hamata???

I use to rear calves mainly dairy and some Hereford x ,I use to wean them off at 45-50 days ,when they are cuddling and eating about 7-800 grams of calf concentrate a day ,for this to work calves need calf concentrate and clean straw and water available from 7 days old.

I know the Thai way is wean the calf at 3-3 1/2 months old ,not feeding calf food until the calf is at least 1 month old ,some say feed it any earlier chickens and dogs will eat the calf food, they seam to think calves will eat food like a cow ,eat it at one go ,which they will not do ,like a young child eat little and often, and they will not offer water ad-lib

You looked at the web and found calves need a high protein diet to bring them on,for that you need to buy calf starter feed ,available in Thailand ,not cheap CP make it ,a 10 kg bag is about 180 Bart 18 % protein ,best to feed this up to 3 months ,then go on to a cheaper 14-16 % ration ,if the forage is of a high quality ,you can feed a 14 % concentrate ,but if the forage is low quality i.e. rice straw ,you will need a 16 % concentrate .

As for feeding grass to calves' 10 week s to young ,even if it is high quality high protein grass ,it will make them scour ,rumen not developed enough to digest the grass ,need some rice straw ,long fibre ,to help develop the rumen and aid digestion ,add -lib is best .

For Hamata seed try your local DLD office ,กรมปศุส้ตว์ in Thai they should be able to order some seed for you .Hamata being a legume is a high protein 12% plus when young and lush ,we have grown it ,but it was in a very wet year and died out ,to wet ,likes well drained soil, to do well ,can be swamped out if grown with other grasses ,and not right conditions

You are right about Thai's only sowing Purple Guine and Luzy ,round here it is nearly all luzy ,one of those Thai things ,been doing it this way for the past xxxx years ,why change now .

You said over in the cassava thread you have dried cassava leafs, a good feed at 25 % protein ,when calves are 4 months old ,can introduce some .

For plastic bags for silage mine come from Pack chon ,near Korat ,I see if I can get the phone number ,from my local supplier.

Both calves stay now in one box. There can eat rice straw, grass and water to "add-lib"

From my feed supplier i got a formula about cattle feed. if i mix by my self it will cost about 8 Bath/ kg with 17 % Protein. If you think why its so cheap, because i replaced the dryed cassava with washed cassava skin from the cassva fabrik. And this cassava skin cost only 150 Bath/to, but wet. i dry et and i get less than 50 %.

i count it with 1 Bath/kg in my formula.

The rest is palmkernmeal, Gratin, Sojamal. Calcium, Mineral, Vitamin , Salt, Molasses.

I have them now for 2 weeks and the calve with 2 Month i can see he got now more meat on the back. The small one still drink milk and i think i must wait he is ready to start the "real" food.

This is new for me but for the beginning it looks not so bad.

The dried cassava leaf is a good idea. But takes a lot of time. I am not sure if i make it again. On facebook somebody selling pellets from cassava leaf for 8 Bath/.kg around Surin.

I got so many leaf because from the pighouse cleaning water. But this make also the stem so big.

I pump now the cleaning water inside the Nephiergras and there like it. The color from the gras is real dark green. Healthy colour.

• 2 weeks later...

Both calves stay now in one box. There can eat rice straw, grass and water to "add-lib"

From my feed supplier i got a formula about cattle feed. if i mix by my self it will cost about 8 Bath/ kg with 17 % Protein. If you think why its so cheap, because i replaced the dryed cassava with washed cassava skin from the cassva fabrik. And this cassava skin cost only 150 Bath/to, but wet. i dry et and i get less than 50 %.

i count it with 1 Bath/kg in my formula.

The rest is palmkernmeal, Gratin, Sojamal. Calcium, Mineral, Vitamin , Salt, Molasses.

I have them now for 2 weeks and the calve with 2 Month i can see he got now more meat on the back. The small one still drink milk and i think i must wait he is ready to start the "real" food.

This is new for me but for the beginning it looks not so bad.

The dried cassava leaf is a good idea. But takes a lot of time. I am not sure if i make it again. On facebook somebody selling pellets from cassava leaf for 8 Bath/.kg around Surin.

I got so many leaf because from the pighouse cleaning water. But this make also the stem so big.

I pump now the cleaning water inside the Nephiergras and there like it. The color from the gras is real dark green. Healthy colour.

The Napier grass from the photo is far too old to be of any beneit for young cattle. Looks like sugar cane. Fibrous with low protein. The Purple guinea on the other hand does look fairly lush despite the appearance oif seed heads. Seed heads are can indication of advancing maturity. That is, low crude protein. low fibre, low digestibility, resulting in low weight gain.

