Best installer for ceramic film?

You may want to do some research into ceramic film because it's the same sort of marketing gimmick as they use in ceramic house paint. The idea of using ceramics to reduce heat comes from the space shuttle, in reality ceramic powder doesn't reduce heat load it merely ensures that heat is absorbed evenly, heat reduction comes from using other techniques. So using ceramic film on glass seems rather a pointless exercise since modern glass is highly engineered and already absorbs heat evenly anyway. What the roof paint manufacturers tell you is that using ceramic roof paint will reduce heat load substantially, when you look at the fine print the resulting heat reduction is often less than 1%, greater numbers can be achieved by changing the colour of the roof paint from a dark to a light colour - smoke and mirrors.

'hell ...so the fact that I now think the car is cooler inside since fitting ceramic window film, before had none, is actually in my imagination. Means that I could just have paid 1000thb for a session with a 'trickcyclist' who would have 'instilled' that in my head... wouldn't work with Mrs Jas though ... she knows everything and nothing will change her opinion

If you had nothing previously and now you have ceramic film then of course you will notice a difference, the question is whether there's any NOTICEABLE difference in tempretures between ceramic and regular film.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previous film: normal lamina -> arms burned nearly off when sitting in BKK traffic.

Now Ceramic Film: arms don't burn off anymore even when sitting in the hot sun. So yeah I do feel a difference.

chiang mai, on 07 Mar 2016 - 09:34, said:
JAS21, on 07 Mar 2016 - 09:01, said:
chiang mai, on 07 Mar 2016 - 07:48, said:

You may want to do some research into ceramic film because it's the same sort of marketing gimmick as they use in ceramic house paint. The idea of using ceramics to reduce heat comes from the space shuttle, in reality ceramic powder doesn't reduce heat load it merely ensures that heat is absorbed evenly, heat reduction comes from using other techniques. So using ceramic film on glass seems rather a pointless exercise since modern glass is highly engineered and already absorbs heat evenly anyway. What the roof paint manufacturers tell you is that using ceramic roof paint will reduce heat load substantially, when you look at the fine print the resulting heat reduction is often less than 1%, greater numbers can be achieved by changing the colour of the roof paint from a dark to a light colour - smoke and mirrors.

'hell ...so the fact that I now think the car is cooler inside since fitting ceramic window film, before had none, is actually in my imagination. Means that I could just have paid 1000thb for a session with a 'trickcyclist' who would have 'instilled' that in my head... wouldn't work with Mrs Jas though ... she knows everything and nothing will change her opinion

If you had nothing previously and now you have ceramic film then of course you will notice a difference, the question is whether there's any NOTICEABLE difference in tempretures between ceramic and regular film.

CM ... I wasn't been too serious

You actually need to look at the TSER along with VLT and VLR. My last two vehicles had Lamina Special Series L75 ... clearish from outside and inside. I now have SolarFX which is clearish from the inside but darkish from the outside ... you can see in but have to look hard.

My car definitely feels cooler and the windows feel cooler than previous when driving along. Of course maybe the aircon in the EV is vastly superior to that of BMW and Isuzu ... NO the film that I have now definitely make me feel more comfortable than previous AND I'm not on display.

chiang mai, on 07 Mar 2016 - 09:34, said:
JAS21, on 07 Mar 2016 - 09:01, said:
chiang mai, on 07 Mar 2016 - 07:48, said:

CM ... I wasn't been too serious

You actually need to look at the TSER along with VLT and VLR. My last two vehicles had Lamina Special Series L75 ... clearish from outside and inside. I now have SolarFX which is clearish from the inside but darkish from the outside ... you can see in but have to look hard.

My car definitely feels cooler and the windows feel cooler than previous when driving along. Of course maybe the aircon in the EV is vastly superior to that of BMW and Isuzu ... NO the film that I have now definitely make me feel more comfortable than previous AND I'm not on display.

That's cool (literally) and I'm pleased that it worked out well for you. The only point that I wanted to make is that product manufacturers who hang the word "ceramic" on their packaging are often trying to make the product appear sexy, in reality ceramic has little to do with the improved quality and performance of a product. That performance improvement usually results from other factors, the science simply doesn't support ceramic as being the miracle cure it's touted to be and many people fail to realize this. When I see the word ceramic on a product I think immediately of the "nano" blitz we had some time ago, everything was nano this and nano that at one point, silly really.

I often wonder if the 'heat lamp in a box' demo is fiddled. I certainly believe that in 'a certain scratch test' the competitors film was fitted wrong side out... we would say inside out.

O NO .. you mean nano ceramics don't actually exist ..... rolleyes.gif

canthai55, on 07 Mar 2016 - 10:04, said:
JAS21, on 07 Mar 2016 - 09:59, said:

I now have SolarFX which is clearish from the inside but darkish from the outside ... you can see in but have to look hard.

Which SolarFX did you install ? What % ?

Just for you I searched the EV Topic ... I wrote this ....

If anyone is thinking of using SolarFX I can recommend

FX30 on the front and down the side ... except the small window which has FX20

The Moonroof ... think I made a mistake putting FX20 on ... Mrs JAS is complaining that she can feel the heat (with the blind open).. so probably will have to change it to FX05, but may wait for the hot season to confirm.

