British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the bottom it says "Almost all forms of gambling apart from the lottery and bets on some animal fighting is outlawed in Thailand, though underground betting is rampant."

so gambling on animal fighting(some) is alright. good to know!!

A bridge too far: Cops smash crime ring of, er, elderly card players
By Coconuts Bangkok
cards_0.jpeg
PATTAYA:-- A vow by Thailand's junta to rid the country of foreign criminals has netted an unlikely group of outlaws — elderly bridge players.
Police and military volunteers raided a bridge club last night in Pattaya, a resort town renowned for its go-go bars and links with organised crime, arresting 32 foreigners, most of them British.
"There were 32 people, all of them foreigners arrested for gambling on Wednesday night," Colonel Suthat Pumphanmuang, Pattaya police superintendent, said today, saying the raid was sparked by a member of the public complaining to the junta's anti-corruption centre.
Almost all forms of gambling apart from the lottery and bets on some animal fighting is outlawed in Thailand, though underground betting is rampant.
cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-04

at the bottom it says "Almost all forms of gambling apart from the lottery and bets on some animal fighting is outlawed in Thailand, though underground betting is rampant."

so gambling on animal fighting(some) is alright. good to know!!

A bridge too far: Cops smash crime ring of, er, elderly card players
By Coconuts Bangkok
cards_0.jpeg
PATTAYA:-- A vow by Thailand's junta to rid the country of foreign criminals has netted an unlikely group of outlaws — elderly bridge players.
Police and military volunteers raided a bridge club last night in Pattaya, a resort town renowned for its go-go bars and links with organised crime, arresting 32 foreigners, most of them British.
"There were 32 people, all of them foreigners arrested for gambling on Wednesday night," Colonel Suthat Pumphanmuang, Pattaya police superintendent, said today, saying the raid was sparked by a member of the public complaining to the junta's anti-corruption centre.
Almost all forms of gambling apart from the lottery and bets on some animal fighting is outlawed in Thailand, though underground betting is rampant.
cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-04

Pity the card playing picture is a hand of Rummy, not Bridge. But there again why let a little misinformation spoil a good story

Kill someone driving drunk and pay the family a few baht. Own 120 playing cards and go down for 3 years.

All over the worlds media now. Not as a news item but as an "and finally" item used to report on something funny ridiculous or stupid. This is all of the above.

When it comes to saving face the only place it's been saved is in their heads. To the rest of the world it's on the floor in 120 pieces.

50 old people who lead a peaceful life and spend lots of money..... None were wearing a vest and had tattoos I bet !!

if it is against law....what is the problem? Eveb old peple have to follow law. You don't agree?

It was not against the law , Bridge is a recognized sport in Thailand. No money were involved.

The police did not do their home work .

No, I doubt it. Another member even mention a special section....Matbe thet "stretched" the law, but I'm convinced the action is backed by law.

Try reading all the reports. They, the district officials and army were tipped off about this farang gambling den and reported it to police who acted. Army and DO's went along too,

There was no evidence of gambling, so they had to scour the law books and came up with the 120 card rule and the lack of Excise seals. However the esteemed President of the Thai Bridge League claims that these laws don't apply as Bridge is recognized as a non gambling sport.

Looks like a tip off was wrong, so the usual effort to try and save face by finding anything to charge them with.

Let's see if they get their bail money back.

It was not against the law , Bridge is a recognized sport in Thailand. No money were involved.

The police did not do their home work .

No, I doubt it. Another member even mention a special section....Matbe thet "stretched" the law, but I'm convinced the action is backed by law.

Try reading all the reports. They, the district officials and army were tipped off about this farang gambling den and reported it to police who acted. Army and DO's went along too,

There was no evidence of gambling, so they had to scour the law books and came up with the 120 card rule and the lack of Excise seals. However the esteemed President of the Thai Bridge League claims that these laws don't apply as Bridge is recognized as a non gambling sport.

Looks like a tip off was wrong, so the usual effort to try and save face by finding anything to charge them with.

Let's see if they get their bail money back.

yeah, at the moment there is more than confusion even. To come to the point: nobody knows exactly what and why happened. We will know within the next days. Hopefully.

1000's of retired people all over the world who were looking for a nice, exotic country to retire to where they would spend millions of baht suddenly wiped Thailand off their list . Well done to the military in charge.

Unbelievable. dry.png

Case Against Elderly Bridge Players Moves Forward

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

PATTAYA — Thirty-two elderly, bridge-playing foreigners will face the music and must defend their innocence in court, Pattaya police said today.

After a surprise crackdown in which seniors were arrested under an antiquated law made headlines worldwide Thursday, Police said the elderly Westerners are now free on 5,000 baht bonds.

“The case will still have to follow the legal process,” said Col. Sukthat Pumpanmuang, commander of the Pattaya Police Station.

Police did not find evidence of gambling when they raided Alto’s Restaurant and Bar on Wednesday and took the players into custody, but they seized computers on suspicion the players, 26 men and six women, might have been making electronic transfers of money.