If I was you, I would plant Mombasa guinea grass and graze or cut every 35-45 days and also plant a forage legume Ubon stylo. Do not get into the habit of buying in concentrate feeds. A sure pathway to poventy. Fat cattle eating concentrate feeds are not always economical. Grass-fed cattle are economical in Thailand, but then you have to know how to manage your grass which is not easy.

Thank you Michael Hare for the Mombasa Grass.

The Naphier gras is now 4 Month old after planting. Old or not. This is what i have now. And if i watch the small calve i can see how there grow.

i visited now maybe 5 or 6 small milkfarm. And not one feeding fresh grass to to cows. There are alternatives to grass.

The Photo from the Purple i took maybe 2 Years ago to show why the name is "Purple Guinea".

The Naphier gras is now 4 Month old after planting. Old or not. This is what i have now. And if i watch the small calve i can see how there grow.

i visited now maybe 5 or 6 small milkfarm. And not one feeding fresh grass to to cows. There are alternatives to grass.

The Photo from the Purple i took maybe 2 Years ago to show why the name is "Purple Guinea".

So what are the other farmers feeding? Concentrate only?

So what are the other farmers feeding? Concentrate only?

- straw,

- sillage from gras ( but buy it in bag)

- cassava waste

- concentrate feed

For me it's look like easy to feed a milkcow. Maybe i miss a part.

Which Grass will be good feed to sow?

http://www.tropseeds.com/varieties/

After reading more Information about this Mombasa Grass i see that its need a nursery. Many Years a ago i made this with Purple Guines. i could see the ant carry the seed away. . And also the replanting after. In my eyes better the Ruccigrass or a grass what not need a nursery.

The Ubon stylo is maybe a addition to the Naphiergras.

I might be wrong but i think the stylo is a perrenial legume,which in this case is the only one i've heard of in thailand.

Hi FJ

Stylo is a perennial legume ,and Hamata is another one ,You wrote a while ago about Red Clover ,just wish it could would grow is LOS ,far to hot ,would have thought Lucerne would grow here, I would like to try Pidgin pea ,can get the seed ,some ? Land Developing offices have had the seed ,would make good silage ,or if possible good hay .

@ Allgeier ,feeding a dairy cow in Thailand is almost mission impossible ,main forage is rice straw ,low protein 4% , and low every thing else ,best to feed to young calves only .

Feed company's make a 16% concentrate ,ok ,but the energy is low ,I asked a feed company rep why is the energy value so low in Thai concentrate ,he said cost make a high energy concentrate would cost to much ,no one would buy it CP are making a new feed 16% protein which seems good ,but at 12 Bart/kg a bit to expensive for most dairy farmers ,with milk at 18 Brat/kg ,at the farm gate .

Other feed brewer's grains ,a good feed ,then Gut-Mun ,cassava waist cheap ,but big problems ,about Christmas time ,50 cow died on a farm in Prachuap province ,cause was to much Gut - Ethanol , cassava waist mixed with molasses and yeast ,by product of the ethanol industry ,caused rumen acidosis, of which they is no cure in bad cases .some famers feed to much concentrates, and that gives the cows rumen acidosis ,you end up with a fat cow that is to fat to get in calf ,but you get a good price selling a fat cow on to the beef market.

Average milk yield is about 12-14 Litres/cow/day .best guy in our area does 18-19 litres/cow/day ,he has just over an out brake of foot and mouth disease .

With the poor diet and poor management ,nearly all the cows suffer from an infertility problem .

Most farmers buy in every thing ,to do with feed , how they make money I do not know .

Feeding a dairy cow is a science, a science nearly all dairy farmers in LOS do not have .

Hi rice.

That hydroponics jogged my memory ,when I was at college we visited a dairy farm that feed his cows on a hydroponic system but he used wheat ,and not barley like the guy in the video ,this was 30 years ago ,when hydroponics where just getting going ,what I can remember a similar system ,may be then , not the very controlled environment technology of today . but it worked.

Thinking .I think it would work here in Thailand ,but using rice ,protein would be about the same, as wheat a farmer with his 15-20 cows ,family labour , initial cost would not that high ,a mushroom type shed ,water ,you would have to buy in the rice seed ,if milk increased a few litres a day it would pay for itself ,and more importantly if it helped the very poor infertility problem in Thai cows ,it would soon pay for itself .

Just showed the video to the misses ,she soon dismissed the idea ,she would ,wouldn't she.

I saw this hydroponic system at India some time ago on YouTube.

I like the idea, but I'm quite unsure about the cost/benefit. How much protein/concentrate feed you could buy for the initial and running costs of such a system.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose it, just thinking it is not economically

I saw this hydroponic system at India some time ago on YouTube.

