Does Honda Wave have a fuel filter?

ricklev

I have an old carbureted Wave 125. It's running like it's running out of gas. Kind of bucking and surging. I changed the plug and air filter a couple months ago. Does it have a fuel filter? I imagine the engine is OK so all I can think is fuel filter or perhaps the coil? Fairly new battery and the lights seem fine. It has been hard starting and running rough when it's cold.

Can the average guy at the corner shop clean/rebuild a carb?

Thanks!

I have a 10 y old Honda Wave 100. A couple of years ago I had the same problem. It has 2 filters, 1 just under the fuel tank and 1 before the inlet of the carburetor. I replaced the one near the tank, it was 15 baht I think. I had to take the plastic off on the left side and had easy access. I hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try the filter followed by the float check/carb clean if that doesn't work.

Not a lot of confidence in the diagnostic skills of the guys in the shophouse, but I know it's luck of the draw and they can likely repair it. It's intermittent though and that complicates things.

It would help if you had specified what year the Honda Wave is… more modern Wave's are equipped with fuel injection and the fueling system is less serviceable… but the EFI models have a fuel filter in the fuel tank.

The Honda Wave with carburetor is one of the easiest four-stroke motorcycles to service. If you have a Wave equipped with a carburetor and have fueling problems it's possible that the float in the carburetor is not replaced with a float that can tolerate ethanol fuel. The use of ethanol fuel will effect all rubber and plastic parts that come into contact with the fuel.

Sounds like fuel. Yeah, change the external filter (20 baht), remove and clean the internal one (part of the tap). if that fails, remove and clean out the carb.

May be a dodgy new plug - happens sometimes that you get a dud.

Carb Waves run and start fine with a dead battery or even completely removed. The 2 Waves i service from the family don't even have batteries in 'em...

It would help if you had specified what year the Honda Wave is… more modern Wave's are equipped with fuel injection and the fueling system is less serviceable… but the EFI models have a fuel filter in the fuel tank.

The Honda Wave with carburetor is one of the easiest four-stroke motorcycles to service. If you have a Wave equipped with a carburetor and have fueling problems it's possible that the float in the carburetor is not replaced with a float that can tolerate ethanol fuel. The use of ethanol fuel will effect all rubber and plastic parts that come into contact with the fuel.

I think he was clear on what type of fuel system his bike had in the first sentence.

You don't trust their diagnostic skills?

Yet you believe a clogged filter will cause intermittent probs.

Clogged is clogged.

Every Somchai knows that.

Maybe not so much on a motorcycle. But on older cars that had clogged on restricted inline fuel filters, some engines would run fine under normal acceleration, but would lose power from fuel starvation under load or at higher speeds. GM cars that had a very small filter in the carb inlet where the worst.

If you have the new 125 injection Honda Wave, it's have just internial fuel filter.

Have to change just once at 10,000 KM.

I belive that the problem come from the connect of the battery, that what happend

to my wife's Honda.

Hard starting is often a good indicator of a valve adjustment needed.

Except not on a Wave motor. They are WW III proof.

Motors i see from the family in excess of 70-80k kms, original cam chain, getting a bit rattley, and valves never even looked at. Still starting, still running strong, still not using much oil, albeit they've lost 10-15 kms on top speed.

These things are bomb proof. Just change the oil every 2k kms without fail, and keep the rats away from the wiring.

Motors i see from the family in excess of 70-80k kms, original cam chain, getting a bit rattley, and valves never even looked at. Still starting, still running strong, still not using much oil, albeit they've lost 10-15 kms on top speed.

These things are bomb proof. Just change the oil every 2k kms without fail, and keep the rats away from the wiring.

Totally agree. I could never have ridden a Wave in England, would have been laughed out of Squires Coffee Bar or Devil's Bridge, and I felt a right prick at first riding something with a shopping basket on the front.

But as practical transport, these little Hondas, starting with the Cub, are the biggest thing in motorcycling history. Whole populations getting affordable personal transport. (Although I still prefer the SP2 I left behind for fun factor, though not for riding through the market).

Then I need to pick up a lightly used one. The CRF250M is an absolute riot to ride in the mountains, dirt roads and even on trials, but not good for CM city traffic. I loved the Wave I rented for several months. I took a Wave up Doi Suthep and down the back side dirt road to Huey Tung Tao with my gf on the back.

Well, I just dropped it off at the corner shop and when I picked it up they said the plug was fouled and they did something to the carb. I couldn't understand the Thai for what they did to the carb. Oh well. Charged me 270 baht including replacing the spark plug. Seems to be OK.........