Key Cutting (using a Mould and Impression) Help Request

tomdfc

If you just want a key that is functional, rather than an exact copy, any shop that does metal should be able to make the two small pieces and weld them to a metal rod.

I think the jeweler suggestion is pretty good if you want an actual copy that looks the same.

If you just want a key that is functional, rather than an exact copy, any shop that does metal should be able to make the two small pieces and weld them to a metal rod.

I think the jeweler suggestion is pretty good if you want an actual copy that looks the same.

...how about one of these new fangled 3D Printers !!

...how about one of these new fangled 3D Printers !!

Only if you can scan the exact dimensions first into the computer. That would be the tricky part and expensive too.. a 3d scanner.

There used to be a "bronze" Buddha statue casting workshop on the south side of the moat. Had to enter by a small alley way. I don't know if it's still there, or exactly where it was, but you entered from the main moat road. Maybe someone can be more precise as to it's location.

If you can't find someone to make it you can make your own. My grade nine kids make this stuff. I use two cuttlefish. (Get them from pet shops). Get the inner surfaces flat with a file or rubbing on a brick. Press the two surfaces together about the key. Pull them apart and there should be an impression. Scratch a channel leading from the impression at an angle toward an end - this allows air to escape. Make a slightly larger channel at the same end to pour molten aluminium. Bind the two halves (less the key of course) with fine wire. Bury in sand with the pour hole and breather hole uppermost and exposed. Heat up bits of can or any aluminium you can find - a gas torch you can buy in hardware shops or take the whole thing in a box to someone with an oxy torch. . I like old window frames but anything will do - you don't need much. The most difficult part is finding an iron ladle to heat the alloy in and then carefully pouring it. I have used an old heavy cast ladle but you could make something up. The nice thing is once you have things set up then you can make many things. Jewellery, belt buckles and small cabinet fittings are some of the things I have made. Cleaning the product up with files can be a little tedious. There will be lots on YouTube on this. But you may not have a suitable place to do this sort of work. You do have to be careful. pouring molten metal over the kitchen bench leads to dismissal from "she who must be obeyed" I know!

Another way to melt metal would be if you had a BBQ or could make a small fire with charcoal and then use a hairdryer to fan the coals you should be able to melt aluminium.

Edited by Mousehound