I like the idea, but I'm quite unsure about the cost/benefit. How much protein/concentrate feed you could buy for the initial and running costs of such a system.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose it, just thinking it is not economically

As I said if it was done in with good management you might be able to cut back on concentrate, the main source of roughage in Thailand for dairy cows is rice straw ,which at its best is 4% protein ,low TDN/ME, a measurement for energy value of a food, also low in minerals and vitamins .

If you use rice in the system ,the protein should be about 10-12 %, for freshly calved cows ,they will need the protein/concentrate ,to produce milk and to ,maintain fertility ,to get back in calf .the system would suit them well.

A lot of farmers only milking cows can make money ,ok but when you have all the calves, bulling heifers, in calf heifers ,and dry cows ,here in Thailand they have to be feed as grass is not available most of the time ,which normally means feeding expensive concentrate ,as most dairy farms have a lot more dry stock than milking stock ,those milking cows will have to pay for the feed for the rest of the herd ,plus the owner , plus the bank/new pickup .

If this system works could cut back on concentrate ,and provide a high quality roughage for the cows ,you could do well.

But as you said ,it will be one of those enterprises that would need good budgeting and managements ,to make it work ,

At this time rice straw is 25 Bart/bale ,when they is a shortage ,July/August it can go up to 40 Bart plus ,expensive for a poor quality food ,then a hydroponic system would pay for itself .

Which Grass will be good feed to sow?

http://www.tropseeds.com/varieties/

After reading more Information about this Mombasa Grass i see that its need a nursery.

No need for a nursery. Can broadcast or sow in rows like Ruzi, but no need to sow deep because the seed is small. Sow on the surface and then brush the soil with a branch. Some farmers sow in a nursery so that they can transplant the young plants at a regular spacing for cut-and-carry. It's like rice, you can do a nursery or sow direct. You can do a nursery with Ruzi, if you want. You can buy Mombasa seed here: www.phetubon.com

The Naphier gras is now 4 Month old after planting.

Like Michael said, that Napier grass is too old for feeding cows. Protein will be about 5%. It will be good for making biofuel! Cut it every 30 - 35 days and it will have much higher protein. The protein is in the leaves, not the woody stems. Mombassa is better - it does not produce a woody stem. It produces more leaves; and a lot more than Purple Guinea. The seed is cheap. Much easier to sow Mombasa seed than plant Napier cuttings.

Feed company's make a 16% concentrate ,ok ,but the energy is low ,I asked a feed company rep why is the energy value so low in Thai concentrate ,he said cost make a high energy concentrate would cost to much ,no one would buy it CP are making a new feed 16% protein which seems good ,but at 12 Bart/kg a bit to expensive for most dairy farmers ,with milk at 18 Brat/kg ,at the farm gate .

Hi Kickstart,

How did you find out about the energy in the concentrate - is it written on the bag or did you get it tested?

Thanks.

JB.

Like Michael said, that Napier grass is too old for feeding cows. Protein will be about 5%. It will be good for making biofuel! Cut it every 30 - 35 days and it will have much higher protein. The protein is in the leaves, not the woody stems. Mombassa is better - it does not produce a woody stem. It produces more leaves; and a lot more than Purple Guinea. The seed is cheap. Much easier to sow Mombasa seed than plant Napier cuttings.

Thank you for the answer. This is normaly not this what i like to read but you are maybe right. Maybe i use more from the Naphier for mulching and i get more young leaves again.

I think more on this Ubon Stylo.

http://www.phetubon.com/products-en.htm

There write on the website that is possible to feed to the pig. This is normaly also one think i need.

What about this:

Young grass from the Napier and the Ubon Stylo.

But on youtube and another website there cutting all Naphiergrass with 4 m high. If it's so bad. Why there use it? Or if there make sillage it's increase the protein?

Ok. I upgraded my knowledge on feedipedia about the Nephiergras.

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/395

Michael Hara and the JungleBiker are right. The Nephiergras should not be higher than 1 Meter - 1,20 Meter. To get the best Nutrions out of them.

In my Situation i will cut not the young Leaves for the animal and the old stem i will use for mulching.

I must say Thank you again to show me the right way to manage the grass.

Hi Kickstart,

How did you find out about the energy in the concentrate - is it written on the bag or did you get it tested?

Thanks.

JB.

Some years ago I took some Thai concentrate back to the uk ,sent it to a lab for testing , 2 samples ,both had the protein of a 16 % concentrate, of 16 % ,but the ME ,energy value was 10.8 on one sample ,and if I remember right 11.2 on the other sample ,Calcium and phoshres low ,and the ash was higher than average .

