Australia's Turnbull weighs up election options

webfact

Turnbull weighs up election options
AAP

MELBOURNE: -- MALCOLM Turnbull has told coalition colleagues a double-dissolution election is a "live option".

BUT it was reasonable to expect an election would be held between August and October when it was due.

The prime minister's comments were made on the first sitting day of parliament for the year, as he sought to win support for laws to reinstate the building industry watchdog.

The government already has a trigger for an early election of the lower house and full Senate - a clean energy bill - but the blocking of the Australian Building and Construction Commission bills could give it another more potent reason for a double-dissolution.

Full story: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/turnbull-weighs-up-election-options/news-story/6487a46c30faf619837271855d79304a

-- HERALD SUN 2016-02-02

Australian official says PM is considering an early election
ROD McGUIRK, Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — An official says Australia's prime minister has told government colleagues that an early general election within weeks is "a live option."

Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull alone decides the timing of the next election. He has maintained that he plans for his government to run a full three-year term which would make the election due around September.

But a government minister said Turnbull told his colleagues Tuesday at their first meeting at Parliament House for the year that the election could be called much sooner.

The minister spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity because he was speaking as a spokesman for the meeting rather than as himself.

Turnbull can call an election as early as March 12.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-02

It would be a good time to lose to Labour, given that the economy is about to nose dive- once iron ore reaches $20 a ton the miners go broke. Let Labour be the government and deal with the disaster smile.png .

Even thinking Labor has any chance, is showing you live in Fantasy Land

This is all about the government bluff against independents not voting yes to is returning Labour check laws

I suspect that a double dissolution won't happen, unless senate voting is reformed to head off the "preference whisperer" and his pals. I suggest optional preferential. Must vote in preference for the number of vacancies and continue on for as long as you wish after that.

It would be a good time to lose to Labour, given that the economy is about to nose dive- once iron ore reaches $20 a ton the miners go broke. Let Labour be the government and deal with the disaster smile.png .

This is all about the government bluff against independents not voting yes to is returning Labour check laws

I think all bets are off while ever Abbott stays in da house... he, and the extra right faction he represents, will only seek to further destabilise Turnbull.

I wouldn't go counting any chickens just yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all bets are off while ever Abbott stays in da house... he, and the extra right faction he represents, will only seek to further destabilise Turnbull.

I wouldn't go counting any chickens just yet.

Rudd Gillard, Abbot Turnbull_ Oz politics as usual.