Water situation in Thailand viewed as very critical this year

webfact

Water situation viewed as very critical this year

BANGKOK, 4 February 2016 (NNT) – Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives Ministry undersecretary Theeraphat Prayunsitthi said the water situation in the provinces was viewed as very critical this year.

Drought-hit areas were categorized as an extremely critical area, an almost critical area, an area in need of close surveillance and a normal area.

Measures to tackle a drought crisis have been prepared since September last year with the water levels in major dams having been closely monitored through a data analysis and warning system.

Eight integrated measures have been taken to help drought-affected farmers by raising awareness, reducing household expenses and trimming their debt burdens.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-04 footer_n.gif

I've seen a lot of the usual conflicting "there's a problem/ no, everything's ok" reports in the last few weeks.

Now is this down to poor understanding and shoddy communication between govt. departments, generally incompetent water management, junta propaganda or a subtle blend of all three?

Looking forward to how this one pans out. What are current odds of major flooding throughout Thailand in 2016 , I'll put a couple of k on that happening, and I'd also go on the long shot of BKK getting wet again make it 10

any takers?

Cant the royal rainmaking department just work some overtime?

For a department that promotes it own success, there sure seems to be a lot of droughts.

They only take to the air when it looks like it's going to rain.

Whats the chances of them looking at Songkhran with regards the total waste of needed water? Guess that will never happen as it makes money and thats what its all about. Its ok to have people with no water coming out of their taps in the villages so long as the rest can make money. In most respects the powers to be in Thailand should hang their head in shame. Some are trying to better the country but this is being held back by greed. Will be interesting to see if songkhran is ever even mentioned by the powers to be.

You see, he said in a soft whisper ... a puff of wind ripe with the stink of stale beer ... back where I come from ... the government controls the weather and turns on and off rain storms like you turn on and off your kitchen sink.

Our lands are constantly green and fertile, the budgets are balanced, the streets are free of crime, and in a a rare case where a crime is committed /// the criminal is caught the very same day, given a very fair trial, and then a harsh but humane time in prison.

Yes, back in the glorious Farangatopia. the women are pure and fair, care not for money, but only to be faithful wives who bend at the knee for the lord of the manor.

Ours is a land evolved and perfect, clean as a whistle and a delight ... 24/7 ... 365. Traffic flows in perfect harmony, and all trains and planes depart and arrive exactly on time. Our government workers are like well oiled gears in a Swiss watch, a marvel of efficiency in every way.

Oh! How I miss my beloved homeland! I only came to this horrid Thailand out of pity for the savage natives, to drink some cool beer all day, and lend my support from afar.

How about using the money from the trains, submarines, patrol boats etc etc and instead use that money to put together a fully integrated water management system across the country. This country can't keep bouncing from floods to droughts, there has to be a better way to manage the water situation here.

You see, he said in a soft whisper ... a puff of wind ripe with the stink of stale beer ... back where I come from ... the government controls the weather and turns on and off rain storms like you turn on and off your kitchen sink.

Our lands are constantly green and fertile, the budgets are balanced, the streets are free of crime, and in a a rare case where a crime is committed /// the criminal is caught the very same day, given a very fair trial, and then a harsh but humane time in prison.

Yes, back in the glorious Farangatopia. the women are pure and fair, care not for money, but only to be faithful wives who bend at the knee for the lord of the manor.

Ours is a land evolved and perfect, clean as a whistle and a delight ... 24/7 ... 365. Traffic flows in perfect harmony, and all trains and planes depart and arrive exactly on time. Our government workers are like well oiled gears in a Swiss watch, a marvel of efficiency in every way.

Oh! How I miss my beloved homeland! I only came to this horrid Thailand out of pity for the savage natives, to drink some cool beer all day, and lend my support from afar.

I guess you are what would be called in England FOB, my Indian pals used to talk about people like you

I guess you are what would be called in England FOB, my Indian pals used to talk about people like you

I think your "irony filter settings" may need adjusting!

For a department that promotes it own success, there sure seems to be a lot of droughts.

No clouds = no cloud seeding

Cloud seeding is basically just that they spread chemicals in to the clouds. The chemicals makes the water vapors (in the clouds) condense and thereby form raindrops.

Indians are not pals,they are tailors.

Whats the chances of them looking at Songkhran with regards the total waste of needed water? Guess that will never happen as it makes money and thats what its all about. Its ok to have people with no water coming out of their taps in the villages so long as the rest can make money. In most respects the powers to be in Thailand should hang their head in shame. Some are trying to better the country but this is being held back by greed. Will be interesting to see if songkhran is ever even mentioned by the powers to be.

It's usually for pleas to conserve to be made as soon as Songkran has ended.

No clouds = no cloud seeding

Cloud seeding is basically just that they spread chemicals in to the clouds. The chemicals makes the water vapors (in the clouds) condense and thereby form raindrops.

Air can be saturated without the appearance of clouds and the moisure holding capacity is determined by asmospheric pressure and temperature.

Some even call it RH. More focus is required on enthalpy, not empathy.

Edited by Reigntax

I've seen a lot of the usual conflicting "there's a problem/ no, everything's ok" reports in the last few weeks.

Now is this down to poor understanding and shoddy communication between govt. departments, generally incompetent water management, junta propaganda or a subtle blend of all three?

Look at the blame game going on in Flint Michigan. The person obviously to blame is using the best defense is a good offence game.

If you read the article on the raid at the bridge club that should answer your question about Songkran. Whats that phrase from Forest Gump again. Stupid is as stupid does.

How about using the money from the trains, submarines, patrol boats etc etc and instead use that money to put together a fully integrated water management system across the country. This country can't keep bouncing from floods to droughts, there has to be a better way to manage the water situation here.

Be careful or the Bridge club brigade will come for you.

Be careful or the Bridge club brigade will come for you.

Yeah, but when I play Bridge, there's no money involved so it's not gambling.

Same as when I write something to a friend (only), one-to-one, in private, on Facebook, that's not in the "public domain" as they claim.

Just back home in Kanchanaburi after a day trip to Chachoensao and everywhere rice paddy is either being prepared or already cultivated so the amount of water being pumped must still be huge.

It is all very well warning of drought but without strict enforcement any ban is tokenism at the very best.

Edited by apetley

There is. Have one department, under one man, responsible for water. But then someone would have to take the blame when things go tits up. Better to stick with the Thai way, where ten departments are involved. Then they can have a bit of feet shuffling and finger pointing before deciding it was no ones fault, just a bit of misunderstanding, and no one has to fall on their sword, or worse, lose face.

The golden goose called tourism cannot be harmed by talk of a water crisis, but the same will occur as last year, one week after songkhran, drought water restrictions will be announced nationwide.

Edited by PeVee1st