Also just look at the cows ,a lot do not have a lactation curve, just a flat line with no peak yield ,but the biggest problem due an enrage diffident diet is trying to get 1st lactation heifers back in calf ,farmers do not understand why a heifer can get in calf 1st or 2ed service and 1st lactation heifers take 5,6,7, services to get back in calf .

A maiden heifer is not doing anything ,not working ,ie producing milk ,just eating ,a 1st lactation heifer is working to produce milk and needs an extra 20% more energy than a 4-5 lactation cow ,the reason is for growth ,your heifer ,may be only half grown ,needs the extra energy for growth ,but at the same time she is milking, which is ok ,probably not giving more than 12-14 liters a day depending on diet .

But the problem is fertility ,or lack of ,she probably suffering from small infertile ovaries, making it difficult to get in calf ,look at any cow textbook ,it will say ,small ovaries is caused by an energy deficient diet .

A guy near me feeds his cows some 16% concentrate ,plus about 1-1 1/2 kg of soya bean meal /day ,he said most of his cows come on heat 60 days after calving ,which is good for Thailand, ,at 25 Bart/kg for SBM not cheap ,but he said it payed ,the SBM is 44% protein and about 13.5 ME .

But the biggest problem is forage , especially rice straw , and most of the forage crops ,Thai's think quantity, not quality ,a lot are like our Allgeier's Napier grass 4 month old protein 4% ? ME ,same as rice straw ,feed that to cows they will reject 60% , too tough to eat ,same with sorghum .and most grasses ,to old to be of any use .

This will also apply beef rations ,they have been a lot of past post about members trying to fatten cattle on feedlots ,and not succeeding ,a lot of the problem is breed of cattle ,but the biggest problem trying to provide a good ration for fattening cattle ,that is high in energy ,protein is not so much of a problem ,a 14%-16% protein diet is not difficult to produce ,but to produce a high energy ration ,that is also cost efferent not easy ,

Thank you for the answer. This is normaly not this what i like to read but you are maybe right. Maybe i use more from the Naphier for mulching and i get more young leaves again.

I think more on this Ubon Stylo.

http://www.phetubon.com/products-en.htm

There write on the website that is possible to feed to the pig. This is normaly also one think i need.

What about this:

Young grass from the Napier and the Ubon Stylo.

But on youtube and another website there cutting all Naphiergrass with 4 m high. If it's so bad. Why there use it? Or if there make sillage it's increase the protein?

That is a big misconception,you must have got it from a Thai ,making silage does not increase the protein of a grass in fact ,depending on the silage making method/technique/storage , it decreases the protein , and it will certainly decrease the energy and the D- valve, = 's digestibility value of the grass silage, fresh grass has a higher feed value than silage .

I have seen the YouTube videos to ,some of the grasses are elephant grass ,similar to Napier ,but taller ,and it flowers ,again poor feed value at that stage of growth ,just look close up at the percentage of leaf to the percentage of stork ,then do the same with Napier at 45 days ,that has had some fertilizer and water .

I don't want to say you looked the wrong video on YouTube but I'm quite sure the 4m Napier and Elephant Grass is cut for Bioenergy not for feed

You'll find videos of napier grass being cut at 4m for both cattle and bioenergy. Many cattle farmers in Thailand cut their napier grass really tall, way past its "sell by date", because it's easier to cut a big amount in a short time and it keeps their cows busy trying to digest all that woody biomass. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't want to say you looked the wrong video on YouTube but I'm quite sure the 4m Napier and Elephant Grass is cut for Bioenergy not for feed

When you searching the the web with หญ้าเนเปียร์ ( Nephiergrass) you will see the most photos with 4 m tall grass. And i dont think it's for biomass.

This guy selling the cutted stem for planting:

https://th-th.facebook.com/napae1

But when i watching my calve eating the straw. I think all the time:

Now there filling up the rumen with this useless straw and after there not like to eat the grass or the feed concentrate. I cant remember a farmer back in germany he is feeding aware straw to cattle for growing, milk or to get more meat on them.

This sound for me some like to give the cheap Ricebran to small pig. There also will not grow.

Maybe on the beginning to start the rumen working but after i think i will make a seperate box and put them seperate.

But why should be the energy expensive inside the feed?

The cassave is not to expensive. And the corn is not necassery. Or i miss again a part?

On feedipedia a found a research to make sillage from cassava skin together with Nephiergrass.

http://www.tropentag.de/2011/proceedings/node325.html

I will try this tomorrow in Plasticboxes.

On feedipedia there are many studys about byprodukt.

Archived