The senior citizens were held until the early hours of the morning before being released. The oldest of the suspects is 84. They will all be charged under a law nearly as old.

More here - khaosodenglish

kse.png
-- Khaosod English February 5, 2016

All the (funny) comments on this thread aside, there must be more to this, a lot more, I imagine, as Thai Police are not that stupid and eager to waste their resources like they seem to have done here.

To be continued...

Are you serious? "The Thai police are not that stupid". Aside from that comment they seemed to have broken the law??? themselves. Fining without a conviction??

From the above article:

Bridge was once a prohibited form of gambling under a 1935 law, but became permitted in 1960 so long as no money changed hands, according to Chodchoy Sophonpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand.

Banglamung District Chief Chakorn Kanjawattana, who provided the tip to police that led to the crackdown, insisted bridge is only legal if played in a private group at a private residence. He said it’s up to the court to decide whether the seniors, who were playing in a public place, aimed to gamble.

No, it's up to the prosecution to provide evidence that the seniors aimed to gamble. Nothing I've seen or read indicates that. However, I'm willing to bet (no pun intended) that the RTP only have to say that the seniors intended to gamble by showing their 31 signed confessions, and the court will find them guilty. Bye bye bail money - that's been confiscated, plus a heavy fine on top.

This is obviously an international syndicate with a ringleader .

The 74 yr old won't talk and she may be the ring leader. The bridge club may be a front for the high rollers involved, BIB await further interrogation and investigation.

How much may have been turned over in a single night ? who knows !! tea money !! ????

It wouldn't surprise me to see these dastardly bridge players convicted. After all in this Country you can get sent down for 15 years for picking mushrooms, and get fined hundreds of thousands of baht foe having a picture of an open alcohol bottle on a restaurant menu.

From the above article:

Bridge was once a prohibited form of gambling under a 1935 law, but became permitted in 1960 so long as no money changed hands, according to Chodchoy Sophonpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand.

Banglamung District Chief Chakorn Kanjawattana, who provided the tip to police that led to the crackdown, insisted bridge is only legal if played in a private group at a private residence. He said its up to the court to decide whether the seniors, who were playing in a public place, aimed to gamble.

No, it's up to the prosecution to provide evidence that the seniors aimed to gamble. Nothing I've seen or read indicates that. However, I'm willing to bet (no pun intended) that the RTP only have to say that the seniors intended to gamble by showing their 31 signed confessions, and the court will find them guilty. Bye bye bail money - that's been confiscated, plus a heavy fine on top.

Now that's a new level of stubborn. Told my the president of organized bridge in Thailand that its been legal for over 50 years he decides that on his watch the rules are completely different.

Amazing.

From the above article:

Banglamung District Chief Chakorn Kanjawattana, who provided the tip to police that led to the crackdown, insisted bridge is only legal if played in a private group at a private residence. He said it’s up to the court to decide whether the seniors, who were playing in a public place, aimed to gamble.

I think the papers the people were asked to sign were not confessions but acknowledgements they had been charged with.....

In the same way that I believe if you do not sign a traffic ticket in the US you can be arrested for not doing so. It does not say you are guilty. the problem is it is all in Thai and we have all been told not to sign anything we cannot and have not read and understood.

Unbelievable. dry.png

Case Against Elderly Bridge Players Moves Forward

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

PATTAYA — Thirty-two elderly, bridge-playing foreigners will face the music and must defend their innocence in court, Pattaya police said today.

After a surprise crackdown in which seniors were arrested under an antiquated law made headlines worldwide Thursday, Police said the elderly Westerners are now free on 5,000 baht bonds.

“The case will still have to follow the legal process,” said Col. Sukthat Pumpanmuang, commander of the Pattaya Police Station.

Police did not find evidence of gambling when they raided Alto’s Restaurant and Bar on Wednesday and took the players into custody, but they seized computers on suspicion the players, 26 men and six women, might have been making electronic transfers of money.

The senior citizens were held until the early hours of the morning before being released. The oldest of the suspects is 84. They will all be charged under a law nearly as old.

More here - khaosodenglish

kse.png

-- Khaosod English February 5, 2016

If convicted, the international 'blow-back' will be unreal. All in the name of 'saving face'. This is quickly going to become a Brer Rabbit vs the Tar-baby moment for Thailand. Guess it will just have to play out.

don't know anything about Bridge. Can I ask a stupid question? Is Bridge ever even associated with gambling?

I googled it and got links to very technical discussions of some kind of opening strategy only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I think about it, his claim of only being legal in private residences could be construed to cover the private clubs in Bangkok.

He wants to go forward against some farangs in Pattaya but take out some insurance against involving some very serious people elsewhere.

"Banglamung District Chief Chakorn Kanjawattana, who provided the tip to police that led to the crackdown, insisted bridge is only legal if played in a private group at a private residence."

So the event below held last December in Bangkok, and others like it played in public venues with corporate sponsors are illegal?

http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com/asean/index.php?mode=information

Edited by connda