4wd Or 2wd

jumbo

If you are thinking about a pick up truck there is no real advantage on good roads.

If you engage 4 wheel drive around town you will wear out the rear tyres very quick as the rear diff locks and drags the wheels around corners.

Fast driving on wet straight roads it is a help ,but generally safer just to slow down !

Ride height of a 4x4 is a nice thing to have as you get a better view over the traffic.

You can get a Highlander or high rider option wich gives you the look and height of a 4x4 but only has 2 wheel drive.

Save you a packet

cheers

Anyone know how much the difference in fuel consumtion would be between 4 weel drive and 2 weel drive?

Also, what does 4x4 stand for? is it 4 weels with drive on all four, would 4x2 be a 2 weel drive???

Generally speaking, a 4WD system will increase fuel consumption.

In addition, generally speaking, 4x4 means power to all 4 wheels and 4x2 means power to 2 wheels.

That said, there are many different types of 4WD systems that range from the very simple (manual locking, low tech) to more complex computer-controlled systems like those used in sports cars like the Nissan Skyline, etc. These systems can range from primitive to very complex and expensive, and the system of driving (4wheels, 3wheels, 2wheels, 1wheel, AWD, etc.) can be just as complex, hence "generally speaking."

Back home, where my two oldest kids (who actually work professionally in the fields they earned their masters') insist on having 3 four-wheel-drive cars, even though they never drive in snow or mud or dirt. They say it increases the resale value, but then again, they pay a lot extra to get 4WD, so it ends up being more expensive.

Would maintenance also be more costly?

Tyre wear and extra fuel/maintenance depends a lot upon the particular system CONSTANT VEL OCITY OR HARDY SPICER.

Now I know someone is going to ask Who employs Hardy Spicer in their four wheel drive systems Simple answer Landrover.

JUST MY 2 BAHTS WORTH.

I have both 4wd and 2wd pickups .The 4wd is set up for proper offroad use and as such is not that suitable for long distance road journies.Hence the second vehicle. Even then I chose the 2wd Highlander version with the taller suspension from the 4wd which I prefer but had no real use for the 'drag' and cost of the extra power driven wheels.

You would have no advantage in purchasing a vehicle with 4 wheel drive if you are driving on good roads...so no muddy back roads, no 2 feet of drifting snow to get through etc. You would never use it and having 4 wheel drive engaged on dry pavement is not good for the vehicle.

The fuel economy for a 4 wheel drive vehicle is not that much different than 2 wheel (if we are talking a truck). Maybe a few mpg's difference. Another thing to take in to account is with something like a 4 wheel drive truck, you now have two drive shafts as well as a transfer case for increased maintenance. Replacing a bad transfer case can sometimes cost as much as replacing a transmission.

You would have no advantage in purchasing a vehicle with 4 wheel drive if you are driving on good roads...so no muddy back roads, no 2 feet of drifting snow to get through etc. You would never use it and having 4 wheel drive engaged on dry pavement is not good for the vehicle.

The fuel economy for a 4 wheel drive vehicle is not that much different than 2 wheel (if we are talking a truck). Maybe a few mpg's difference. Another thing to take in to account is with something like a 4 wheel drive truck, you now have two drive shafts as well as a transfer case for increased maintenance. Replacing a bad transfer case can sometimes cost as much as replacing a transmission.

Very good points Jamie - some vehicles have constant what the mfr terms as 4 wheel drive eg Honda CRV but their 4 wheel capability is similar to TiTs on a bull.

Edited by mijan24

Auto or Manual,

That’s a hard one to answer as a lot depends on where and what the 4x4 will be used for. I’ve been driving 4x4’s on and off road for near on 20 years now and have always owned manuals.

Offroad in sand requires gentle acceleration to get out of soft spots and my automatic owning friends assure me automatic is better. I tend to agree as there have been times when I’ve started to bog down and lose momentum while changing gears in soft sand.

For mud and rocky ground I feel the manual is better.

General off road driving depends more on the drivers’ ability rather than the vehicle. I’ve seen 2wd Toyota pickups in the most remote areas that have taken 4 x4 drivers hours in 4wd to reach.

On road I don’t think there is much of a difference apart from the relaxation the automatic provides by removing the need to change gears.

This may not be a good comparison comparing fuel economy because of two different makes of trucks. My two wheel drive gets between 14 and 15 kilometers per liter on a 650 kilometer trip. My 4X4 gets between 10 and 11 making the same trip. The 4X4 is also a four door so it is heavier. That's not pushing either of them. Slightly above and below the 90 km/h speed limit. Locking hubs would probably help.

Auto or Manual,

That’s a hard one to answer as a lot depends on where and what the 4x4 will be used for. I’ve been driving 4x4’s on and off road for near on 20 years now and have always owned manuals.

Offroad in sand requires gentle acceleration to get out of soft spots and my automatic owning friends assure me automatic is better. I tend to agree as there have been times when I’ve started to bog down and lose momentum while changing gears in soft sand.

For mud and rocky ground I feel the manual is better.

General off road driving depends more on the drivers’ ability rather than the vehicle. I’ve seen 2wd Toyota pickups in the most remote areas that have taken 4 x4 drivers hours in 4wd to reach.

On road I don’t think there is much of a difference apart from the relaxation the automatic provides by removing the need to change gears.

Only been driving my first 4WD a couple of months but I am happy to have manual especially going downhills on steep slopes. Going with my friends automatic the same slope was scary!

