Transformer Blows

Gonzo the Face

Here almost in front of my place on Charoenrat, a transformer just blew with a tremendous boom. As luck would have it a couple was walking right below it and got the thrill of their life..... must have thought it was a terrorist attack ... now to see how long it takes to replace....

G

Usually takes 20-30 minutes for PEA to fix, they are rather used to it!

What you say is true as this transformer has blown a number of times over the years. I have seen that they are usually out in about half hour. It is now just a few minutes over an hour and they just pulled up and pulled the plug with the long orange pipe.

Most undoubtedly it was a fuse. Still makes one heck of a noise. And yes, PEA is very used to fixing them PRONTO.

We had a transformer inches outside a window where we used to live. I lived in fear that it would go (even with a blown fuse) at night when we were sleeping. All it takes is for an animal to get into the wires and BOOM!

Maybe someone can answer this.....why do transformers tend to blow so often here in CM or maybe Thailand. I have lived in several countries over the years , and yes they also had electric, but can never once remember a transformer blowing..... why the Thai exclusive.?????

Its not the transformer its the fuse. The fuse is doing its job. When its rating is reached it blows. The fuse protects the transformer from overloads. The problem is the electrical system throughout Thailand is overloaded. In your case if tis is happening often your systems needs an upgrade but get PEA to do it. Good luck.

Overloads - air conditioner usage probably the greatest cause - but home factories also a big factor.

Good answer ...... I am going to go around the neighborhood and tell everyone to shut off their air conditioners...

As Nancy said, it was probably some animal that caused it. Happened with our transformer. Big bang. Went to look, A snake skeleton hanging from the fuse laugh.png

Squirrels. I've often seen them removing the dead body. PEA did start putting protectors over the terminals and that made a difference near me but somehow they still manage to electrocute themselves.

Gonzo - Sorry they took so long to fix in your case, maybe nobody informed them?

Edited by briley

Squirrels. I've often seen them removing the dead body. PEA did start putting protectors over the terminals and that made a difference near me but somehow they still manage to electrocute themselves.

Gonzo - Sorry they took so long to fix in your case, maybe nobody informed them?

I didn't think it was too long..... the condo next door did though..... they didn't have electric, I had electric.

Squirrels may be the possible answer ... there are way too many of them in the hood...... but still don't know why only this transformer ..... there are dozens within a rocks throw. Maybe they just don't look as delicious.

About 12 (?) years ago during Loy Krathong, I was standing on the southwest corner of Charoen Pratet and Thaphae Road and I was watching an older (hmm...probably my current age) couple light up a lantern on the northwest corner right across the street. I was watching them because they seemed to be fumbling around and were also standing directly below a transformer (I was thinking.....geez, I hope they step away from there before they let that baby fly). But, no, they let it go, it directly hit the transformer, there was a loud boom and sparks, and immediately all the lights on that side of town went out (they came back on a few minutes later). Scared the hell out of them (well, me too) and I laughed as they quickly walked away while looking around to make sure not too many people saw what they did.

Overloads - air conditioner usage probably the greatest cause - but home factories also a big factor.

Good answer ...... I am going to go around the neighborhood and tell everyone to shut off their air conditioners...

Must be a lot warmer where you are than in Chiang Mai. I doubt there's too many using reverse cycle to warm their rooms!

It is plenty warm here in Bangkok (feels like 40c was report this morning with 98% humidity). biggrin.png But in general AC and work equipment accounts for much of the under capacity of existing transformers - people add electric consumption but transformers just are not normally upgraded until they start to fail.