Best automatic scooter ?

TobSlobSlai

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about buying a brand new scooter automatic. I make around 15km per day, in a small city which is sometimes busy. I like Honda Click and PCX. I want a safe bike, handy, confortable, fun to drive. I find the PCX a bit too big already for a scooter (In Europe I drove big motorbikes and I'm 1,70m for 65 kilos, 31 years old). Click cost 54k baht and PCX 83k baht.

Thanks for your advices.

I prefer a compact scooter for driving in busy cities.

We have a Honda Click (2011) and its just about big enough for me (also 1.7m).

I guess all scooters now have ignition locked when footrest down (which Click had in 2011)?

My wife insisted on an automatic.

I am not an enthusiast and prefer the old style with gear selection with left foot (no clutch).

Not sure if still sold here but we bought a Honda Icon in 2008 for mostly maid use to shop and take grandchildren to schools and such. Has been very reliable and used a lot. Advantage over Click was able to install front basket for shopping (was not an option for Click due to front design).

Advantage over Click was able to install front basket for shopping (was not an option for Click due to front design).

Another point why I am not too enthusiastic about these stylish automatics.

No place to transport some small stuff except under the seat.

Then you see these huge scooters with a transport box attached at the rear wink.png

Even worse are these girl scooters ("Scoopy").

You can not even put a can of coke (!) or a bottle of beer in the front compartments.

Edited by KhunBENQ

@lopburi3 Honda Icon is not sold anymore.

@KhunBENQ, I prefer auto for my use. You can install some hook to transport plastic bags.

What about Yamaha bikes ? GT model ?

Maybe you could find one of the recently discontinued Yamaha Nouvo SX125.

They are the best small scooter.

I cannot comment on any other scoots except the new Click. Great bike. Quite a bit of storage under the seat plus the hooks. Good gas mileage, lots of power and easy to maneuver in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Advantage over Click was able to install front basket for shopping (was not an option for Click due to front design).

Then you see these huge scooters with a transport box attached at the rear wink.png

What? There's usually enough space for a couple of shopping bags under the seat, you can even fit 2-3 shopping bags from the hook in front of you. So 5-6 bags of shopping is no small amount. Keep a couple of bungee chords under the seat and you could even carry large boxes on the back.

For the OP another alternative to the Click is the Yamaha GT125, I have one and it's great and at only 43,500B it's much cheaper than a Click.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160108_131910921_HDR2.jpg

Yamaha is OK if you know you are going to keep the bike for years, they lose their value so quick and are heavy on fuel.

I'm assuming the GT125 is similar to the Fino, but only more powerful.

The old carb Fino was quite heavy on fuel (we had one before), about 33km/l but I am 100% sure the new FI Fino is much much better.

My pcx150 goes about 36-40 km/l depending how I ride it, I calculate after each fuel top up just for fun.

Don't know about my wife's scoppy, never rides it myself, hate the little xxxxxx thing.

I say what I said in a other topic, Yamaha is just as good as the Honda's, if not better.

Same with cars/trucks; Thais absolutely have to have Toyota, <deleted>? But anybody with the slightest knowledge of cars/trucks knows they been sleeping in the firm belief that people will continue buying their vehicles even if the competition is better but now people are starting to by other brands thankfully and they better get their fingers out of their asses if they want to keep the top seller spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have 17 bikes at the moment for rentals. All the Hondas have gearbox / belt issues as do the nouvo yammies.

The most reliable ..as in never need mechanical servicing are the Mio 125s Two have over 45,000k and get fluid changes every 3 months. The clicks and nouvos get issues every 5000k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

grand filano is the best. good size for bags, 2l/100km, reliable. stand up position, lot of place for legs, easy to ride,

I have pcx and grand filano. I would choose grand filano if I had to buy a new bike again.

Is it fast ?

I should rent these bikes first to decide but I can't find the time

none of them are fast. and in a thai town you don't want go fast. what you need is a practical scooter that is easy to ride, easy to park, easy to refuel,... and the grand filano tick all the boxes. pcx is smaller under the seat , no place between legs... more power but in town, it s not a requirement.

scooter is not a waste of money as you will use it for shopping , go beach, go malls... . so whatever you choose it s well invested money . and maintenance cost nearly nothing. oil change 100 bahts. it s all it needs.

Edited by papayasalad
  • Haha 1

No mate it's similar to the Mio or Click if you'd prefer. From what I've read with the new technology it's better on fuel than the Click.(who really cares about these minute savings anyway?) I don't know about losing value but it starts off 10k cheaper (no need for a liquid cooling system) So I don't think you could lose more value than a Click. (again what's a few thousand baht either way?)

You need to move on from myopic view that Honda is the God of all bikes. i traded in a Honda for this and it's much better.

Honda works for me....

post-95864-0-20132800-1455599460_thumb.j

Even worse are these girl scooters ("Scoopy").

You can not even put a can of coke (!) or a bottle of beer in the front compartments.

I find this a problem with the Click. Unless I'm missing something, nowhere to attach bungee cords or a cargo net effectively if you want to lash something to the rear seat. I've seen mention of the brackets near the passenger foot pegs being used but they are way too far forward and there is a tendency for the cord to slide forward and off the package, if you can get it to stretch that far. If you do somehow get them on OK the cables will rub the side panels which will mark the bike a lot if used often. No way to attach to the grab handle either. About the only was I could see is using a very long cord and thread it round the package, through the grab rail, and clip the end hooks to each other. A couple of 'eyes' attached to the frame wouldn't go amiss!!

That's the reason Im trying to get a top box for mine, IF I could get a mounting rack that fits. Seems there have been some minor design adjustments to the 2015/16 Click so that the racks all the spares places stock all have mounting tubes that are too short. Only just, but too short.

• Like 1

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I got the Yamaha Grand Filano recently. Why? It's cheaper than the PCX (which was my 1st choice but I decided my bike would serve as a casual runabout rather than a daily commuter) and had slightly more storage space than the Click.

Pros:

The aforemention storage space, good for those trips to Big C. I'll tell you my XXL sized full face helmet can't fit inside, so I strap it onto the hooks towards the front of the seat / storage area. It's flex fuel, takes up to E85 in the latest iteration. Running regular 91 and E20 nets 1L = 50km. E85 = 43km. Kickstand, which the PCX doesn't have. Looks 'nice' although your mileage may vary. Slightly larger frame serves a heavyset guy like me well. My knees graze the handlebar on Finos and Scoot-X's.

Cons:

Yamaha tends to use smaller tyres, so ride's a bit bumpier, even jarring at times. That may indicate a stiffer front suspension. I don't know. I used to ride the missus' Wave which was a great bike but I wanted something that's easy to ride with storage. Tyres here are 12", so don't get over confident on bumps and corners.

Power does seem a bit lacking but I've been a good boy, abiding by the "more not than 1 minute on 1/3 throttle before the first 1000" rule.

There are little touches, like the DLR and an LED light in the storage compartment. So.... it's a convenient (convenience?) bike to own.