Thai police to get tough on taxi drivers after flood of complaints

webfact

Police to get tough on taxi drivers after flood of complaints

t1.jpg

file photo source Internet

BANGKOK, 34 February 2016 (NNT) – Police have set out to clamp down on taxi drivers who violate the law or mistreat passengers while urging them to instead help create a positive image for the country.

National Police Chief Pol Gen Jakthip Chaijinda convened a meeting with officials from the Department of Land Transport and other related agencies to discuss solutions to various problems surrounding the provision of service by taxi drivers, who number more than 130,000 nationwide. The discussion followed the submission of a series of complaints by passengers, both Thai and foreign.

As a result, the police resolved to enforce traffic laws more stringently while setting up a database on taxi drivers’ law violations in order to deter them from repeating their offenses. Any drivers with inappropriate behaviors will have their licenses revoked. Information and tips on how to use taxi service in Thailand will also be provided for tourists.

These measures will be piloted in Bangkok, particularly at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports, as well as Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui. Evaluation will be conducted on a monthly basis, starting in March.

Pol Gen Jakthip, on this occasion, asked for all taxi drivers’ cooperation in being good hosts to foreign visitors and creating a good impression on them for the sake of the country’s tourism.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-04 footer_n.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...as well as Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui.

It would be easy enough to do something about the minority of Bangkok drivers who cause problems, if only the police weren't so lazy. But I won't start applauding until they have the balls to take on the local mafias and fine and take the licenses of some of these scum. Until then, it's just business (talk) as usual.

",,,,,,,,,,, the police resolved to enforce traffic laws more stringently...."

Perhaps they should just properly enforce the existing traffic laws to their full legal extent. Nothing to do with a little more or less or who they stop. Just do it.!

Get off your butts, get out there and do the job you're paid for. Earn some respect.

When the city has a system

Where any "idiot driver"

Can turn up at a taxi hiring centre, have a photo taken, pay a rental fee and be a taxi meter for public use. This is one example of regulations,or lack in public Transportation in the Country!

Edited by kingalfred

taxi drivers who never have any change no matter what size note you want to pay with are particularly annoying

also the ones who keep driving after you ask to stop or ignore directions to go by a longer route

the ones who remove the rear seatbelts too

loud thai music

smoking in the car

driving with someone elses taxi id

speeding /driving wrecklessly

rigged meters ,refusing fares ,unwilling to even use the meter in favour of charging extortionate prices

they really need to clean this scum off the streets and the sooner the better

The BIB are to get ' tough ' with taxi drivers !

Haven't we heard claims like this before and we all know what it means, very little !

the thai police and the "dear" leader have been saying that they are cracking down on the taxi drivers for over a year, yet nothing has been done! what about the taxi's that park in front of the hotels and will not take you to the airport using the "meter"? that is happening right now, especially in front of the dynasty on soi four! the police pass right by!

that's why i use a limo, it cost more but it takes money from the taxi drivers! and that is a good thing!

"tips on how to use taxi service in Thailand will also be provided for tourists"

Given that most Thais who struggle with Engrish, will answer in the affirmative if they're unsure of the question, my tip for about-to-arrive-visitors has:always been: When you get in a taxi, just ask a nonsensical question, like, "Are you an airline pilot?"

If the answer is "Yes", then get out of the taxi.

"tips on how to use taxi service in Thailand will also be provided for tourists"

Given that most Thais who struggle with Engrish, will answer in the affirmative if they're unsure of the question, my tip for about-to-arrive-visitors has:always been: When you get in a taxi, just ask a nonsensical question, like, "Are you an airline pilot?"

If you ask that question; you better be ready to end up at one the the airports !

Good luck with Pattaya - where no taxi meter is turned on, EVER (reason: they're owned by the same cartel as the baht buses).

Same as in Samui. No meter is used... EVER. Why do they even bother have cars labeled as Taxi Meter? Oh right, to con the tourists.

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and haven't had a problem in 4 whole days of taxis. Pattaya, on the other hand, not one taxi puts the meter on, and then they charge you double on top! Phuket, being the worst offenders are outright thieves, I left Phuket mainly because of being hostage to them, not being able to go where I wanted for a decent price. There's been countless crackdowns on Phuket, no one has managed to solve the problem yet.

After 14 years in Thailand, I had many miserable taxi experiences.

When my phone was left in a taxi, after calling my phone he

ransomed it back to me. One taxi driver many years ago asked

me if I liked Thaksin. When I told the driver Thaksin was the

worst thing that ever happened to Thailand, he stopped the cab

and ordered me out. And countless times the driver refused

to use the meter, or did not stop at all. So yeah, I say rein them

in. They are the main contact point for many tourists, and a sad

one at that. The crown for worst taxi driver certainly has to be

the one that had a fare dispute with a farang, pulls out a sword

from his trunk, and kills the farang.....

There have been more crackdowns than anything. More useless talk and little action. I am not even pessimistic. I just know it will last for a few days at best then back to normal. there will be figures splashed out on how many have been fines. They will give themselves a big pat on the bag and announce bad taxis have been eradicated in Thailand. The usual BS.

Good to see someone is getting tough because the courts certainly aren't.

Yes, but they aren't getting tough. This is blowback from the guy who had his meter set "incorrectly" and he'll get a slap on the wrist, a small fine, but has made 1,000 times more than that doing things illegally. Hardly a deterrent.

It'll be the usual "we're going to do this, we're going to do that" for a couple of weeks then it'll be back to normal with the Taxi Mafia telling the BiB how things are gonna work and paying them off as usual.

It's all just hot air no matter how much those at the top claim otherwise.

They might be an airline pilot. I've seen a few attempting to reach take off speed.

Maybe the rewards for taxi driving are better.

I like your idea though.

They might be an airline pilot. I've seen a few attempting to reach take off speed.

Maybe the rewards for taxi driving are better.

I like your idea though.

I had a friend in the police force in the UK. He told me he stopped a guy in RAF uniform for speeding once. He sarcastically said to the guy, "What's up Squadron Leader, can't get enough speed up to take off?"

I'd just like to see them use the meters.

This haggling over inflated prices can suck.

I live in Korat and on top of the taxies say taxy meter but they don't have any meters in the taxies, My next door neighbor is the head of the investigation office in out local police station. He says the taxies here are no good. The police probably get paid off by the taxi company. From the bus station to my house if they had a meter it would be 65 Baht and without the meter it is 150 Baht

They aren't scared of Police threats for sure.

My mates got in a taxi on monday at bkk straight out airport into where all the shady taxis are where they reverse back along the slip road swap into unlicensed taxi carry onto Pattaya the driver will just sit n wait for a illegal hire back to bkk .day in day out .. Get the bus I say

After 14 years in Thailand, I had many miserable taxi experiences.

When my phone was left in a taxi, after calling my phone he

ransomed it back to me. One taxi driver many years ago asked

me if I liked Thaksin. When I told the driver Thaksin was the

worst thing that ever happened to Thailand, he stopped the cab

and ordered me out. And countless times the driver refused

to use the meter, or did not stop at all. So yeah, I say rein them

in. They are the main contact point for many tourists, and a sad

one at that. The crown for worst taxi driver certainly has to be

the one that had a fare dispute with a farang, pulls out a sword

from his trunk, and kills the farang.....

what about the one who picked up a young couple

drove somewhere and collected 2 of his friends

beat up the young guy and robbed his phone and money and left him at the side of the road

kidnapped his pregnant gf and took her to some apartment

where they took turns raping her until she escaped later in the day and reported the crime .......

i would say those 3 are the worst but opinions vary .........