Yeah I agree with you there. The manual provides so much more control in situations like that. Most of my sand driving has been in Middle Eastern deserts. Them dunes are high and I don’t think it matters much coming down the other side. Just hold on and enjoy the ride down. :o

I was thinking more along the lines of where Jumbo would be driving his 4x4 if he decided to buy one. I’d hazard a guess and say any sand driving would be getting on and off a beach. That’s where an automatic would come in handy by providing steady constant power when the sand gets too soft. He also said most of his driving would be on roads.

Some of the newer 4x4’s like the Freelander have a system that takes all the effort out when you go downhills. But I would never buy a Landover. I’ve seen people have too many problems with them and the maintenance is never ending just to keep them running. :D

Only been driving my first 4WD a couple of months but I am happy to have manual especially going downhills on steep slopes. Going with my friends automatic the same slope was scary!

Most (all?) autos have a way of keeping the box in low gear - our Fortuner has gearbox positions for all four gears. I had to lock it in second yesterday going down a steep slope near Kanchanaburi.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your opinions and reply's

I am thingking about the Toyota VIGO 4x4 auto

Just was wondering if and how I could make teh suspension a little more soft

Just have them take out some suspension????

Does anybody know if the VIGO has a diff lock or if not what they have?

J

I understand from the answers it would not make 'good' sense to have a 4x4 and not use the 4wd to often. I could drive with it however on dry roads would it make any difference other than the tyres wearing down, would it be bad for the engine?? If so why are there cars like the Audi A8 that have continues 4wd???

I like the high seat and the fact that I have the ability to drive 4x4 if I get off the road

Please give me your appreciated opinions

J

There are big differences between full time 4 WD and part time like in the trucks. The part time 4 WD locks the front and rear differentials together so there is no slippage. To drive on hard pavement will eventually cause binding and the transfer case could possibly be damaged. Your manual will tell you not to use the 4WD on dry pavement.

There are big differences between full time 4 WD and part time like in the trucks. The part time 4 WD locks the front and rear differentials together so there is no slippage. To drive on hard pavement will eventually cause binding and the transfer case could possibly be damaged. Your manual will tell you not to use the 4WD on dry pavement.

Thanks for your reply, understand it a little better now.

J

...I only drive the car in and out the city on good roads...

This makes it easy - no need for 4wd. In a "normal" Vigo you are already a good pice higher over the street compared to a car.

If you are under 1.80m it will look ridiculous see you climbing on / jump off your Pre-runner...

This makes it easy - no need for 4wd. In a "normal" Vigo you are already a good pice higher over the street compared to a car.

If you are under 1.80m it will look ridiculous see you climbing on / jump off your Pre-runner...

Is it also ridiculous for a guy of 180cm to be seen entering a Honda Jazz ?

I can't see your logic, maybe you can explain.

Is it also ridiculous for a guy of 180cm to be seen entering a Honda Jazz ?

I can't see your logic, maybe you can explain.

Patex probably has a small car is all.

It's like some guys with 125 cc Motorcycles will say that a guy with a 1000cc Motorcycle has a small dix. In reality they feel inferior on the road to the 1000cc Motorcycle so they make an assumption about the rider to make themselves feel better.

Read up on some of Neeranams posts on 4WD owners, you'll soon get the drift. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Dont worry about that Pattex, I didn't choose my nick just to scare you off while bluffing....I am quit a big fellow :o

J

Patex probably has a small car is all.

It's like some guys with 125 cc Motorcycles will say that a guy with a 1000cc Motorcycle has a small dix. In reality they feel inferior on the road to the 1000cc Motorcycle so they make an assumption about the rider to make themselves feel better.

Read up on some of Neeranams posts on 4WD owners, you'll soon get the drift.

Magoo,

I've never posted about 4WD owners :D Pick-ups on the other hand I've had a few posts on :o

But on the subject, I wouldn't buy a 4 WD if I lived in town unless I had an odd trip a National park.

Small penis syndrome is real for sure - men with little dicks get into body-building and buy macho bikes or big cars such as pick-ups. Obviously not all pick-up drivers have a small dick, but it becomes more apparent if they are driving a monster pick-up when they are not a farmer, builder etc and live in the suburbs of Bangkok. The most obvious would be the guy who lives in a town full of women who wouldn't laugh at his member(or they wouldn't get paid) with a 1000cc bike to go along the beach road to his gym, when there is a local bus which is much more practical.

Edited by Neeranam

Only a handful of 4WD are real that. LandCruiser, Prado, Range Rover, New LandRover. Nissan Patrol was not, Explorer, Hillux is not...4WD has to be engaged and, as somebody said, not used on sealed roads.

But, you can tell when you drive a full time 4WD. Grip on the road is spider-tight.

4WD systems vary immensely in what they do and what they're used for...if you are talking about a pickup, it's worth bearing in mind that they are usually the most basic of all systems.......only a few have a locking diff, and that is only on the rear axle. Most have limited slip diffs on the rear and nothing on the front.

To cut down drag from the system you can fit freewheeling hubs to the front.

However the roads in Thailand are variable at best you will inevitably encounter floods, mud, roadworks etc etc.... and I have used the 4wd system on mine on several occasions and was glad to have it. On one occasion, it saved me from having an accident....

I was driving through Klaeng on the Bkk - Trat road and after a heavy downpour felt that the road looked rather slippery, so I slowed and engaged 4WD, I was surprised to find that the vehicle was drifting quite wide on the bend, but no real problems....I then noticed about 10 other pickups in the ditch and down in the central reservation....they had all spun off in the slippery conditions.

On road cars some 4WD system will actually save you fuel as they overcome friction and road resistance. It is not a good idea to leave your pickup in 4WD all the time as this will cause wear to part s of the transmission.....

As for Hardy Spicer....yes Land Rover, Range Rover (Fergusson 4) and Jenson....did you know they even developed a 4WD Capri? In addition, of course the CV joint for the Mini!