British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

Obviously not much crime going down in Pattaya these days. 50+ bored BiB without nothing better to do = "Spare me Days" blink.png

They have been chastised for not speeding up to solve over 600 outstanding cases...

Does this make it 601 unsolved cases, or have they been given a few hours deadline to come up with a few (retired pensioners) crims to prosecute

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said it’s up to the court to decide whether the seniors, who were playing in a public place, aimed to gamble. unquote. Sooo now the court will be a mind reader sans evidence to decide if their intent was gambling what a joke. We all know what the court will say its a foregone conclusion and the fine will be larger than that Thai's pay for the same offence. There will be a large enough fine levied times 32 so that everybody will get a cut. The wild wild west sorry east. Must be nice to work at a job where you get a basic salary plus commissions.

I really don't know where to start with this one!!

After coming here for the past 15 years (living here for 14 of them) I have seen so many ridiculous and stupid things, and in the early days used to find some scenarios intriguing.

This one though has truly taken the biscuit!!!!

The real problem though isn't the old folk playing an innocent game of bridge, nor is it the number of officials and resources used in this, "raid" (although the second point is clearly overkill).

The problems here are;

1) there was a tip off regarding foreign criminal activity which had to be followed up (no matter how ludicrous) or loss of face appears.

2) there was a good chance of extracting money from the OAP's for committing the heinous crime.

3) someone in authority has authorized the, "raid" and in Thai culture nobody is allowed to question that decision.

4) the authorizing person got an idea in his / her head, and absolutely no thought went into it before or after authorizing the, "raid".

If you pay attention to anything in Thailand, from any form of construction, public services, management, etc, etc, etc, you will notice that the above four problems occur on a daily, hourly, and minutely basis in one way or another.

What this particular case has managed to do is grab the attention of the the nation (and hopefully much further afield) and highlight the gross stupidity that is taking place here on a regular basis.

Archaic and ridiculous laws on on the books in every country, Thailand is no exception. When I was in high school in Virginia, I took my art class girlfriend out into the country to draw an old grist mill. On the way. we stopped at a local store to buy some art paper. It was against the law to buy unlined paper on Sundays. Yeah, that's right, unlined paper; lined paper was fine. Since we had no paper on which to draw, but we did have our picnic lunch and a blanket; what else were two teenagers to do?

Lunch and a blanket, I'm sure you could have found a little something hanging around to fill in the afternoon ..............

This is going to be a good story i can tell. If pressure is put on the court to drop the case the police lose face, if the old folks get prosecuted all hell will break lose in the international press world. It's a lose lose situation for Thailand and the guy who initiated this farce must be squirming in a corner right now.

The lady pictured is the president of the Thai bridge club/association, she's been doing rounds of the Thai media explaining the game and already visited Pattaya police in person to sort things out, oh and her family owns the Bangkok Bank....

Pattaya police and officials at Banglamung District that instigated the raid must now be very nervous

One law for the Pattaya dweller and another for the members of the Royal Bangkok Sport club who have a cards room

image_0_1403161532.jpg

image_0_1403160271.jpg

This is going to be a good story i can tell. If pressure is put on the court to drop the case the police lose face, if the old folks get prosecuted all hell will break lose in the international press world. It's a lose lose situation for Thailand and the guy who initiated this farce must be squirming in a corner right now.

If you really think they care about it you haven't understood Thai mentality. They are right, everyone else does not understand Thai law enforcement.

Jezus why the <deleted> do old age pensioners want to reside in a so called beach resort wich has for years been run by one of the greatest criminal families known on the Thai eastern seaboard.

Even the foreign police volunteers or any expat club in said sexs resort is run by foreign criminals .

No country for old men or woman,retire in <deleted> Benidorm....

The number of retired westerners in Pattaya seems to be on the rise, and for many good reasons. It's an easy place to stay, cheap, an abundance of excellent food, enough hospitals, supermarkets with western food, 20 plus golf courses, close to the sea, easy access to the airport etc.

Oh... and you can play bridge there cheesy.gif

Only because it's cheap thats the only reason ahum?excellent food nope,hospitals maybe if you have good Insurance wich most OAP'S do not have because to expensive or to old because of old age and former medical conditions so nope,western food costs more in Thailand then the west so nope,beaches in pattaya are full of trash and what ever,......etc.

If you really think they care about it you haven't understood Thai mentality. They are right, everyone else does not understand Thai law enforcement.

you are right, but they care about tourist money and even they can see that this is not good publicity. People get raped, murdered, scammed and robed, many old people might think this can't happen to me we just want a quiet holiday with a few friends and then they read about people in their age group being arrested for playing bridge, a no no holiday destination.