There is FX20 on the rear window ... it might have taken FX05 ... if anyone does that let me know what you think please,

Look around pages 32-33 posts 796 and 806

My eyes hurt now ... I need a rest sad.png

I bought solar film from an automobile repair place and had them install it (17 square metres) on a series of windows at my house, the four sets of sliding glass doors all catch the afternoon sun hence the living room and one bedroom get very hot. The shop took me through the heat box test and it was clear which film the heat box thought was most effective because the glass of that particular section remained cold whereas the others were all hot to the touch. Later, after the film was installed I came to relaise that the film only slows the rate of heat absorption, a bit like attic insulation, apply enough direct heat for long enough and it will get through. Fortunately for us it all worked out well, the windows only every get a maximum of four hours direct sunlight which is just slightly more than is needed to defeat the film but only just, the rooms remain cool until late afternoon when the temprture then starts to increase marginally. Fortunately, my house is fixed and I don't drive it into a new position to where it catches sun all day but I imagine the issues between a car and my house film are very similar.

I bought solar film from an automobile repair place and had them install it (17 square metres) on a series of windows at my house, the four sets of sliding glass doors all catch the afternoon sun hence the living room and one bedroom get very hot. The shop took me through the heat box test and it was clear which film the heat box thought was most effective because the glass of that particular section remained cold whereas the others were all hot to the touch. Later, after the film was installed I came to relaise that the film only slows the rate of heat absorption, a bit like attic insulation, apply enough direct heat for long enough and it will get through. Fortunately for us it all worked out well, the windows only every get a maximum of four hours direct sunlight which is just slightly more than is needed to defeat the film but only just, the rooms remain cool until late afternoon when the temprture then starts to increase marginally. Fortunately, my house is fixed and I don't drive it into a new position to where it catches sun all day but I imagine the issues between a car and my house film are very similar.

So do I ... park your car in the sun and it will be oven like after a period. Leave windows down a bit and it will be less hot. Edited by JAS21

• 2 weeks later...

@Jas21 pm sent, sorry I couldn't make it over last week.

Choosing the HO film for the car from abroad , hope I'm making the right decision.

I prefer the car to look OEM instead of ghetto

C40 front sides

C30 rear side and back

C30 or C40 pano roof

Undecided on the windscreen. Due to middleage and being safe at night, I'd prefer C70 or if I can get it, sech 60. My wife is adamant she wants C40, for security. Will this still be ok for normal driving? Originally she wanted c20 on the sides !

Edited by Cook my sock

Sorry ... I don't know how HO compares with SolarFX.

My eyes are old, I wear glasses for night driving and what I have is abdolutely fine. In fact a normal sighted person would be happy with one grade darker everywhere.

To be honest this stuff is not all that expensive so if you get it wrong first time ... just make sure you get it right second time.

The roof as dark as you can

Edited by JAS21

Cheers. I'm going to go C40 front, C30 sides, back. Undecided on roof so will let wife decide that one

We have only had the roof open once ... a really cold morning ... but by 10am shut it and the blind.

Never to open either again. Complete waste of money. Must be aimed at another market.

Only plus ... less roof area to glass coat. Of course the 'glass' will get water marks unless you protect it.

At the motorshow 3M launched a new privacy model, much darker on the outside and lighter on the inside. It doesn't have the heat reflecting/absorbing properties of the top tier crystalline model, but still the high UV/infrared red shielding. Also, happy to see them offering an 8-year warranty.

V-Kool's top model was very impressive too, but does block GPS and easypass signal so you'll have to make a gap behind the rear view mirror.

Both have promos at the moment. 3M 20% off and installation within 3 months, V-Kool installation within 12 months of purchase at discounted prices.

There is a huge markup on film ...especially ceramic. So should be able to get goodish price.

I mentioned earlier in this thread what you need to look at heat transfer wise.

My SolarFX is quite impressive even in the present weather ...and I didn't

exactly pay a lot for it ....

Edited by JAS21

There is a huge markup on film ...especially ceramic. So should be able to get goodish price.

I went to the SolarFX site previously, pricing looks good. 3M one will suit my needs. GF doesn't want to be seen and I'd like to be able to see, especially at night!

I went to the SolarFX site previously, pricing looks good. 3M one will suit my needs. GF doesn't want to be seen and I'd like to be able to see, especially at night!

You will never really know whether it really suits your needs until it's on and tested. And if you both are happy then great.

Best if you can see it on a vehicle in daylight and at night before buying. As I said earlier though ...if you get it wrong no great problem ... get it right next time...

Seeing it in a show under the lighting isn't the same.

You will never really know whether it really suits your needs until it's on and tested. And if you both are happy then great.

Best if you can see it on a vehicle in daylight and at night before buying. As I said earlier though ...if you get it wrong no great problem ... get it right next time...

Seeing it in a show under the lighting isn't the same.

Car dealer said I can choose whatever film I want and they'll sort it gratis, guess we'll see whether I made the right choice.

That's a generous car dealer. My Honda dealer were trying to make me pay 18k extra for a film I'd never heard of.

We both love the moonroof and unless extreme direct sun we usually leave the blind open once the cars cooled. It's just nice to drive along with clear skies above with the interior all sunny and lit up. I went for C40 as a compromise between heat protection and letting light in but was tempted to opt for C70

Edited by Cook my sock

That's a generous car dealer. My Honda dealer were trying to make me pay 18k extra for a film I'd never heard of.

We both love the moonroof and unless extreme direct sun we usually leave the blind open once the cars cooled. It's just nice to drive along with clear skies above with the interior all sunny and lit up. I went for C40 as a compromise between heat protection and letting light in but was tempted to opt for C70

Guess it depends on how much you're spending. If something around 500k mark they offer the nasty cheapo stuff. 2.5m+ I'm sure they can spring for something a little nicer.