After coming here for the past 15 years (living here for 14 of them) I have seen so many ridiculous and stupid things, and in the early days used to find some scenarios intriguing.

The real problem though isn't the old folk playing an innocent game of bridge, nor is it the number of officials and resources used in this, "raid" (although the second point is clearly overkill).

The problems here are;

1) there was a tip off regarding foreign criminal activity which had to be followed up (no matter how ludicrous) or loss of face appears.

2) there was a good chance of extracting money from the OAP's for committing the heinous crime.

3) someone in authority has authorized the, "raid" and in Thai culture nobody is allowed to question that decision.

4) the authorizing person got an idea in his / her head, and absolutely no thought went into it before or after authorizing the, "raid".

If you pay attention to anything in Thailand, from any form of construction, public services, management, etc, etc, etc, you will notice that the above four problems occur on a daily, hourly, and minutely basis in one way or another.

What this particular case has managed to do is grab the attention of the the nation (and hopefully much further afield) and highlight the gross stupidity that is taking place here on a regular basis.

Archaic and ridiculous laws on on the books in every country, Thailand is no exception. When I was in high school in Virginia, I took my art class girlfriend out into the country to draw an old grist mill. On the way. we stopped at a local store to buy some art paper. It was against the law to buy unlined paper on Sundays. Yeah, that's right, unlined paper; lined paper was fine. Since we had no paper on which to draw, but we did have our picnic lunch and a blanket; what else were two teenagers to do?

Lunch and a blanket, I'm sure you could have found a little something hanging around to fill in the afternoon ..............

He filled it in on the blanket

The problems here are;

He filled it in on the blanket

I would hope so, never waste an opportunity...

My understanding the order for this raid came from the office of a higher authority...

Head of same office, stated that the murders on Kho Tao could not have been committed by a Thai person...

Same person who throws a tantrum when proved to be foolishly wrong, but wants everybody to like him.

50 Thai police raid bridge club while lady boys robbing and drugs are sold but playing bridge is a much more dangerous crime. Some one should drug test the senior official for this stupid waste of time and policemen who should have been doing there real job. Catching drug dealers or lady boy robbers or bouncers beating up innocent men. So sad to see that no one wants to tackle the real problem. No tea money in a Bridge game!

I think the FCO should modify its list of warnings about Thailand and mention that merely being present in a room that contains more than 120 playing cards can be grounds for arrest regardless of whether any gambling is going on.

Dear Readers,

I was one of the criminals arrested on Wednesday last and whilst, at the time, we all couldn't believe what.....

DW

My dear God! I wish you Derek and all the others my moral support from abroad.

If there is ever is a time diplomacy must be practiced it is now.

Well interestingly enough.. the police came to visit the wife out our new house today.. claiming that we were illegally running card games upstairs.. the police demanded to see the upstairs and all they found was furniture..

informed the missus that if they return tell them to poke it.

Kurt

I thought diplomacy would come by way of consular support. As an Australian taxpayer I am still wondering if the Australian Embassy Consular services have been in touch

Dear Readers,
I was one of the criminals arrested on Wednesday last and whilst, at the time, we all couldn't believe what.....
DW

My dear God! I wish you Derek and all the others my moral support from abroad.

If there is ever is a time diplomacy must be practiced it is now.

Well interestingly enough.. the police came to visit the wife out our new house today.. claiming that we were illegally running card games upstairs.. the police demanded to see the upstairs and all they found was furniture..

informed the missus that if they return tell them to poke it.

Kurt

Someone in your community wants you out!

Extract from today's news:

Bridge has a special exemption under Thai law. It is not considered gambling. World wide, it is listed as a "Mind sport", much like chess. Not a single baht exchanges hands during these three weekly bridge sessions.

So why are these guys being prosecuted? For not using the 'approved' cards? For having more than 120 cards per individual? Sorry, it's exempt - read above.

So, Chiang Mai bridge club, or anywhere else in Thailand. Ensure the premises are licensed. Ensure official approved Thai cards are used. Put up a sign stating 'This club plays duplicate bridge, where NO gambling takes place by any player, and is therefore exempt under Thai law.'

And if players still get arrested and fined at sea-side resorts, start a group jet-ski business instead...

This story was funny right up to the point I read that 2 of the OAP's were denied there medicine in jail and that the Thai appointed lawyer told them to sign confessions so as to get home, and the fact that all but one old lady did so even the former British honoury Consul in Pattaya is frightening.

Post removed due to this forum rule:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Archived